Jaguars!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 5 months

There also seems to be some difficulty in obtaining copies in certain areas..!

Haven't seen any yet in Devon.

Member for

24 years 3 months

As rare as hen's teeth, like rocking horse pooh, still haven't found one...

Member for

16 years 5 months

Saw a pile in Tescos Hatfield yesterday

Member for

18 years

The wing fences and the over wing pylons are in the wrong position too. They sit directly over the top of the inner pylons in real life. Who did your drawings?

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm not driving to Hatfield for a magazine!!! :D

Member for

24 years 3 months

Brilliant close formation work here....

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 3 months

Hi All,
Doing some ground work at the top Burton Dasset Hills many years ago and a Jaguar came screaming past my position, because of my elevation he seemed like feet away, but as he banked as he rounded the peak where I was working I swear he waved :stupid: anyway as he banked I could clearly see inside the cockpit best sight and sound and a memory I will never forget. :love-struck:
Peter,
Excellent video those crazy French pilots again . :stupid: :highly_amused:

Geoff.

Member for

18 years

Basic errors like the "31st of April 2007", looks like it didn't get a good proof read. Virtually all the drawings have the same photo shop error and photographs that have been credited to non existent people. Stu has multiple images included in the publication without his correct acknowledgement of name (and unlikely his proper permission, they are of XX741 and I was at the events he took the photo's). The usual rubbish about the Maritime Jaguar with its successful carrier trials. The second trial was finished early as the aircraft had fatigue cracks on the fuselage and the French Test Pilots were damming in their reports of the tests (been told that by a British liaison officer that saw the paperwork). It does mention a half decent flight test section stating engine development hindering the airframe, however missing A04s escape from the same accident A03 had (that confirmed the single engine performance), E01s maiden flight was not a 100% success (broke an undercarriage door due to unforeseen aerodynamic effects) and the other aerodynamic issues, other publication point to. Drawings spoil it and too many errors.

Member for

24 years 3 months

So pretty much a typical Kelsey 'bookazine' then. I seem to remember almost identical comments being posted on here about their Vampire effort. The couple of supermarkets around this way that stock it still have a mountain of them on the shelf. None of the regular newsagents seem to have it.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Jaguar edition was the first Icons issue to be published by Key, so I suppose some teething problems were only to be expected.

Talk about 'biting the hand'

Blaming your employer for editorial shortcomings seems to me very bravura.

Moggy

Member for

10 years 3 months

Mike/Moggy - I'm quite sure that no supermarket has a "mountain" of any magazine edition. Distribution doesn't work like that. If you don't happen to like the Kelsey/Key bookazines, then perhaps you might like to explain why? I'm sure that we'd all be more than willing to respond to views and criticism, but oblique comments that infer criticism (but say nothing of any value) don't help you or us.

As for Canopener's posts, I'm not quite sure what he's trying to say. I'm quite sure there are mistakes here and there, but then there are always mistakes in every book and every magazine on every subject. The best that one can do is to work hard to avoid them. In the case of the Jaguar edition, I wrote the material myself and I worked hard to create an interesting and readable account of the Jaguar within the space available. I think we produced a very good publication (which has been very well received) but if it wasn't as good as he expected, then I'm sorry that he was disappointed.

But I would of course appreciate any thoughts from readers, as the Icons series can only continue to improve if we have a better understanding of precisely what readers want to see - or don't want to see.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I'm not driving to Hatfield for a magazine!!! :D

The mountain of copies in Tesco in Cambridge has vanished now Bob, to be replaced with copies of the Inter-War Bombers bookazine. Better get a copy of the Jaguar one quick, before they're all pulped, as nowhere seems to have them on sale now.

Member for

24 years 3 months

From the reports of poor printing and other errors I think I'll give it a miss. Maybe I'll find one in a charity shop....

Member for

10 years 3 months

The mountain of copies in Tesco in Cambridge has vanished
Good to hear - must have sold very quickly then if they've already gone :)

We're still trying to sort-out the circulation on the Jaguar issue - Tescos seem to have beaten WH Smiths hands down. It's a mystery why this has happened though but hopefully all will be sorted before the next Icons edition goes on sale in a couple of weeks or so :)

Member for

10 years 3 months

Just to update - the distribution problems appear to have been addressed, and the next edition in the series (F-4 Phantom) is now going on sale :)

Member for

24 years 3 months

Well, finally managed to find a copy - in my local garden centre!

No printing flaws in the copy I got. Found it an interesting read (aside from the occasional typo - proof reader needs to work harder ;) ) with the underhand 'politics' of the venture between BAC and Breguet/Dassault, and I hadn't been aware that the IAF was still using the Jaguar, so at least I learned something new from my investment.
Sad to think the Indians still operate the Sea Harrier AND Jaguar yet we barely have an air force these days and the Harrier 'replacement' is turning into another defence procurement farce.

Always had a soft spot for the Jag - don't know what sets it apart from other military jets - it just looks right...

Anyway, a better read than the Cold War Warriors bookazine IMO.

Member for

10 years 3 months

Glad you liked it. The typo problem is being addressed and we've already improved things since the Jaguar issue. We've also sorted-out the print problems. Distribution still seems to be a bit mixed though, so if anyone still finds it difficult to get copies of the Icons series, do say so. The next edition in the series is out in a few days and we're already working on the one after that - which is probably my favourite aeroplane, so I'm enjoying the research :)

Member for

17 years 6 months

I gave up trying to get a copy.

Member for

18 years 9 months

Glad you liked it. The typo problem is being addressed and we've already improved things since the Jaguar issue. We've also sorted-out the print problems. Distribution still seems to be a bit mixed though, so if anyone still finds it difficult to get copies of the Icons series, do say so. The next edition in the series is out in a few days and we're already working on the one after that - which is probably my favourite aeroplane, so I'm enjoying the research :)

I ordered six copies of the Jag issue when it was first published and only one was delivered - I was told the rest were back ordered. Any chance I'll be seeing those?

Member for

10 years 3 months

If the order was made with Key Publishing, I would advise you to contact the supplier directly as that sounds like a mistake to me - I can't see why there would have been a delay of that length