Duxford may lose staff and education funding

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-30053234

Duxford war museum could lose its education department and nearly a quarter of its workforce under plans to cut costs, a union has claimed.

Prospect said the Imperial War Museum (IWM) group wanted to cut services at its Cambridgeshire and London sites to save £4m a year.

South Cambridgeshire MP Andrew Lansley said it was "really important" Duxford's teaching was maintained.

IWM said it was in consultation with staff over the plans.

Prospect said cutbacks to education visits at Duxford would affect five jobs in the unit itself and 20 more administration and management posts. About 50,000 children visit the site each year during school trips.

'Committed to education'
The union said any subsequent reduction in visitors could spark further cutbacks, leading to the site shutting during the winter and families being charged to bring in their children, who currently go free.

Original post

Member for

11 years 6 months

If we presume the figures as presented to be accurate it would seem somewhat profligate to spend £40 million refurbishing Lambeth whilst having to save £4 million due to grant reductions.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Does this tie-in with the curriculum changes that mean that history is taught in chronological order; study of the World Wars not happening until well into Secondary School (long after 'school trips' have ended)?

Member for

21 years 1 month

As Duxford unlike most museums (especially London) charges up to £17.50p I am surprised they need to cut
staff and services. Or are Duxford's takings subsidising the other sites?
mmitch.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Well clearly the sums don't add up or they would not need to......

Member for

24 years 3 months

its makes no sense. Surely the whole purpose of Duxford is about education?

In 'Britain at War' magazine we will also be looking at the wider proposals which, say staff, could result in the closure of the Library at the Imperial War Museum. (Issue on sale 23 December)

Financial savings apparently have to be made, but to be fair no final decisions have yet been taken as to how those savings will be implemented.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Agreed, Sadsack!

The value of an effective Education Department is immeasurable - and I believe Duxford's to be the best I have encountered. I am biased - I am a regular user and used to help them out a bit years ago.

My students can gain a lot from seeing and hearing about exhibits and exhibitions; but for a memorable learning experience you can't beat getting hands on with stirrup pumps, gas masks, sirens and rattles - all explained by approachable and knowledgeable staff!

It would be, in my opinion, CRIMINAL to close Duxford's education department. Hopefully, based on what Andy has said, we may not get to that point.

Member for

24 years 3 months

re;

It would be, in my opinion, CRIMINAL to close Duxford's education department. Hopefully, based on what Andy has said, we may not get to that point.[/QUOTE]

Museums providing education facilities are entitled to all kinds of funding. I was told years ago, "put Education or Equal oppurtunities on your application and you will get your money" - we did, and we got our funding.

Member for

17 years

Why is there 20 admin and management jobs supporting 5 education department jobs? Surely that ratio should be reversed in an efficient workplace.
Paul

Member for

11 years 6 months

Isn't that typical of public funded organisations in general? Step forward the NHS!!

Member for

14 years 1 month

Museums providing education facilities are entitled to all kinds of funding. I was told years ago, "put Education or Equal oppurtunities on your application and you will get your money" - we did, and we got our funding.

Is this dependant on whether a museum charges an entrance fee or not ?

Member for

18 years 11 months

Why is there 20 admin and management jobs supporting 5 education department jobs? Surely that ratio should be reversed in an efficient workplace.
Paul

I think you'll find they manage more than just the 5 education department staff.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ironic that they've just spent £40 million cocking-up Lambeth and are now talking about having to close one of it's most valuable services and booting out a quarter of its staff to "cut costs". Beggars belief.

Member for

11 years 6 months

Quite so...#2.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Indeed, but I visited Lambeth on the weekend for the first time since the refurbishment and was very disappointed with what they've done to it, so couldn't resist having a dig of my own! :)

Member for

16 years 9 months

On BBC local news this morning - Duxford's education department is to get money from the bank fines pot!

The figure of £8M was mentioned, but I can't believe that is all for education at Duxford.

Hopefully now business as usual - maybe even better than usual!

Good news to start the day!

Member for

17 years 6 months

The £8million figure is to be spread over 'all five' IWM sites; Duxford share will be £2million, I think.

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's excellent news. Hopefully IWM can sharpen their pencil and balance the books better to ensure the same crisis doesn't recur once this one-off windfall is used up.

Member for

18 years 11 months

That's excellent news. Hopefully IWM can sharpen their pencil and balance the books better to ensure the same crisis doesn't recur once this one-off windfall is used up.

As you say Mike J. This is good news if it is true, however, I am mindful that a one-off "windfall" would be good, in terms of balancing the books the reduction in government grant is year-on-year, hence this whilst helping, will not permanently make good the deficit.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Indeed Mr K