Starve Acre, Longmoor.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 5 months

This is a bit of a fishing expedition.(and has been posted elsewhere)

Looking for any info on the use of the strips at Longmoor and Starve Acre(both in Hampshire)
....aircraft types, identities, dates, units....anything at all.Somebody must have seen something .Photos would be nice as well.Any info gathered will, providers willing, appear on my Hampshire Airfields website.
MTIA

Dave Fagan

Original post

Member for

16 years

come on 83 you must know

Member for

16 years

Starve acre - where is that near

Member for

15 years 5 months

Between Farnborough and Blackbushe
N51.19.19/W000.47.25.

Member for

16 years

Oh -sorry no cords here but I guess you mean the criss cross AAC strip. only visited be helicopters since about 1975, Beavers before that.
Longmoor- you mean the eastwest stip alongside the road. Beaver about 1975, nothing since. (but I know where the control tower was moved to.

Member for

15 years 5 months

Yes those are the places.

Answers elsewhere seem to indicate that the Starve Acre strips were used regularly by AAC helos,Harriers and US Army types as well up till the mid-90s.

LOngmoor- used by various Helos certainly up till the 80s (AAC/USMC) and reported long ago elsewhere that a Hercules was seen there...I presume on a low flyby- perhaps ULLA drop?

Anything else very welcome particularly photos.

Member for

16 years

Well Longmoor - strip on southside of road is outside of the Range and on wrong side of A3. Similar to when we left El Adem the ground was chewed up by tracked vehicles. Not suitable for any fixed wing(even PA18!) since 1975ish. The helicopters have landed inside the ranges & within the little west training camp with 5 railway wagons for many years.

Starve Acre - not been in that area for years. But if you have that info from elsewhere ?Why ask here?

Member for

15 years 5 months

Starve Acre - not been in that area for years. But if you have that info from elsewhere ?Why ask here?

That, if you'll pardon me saying, is a pretty senseless question.

I am asking here because I hope that,. somewhere amongst the numbers of very knowledgeable members here, someone will perhaps know a little more than the rather sketchy details I have so far amassed.

For instance, it seems likely that control of the strips at Starve acre was with Farnborough approach or tower - someone may know.

If I don't ask I am never likely to find anything.

Member for

16 years

Oh still ?
but
Quite aside from that - I love you website/WELL DONE for putting it all together & out there. TKU

Member for

15 years 5 months

Thanks - in the process of re-doing the website in a slightly less gaudy fashion!
:)