WB-29 in an Alaskan Lake

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Thanks for that, fascinating read.

Member for

10 years 8 months

Last August, a team of divers went into the aircraft, where they found a table with a grease pencil writing, confirming the tail number and the names of the crew that detected the nuclear test...

...Crews were able to find “purposeful” damage to the fuselage, which could be consistent with egress training. Most of the original parts had been removed.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/2014/11/09/eielson-chips-away-at-the-mystery-of-a-submerged-wb-29-bomber/18758967/

How strange: they removed most 'original parts' but leave a table with grease pencil writing which confirms the serial number and crew names for a particular flight that took place some years before its demise.

Anyone else confused by that?

Member for

14 years 1 month

How strange: they removed most 'original parts' but leave a table with grease pencil writing which confirms the serial number and crew names for a particular flight that took place some years before its demise.

Anyone else confused by that?

Confused more by what is new about any of this? It's been known to be 44-83905 for a loooong time and the circumstances of its current location too (landing gear failed on landing, 7th April 1956, beyond economical repair, for use as ditching trainer).

So unless I missed something that contradicts this, I don't really understand what the story is telling us, other than that people up there seem to have very short memories!

Member for

20 years 1 month

So unless I missed something that contradicts this, I don't really understand what the story is telling us, other than that people up there seem to have very short memories!

We are not short of bandwidth ! Without a doubt many people here will read of this for the first time. If a post provokes interest and comment ( or even further news ) it will flourish, and if not, it will naturally slide to obscurity ! Post away :)

Member for

14 years 1 month

We are not short of bandwidth ! Without a doubt many people here will read of this for the first time. If a post provokes interest and comment ( or even further news ) it will flourish, and if not, it will naturally slide to obscurity ! Post away :)

I was referring to the AF Times article, which seems to be short of memory, rather than the posters who followed on from it!

;)

Member for

18 years 10 months

In the History Channel show Deep-Sea Detectives, they devoted an entire episode to running around to several places in the eastern US "trying to solve the mystery of the mystery destroyer found off the east coast of the US".
http://shop.history.com/deep-sea-detectives-destroyer-down-dvd/detail.php?p=68796
The bow of a ship had been found - with the numbers showing it was the bow of USS Murphy DD-603 - which was listed as having been scrapped in 1972!

Of course, they had to dig deep into archives, look into war action reports, etc - while I just looked at the entry on DD-603 in the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (held in most city, county, & university libraries in the US).

That volume had been published in the 1960s, and the entry noted that her bow had been cut off in a collision in 1943, with the bow 1/3 sinking and the stern 2/3 being towed back to the New York Navy Yard where a new bow was built. It even gave the date, approximate location, and the name of the merchant vessel that rammed her.

It is all the need of the media to "sex up" a mundane story in order to generate more interest/readership/viewers.

Now, having set the hook in the first story, the Air Force Times (which is published by a private company, not the US government) can run a series of follow-on articles, following the "story" of "the unraveling of the mystery" - where if they had just written what is easily available, there would be only the one not-very-interesting story.

Member for

14 years 1 month

Now, having set the hook in the first story, the Air Force Times (which is published by a private company, not the US government) can run a series of follow-on articles, following the "story" of "the unraveling of the mystery" - where if they had just written what is easily available, there would be only the one not-very-interesting story.

A valid point, well made.

Member for

10 years 8 months

Confused more by what is new about any of this?

No. I was referring to the fact that apparently they had removed most 'original parts' - presumably for spares or whatever - prior to it being heaved into the pond yet left a table seemingly marked with the serial and the names of the crew on a specific flight several years before it was DBR'd written in grease pencil.
Rather convenient for their story that the serial was there (to prove their point, I suppose) and strange that the crew names for a flight five-odd years previous hadn't been wiped out, deliberately or accidentally.

Member for

11 years 3 months

They didn't even have to get wet, there is a notice board right next to the pond telling all of its history!!!!!