Biggin Hill Remembrance Day Flypast

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wow....what an excellent, informative, and evocative photo essay. 'Well done' to all at BHHH and supporting participants for making this event possible. The Hurricane scheme is really excellent. Those oversize letters intruiged me as a youngster when building models. 'Funny they're so big', I used to think.

Were instructions given, I wonder, to paint the markings with no regards for the size of aircraft on to which they were to be applied? The size looks large enough for a bomber.

Member for

18 years 2 months

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/2014/11/11/aviation-feature-biggin-hill-heritage-hangar-commemorates-remembrance-sunday/

A write-up and plenty of photos from the flypast in the article linked above, and an example image below. Smashing effort by all involved.

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/v2/wp-content/gallery/bhhh-remembrance-day-2014/Biggin0911_564-copy_1.jpg

Oh yes! That is lovely! And I've just twigged that it's Pete Brothers markings too! I've wanted to see a Hurricane painted up as a tribute to him for years! Shame he's no longer with us to see this rather gorgeous Hurricane!

Now, can we persuade someone to paint a Mk I Spit in Al Deere's markings please?

Regards;
Steve

Member for

24 years 3 months

Perhaps as a fitting accompaniment...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]233183[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

19 years 5 months

Did the original GZ-L have a DH or Rotol prop?;)

Member for

24 years 3 months

I was betting on the roundel police getting there first...I lost my bet! (tongue in cheek smiley)

Member for

12 years 4 months

Now, can we persuade someone to paint a Mk I Spit in Al Deere's markings please?

Well if you offered to swap a Mk I for Brendon Deere's current one...
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5310/5644455844_6dd986a0b0_z.jpgSpitAL_3967 by errolgc, on Flickr

Member for

14 years 4 months

The historians keep telling us that the Hurricane did more damage to the Luftwaffe during the BoB than all other causes combined. What they seldom mention (I've only seen it quoted once) is the kill to loss ratio by squadrons. Average figures are 5.5 for a Hurricane squadron and 7.5 for a Spitfire Squadron. On that basis it's a good thing we had more Hurricane squadrons than Spitfire ones.

Trying to figure this one out. Is that pilots lost per plane lost ?

Member for

17 years 10 months

Isn't that Spitfire Mk I X4650, which led the flypast on Sunday? Marked up as 'KL-A'.

It was a lovely tribute to end the Remembrance Sunday silence and I think the four ship break to land was one of the best I've seen. A big thank you to the BHHH team and the other aircraft owners for coming together to do it.

Regards,

Dan

Member for

20 years 8 months

KL-B is Deere's Spitfire.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Trying to figure this one out. Is that pilots lost per plane lost ?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Those figures are aircraft not pilots.

Member for

17 years 10 months

KL-B is Deere's Spitfire.

Thanks Daren, my mistake.

Regards,

Dan

Member for

14 years 4 months

Sorry, I should have been more specific. Those figures are aircraft not pilots.

Hi.

Still confused then, sorry. Those ratios suggest the RAF downed the LW at a ratio of around 6 of theirs to one of ours ? These must be claims then, rather than confirmed kills ? Apologies if i am being slow on understanding.