I.F.F. destruction.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Can anybody explain to me the self destruct mechanism installed in the I.F.F. box, in a Spitfire.

How much explosive was used and how much collateral damage was inflicted?
Was there a timer delay?

...this is a picture of destruct buttons, (maybe off American A/C) which had to be depressed simultaneously.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]232928[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Original post

Member for

11 years 9 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]232930[/ATTACH]

Pleased to attach a photo of the destruct button and switch in a Spitfire MkVb, one has to switch the toggle switch on, then lift the flap marked "DANGER" then depress both the push buttons at the same time.Hope this answers part of your question.

Regards

Jason

Attachments

Member for

15 years 10 months

Detonators were fitted in sensitive equipment similar in appearance to a posh metal pen lid filled with explosive that would shatter and destroy the equipment without causing extensive damage to the rest of the aircraft.

Member for

16 years

Horsa gliders also had a modification to fit a destructor but whether it was only for use when a Gee/Rebecca unit or AMES radar was carried I don't know. Either way I imagine it was enough to blow the thing apart or at least set it well ablaze.

The story of Spitfire N3277, 234 Squadron, 15 August 1940, was covered in 'Britain at War' magazine some while ago.

The damage was actually caused by either a 20mm cannon shell fired by a Me 109 of JG 53, or else by a 20mm ack-ack battery which is known to have fired at the Spitfire as Plt Off Hardy brought it into land on the Cherbourg Peninsula.

I believe I am correct in saying that destruct equipment would not have been carried at this time.

The thread here http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?128809-Battle-of-Britain-Images&p=2114908#post2114908 and #79 refers in detail.

Member for

17 years 6 months

Didn't the P-40 recently found in the Libyan / Egyptian desert have damage caused by its own demolition charge?