Photo's Request

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 5 months

Hi all. This is my first post so apologies if the is in the wrong section.

My dad passed away coming up to four years ago now. I found on his laptop a list of planes he'd worked on throughout his career (started traing on Mosquitos and Lincolns!) and I thought it would be good to make a photo album of all the aircraft.

I don't really know where would be best to try and get prints so I was hoping someone here would be able to guide me.

Thanks

Original post

Member for

14 years

RAF Museum would be a great start: they should have photos of aircraft from the units/stations that where your father was stationed. They'll do scans of each for a very modest fee, and you'll get some great photos, rather than the more run-of-the-mill stuff you'd find on the good old Net!

Member for

17 years 5 months

Jason, do you also know what squadrons he served on? They may have historical photographs on the association sites or some available, also if the Squadron is still in service it may be worth dropping the Sqn PRO ( public relations office ) he may be able to help out.

You will also be able to request his service records, though there is a charge I believe, try these links

http://www.iwm.org.uk/search/global?query=RAF&x=-950&y=-27

Member for

9 years 5 months

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful indeed!

I should be able to find out which squadrons he was in. He retired at Boscombe Down and worked with the airline inbetween.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Jason
If your father was in the RAF you should be able to obtain his service records from the RAF for a fee. Have a look at the Veterans web site for more details of where to write to etc. It would help if you knew his service number and you will need a copy of the death certificate.

I have just found the letter I received when I obtained my fathers record

Write to RAF Disclosures, Room 6 Trenchard Hall, Royal Air Force Cranwell Sleaford NG34 8HB

Hope that this helps