Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cosford visit

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mothminor
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Dec 2012

Just a few more pics -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinah (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	3657400 Click image for larger version

Name:	Hunting 126.jpg
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	3657401

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lincoln.JPG
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	3657402 Click image for larger version

Name:	Me 410 rear view.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	3657403

Comment

• papajuliet
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jan 2014

When the Cold War hangar was being built, I complained about it's design and the fact, as I saw it, that it totally ruined the ambience of what is, after all, an active RAF station.The curator lead me to understand that it had, largely, been funded by the National Lottery Fund and they had the say in what was built - he who pays the piper etc...
      I also complained about the move of the shop away from the entrance hall to it's present dark corner.The idea, apparently, was to free up more room in the entrance/caf area. It's done that but that free space is never in use when I visit.
      Not long ago I wanted to give some small WW2 aircraft parts [ still in their grease proof wrapping and cardboard boxes] to the Museum. The desk wouldn't accept them - I was asked to make an appointment with the Curator - I didn't.
      From my conversations with people who used to be volunteers at the Museum, everything changed for the worse a few years ago.The finger of blame seems to point at Hendon.

Comment

• bazv
        olde rigger
        • Feb 2005

Yes it is supposed to be a 'Landmark' building to qualify for funding - apparently one cannot get that funding for a practical building design !
        I do not want to get into any of the politics because I love going to Cosford - it is a lovely collection - and I only voice my disapproval of building designs in the faint hope that any future projects might be of a more practical nature - Had it not been for the Avro York I would probably not have bothered with the Cold War building - my personal opinion is that it was even worse than I feared !

Comment

• bazv
          olde rigger
          • Feb 2005

Thanks for posting your pictures Mothminor -
          And nice to see a proper old fashioned 'Rudder Lock' fitted to the Me410

Comment

• bazv
            olde rigger
            • Feb 2005

Here is a question for the Forum experts - The Dinah prop/spinner colour - is that accurate ??

Comment

• TonyT
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Oct 2006

Pass, but at least it has real rivets in the wings now, they used pop rivets on it as Saints!

Here you go MM

And i still say this looks stunning

Comment

• Mothminor
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2012

Thanks for posting the aerial shots, Tony. The new building certainly stands out

Comment

• Seafuryfan
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2000

I think that the Cold War building is stunning. It's supposed to represent the tension that existed between the communist and capitalist blocs. The building twists as it progresses from one end to the other, and houses multi-levels within itself. A triumph of imaginative thought converted to form. When viewed from the air, the building can be seen from miles away when the sun reflects off it. The stark structures with their rusted appearance to me inside the building emphasise the architects intent. I agree that the suspended aircraft are displayed imaginatively and dramatically. The Lightning is amazing to view and I can't think of a more fitting pose. The exhibitions are being expanded and improved over time. I know that traditionalists will not agree with this view but, as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Edited to mention that the cafe in the facility is a disappointment. Did anyone else get a free meal for suggesting 'Refuel' as the restaurant title? Predictably I wasn't the only winner!
                  Last edited by Seafuryfan; 28th October 2014, 07:15.

Comment

• bazv
                    olde rigger
                    • Feb 2005

That is of course the official line - but to me it looks like a building which is totally the wrong design/shape for displaying aircraft - very arty f@rty ! and I do not think of myself as a traditionalist either....
                    Hanging aircraft at these sort of heights/angles makes more problems than it solves and in the case of this particular building - because of lack of floor space they simply had to hang em high ; )
                    Twould have been nice to have a very close look round the Sabre in one of those old boring warehouse/hangar type buildings (which are extremely cheap to build ; )) but as you say - better to have them way out of reach where it is easy to clean and maintain them !
                    rgds baz

Comment

• Pen Pusher
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by bazv View Post
                      Twould have been nice to have a very close look round the Sabre in one of those old boring warehouse/hangar type buildings
                      Plenty of opportunities to do that when it was at Hendon.

Brian
                      The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
                      DfG on Facebook

Comment

• Seafuryfan
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jan 2000

I guess I must like arty farty then Baz I think it was very imaginative to allow the architecht the flexibility to design something other than a hangar. Why not house the aircraft inside something which makes a statement? I also think that hanging them was an intergral part of the design, rather than an afterthought. If we live long enough Baz, one day they'll have to bring them down for restoration...see you there with our zimmer frames!

Comment

• Wallace
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Feb 2007

I suppose one can see beauty in everything and the Cold war Museum Hall is one such building.
                          Stark lines by wwshack, on Flickr
                          Personally, it is a much better building to look at than a squat black utilitarian building such as a T2 hangar.
                          It does allow the public to get up close to a lot of aircraft, that they may not have at other places.

Even the Javelin has it's place

Comment

• Tin Triangle
                            Bright Young Thing
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Seafuryfan View Post
                            I think that the Cold War building is stunning. It's supposed to represent the tension that existed between the communist and capitalist blocs. The building twists as it progresses from one end to the other, and houses multi-levels within itself. A triumph of imaginative thought converted to form. When viewed from the air, the building can be seen from miles away when the sun reflects off it. The stark structures with their rusted appearance to me inside the building emphasise the architects intent. I agree that the suspended aircraft are displayed imaginatively and dramatically. The Lightning is amazing to view and I can't think of a more fitting pose. The exhibitions are being expanded and improved over time. I know that traditionalists will not agree with this view but, as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                            Hear, hear!
                            Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• bazv
                              olde rigger
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Pen Pusher View Post
                              Plenty of opportunities to do that when it was at Hendon.

Brian
                              That will be a great reassurance to the younger generation PP ; )

Comment

• bazv
                                olde rigger
                                • Feb 2005

I am not sure why some people seem to think that an 'imaginitive' building has to stick out like a sore thumb....for its 'footprint' size - quite a few more airframes could have been brought undercover with a better (say - more symmetric ) design ...perhaps even the poor old Brit could have been brought under cover - they must be getting pretty rare !
                                Any 'Landmark' building could be also built to be practical,with a more symmetric design - the cosford floor area could have been much larger,there is a difference between choosing to hang airframes and having to hang airframes ; )

Comment

• bazv
                                  olde rigger
                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Seafuryfan View Post
                                  I guess I must like arty farty then Baz If we live long enough Baz, one day they'll have to bring them down for restoration...see you there with our zimmer frames!
                                  Yes we must meet up somewhere sometime Rich : )

Comment

• papajuliet
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2014

Those last three photos. by TonyT make it look even worse than it is - what a mess!
                                    Not a dig at your photography Tony - the quality is excellent given the conditions.

Comment

• nostalgair2
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by farnboroughrob View Post
                                      I visited too a month or so ago, unfortunately there was a flight sim show on so hangar 1 was ticket only. One question that baffled me is the York has black painted 'windows', any idea why? All I can think is that is was a civil freighter before being retired and it has never been properly restored by the RAFM?
                                      if my memory serves me correct the transparencies were in a bad way as the result of a fire on board the aircraft prior to display at cosford, thus they were hastily painted black, its a shame they cant be restored or replaced. if im being totally honest i think the york has been a tad negleccted over the years, she has had an exhaust stub missing for god knows how long and the silver finish is distinctly tired, thank heavens the Duxford example is showing the type off to full advantage!

Comment

• Tonk
                                        Hand-swing THAT..?!?!?!?!
                                        • Oct 2014

I think Cosford is a great museum and site with many fascinating and unique exhibits. All the better for most of the UK for being central - it's such a ball-ache to get to London for most of the UK.
                                        Sadly, I have to agree 100% with the negative comments about the Cold War hangar however. Architects always seem to be trying to make a name for themselves within their own peers - 'Emperors New Clothes' etc. Our city-centres are now getting filled with such carbuncles. The CWH is hideous outside and clashes with it's environment. Inside it's like a large dark, half-collapsed-building made from scrap. For it's size, there is actually very little room inside, rather like the Tardis in reverse.
                                        On the other hand, the Super-Hangar at Duxford is absolutely in another league and it's viewing gallery puts it streets ahead of all the others. It's also very flexible, whereas the CWH is totally not. Hopefully, some unrepairable structural flaw will be found in the CWH and a decent, airy proper hangar can be built to replace it. While they are at it, perhaps they can extend the runway a tad too....

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X