Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Searching For My Grandfather

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maj
    maj
    Rank 1 Registered User
    • Oct 2014

Searching For My Grandfather

Hi, I am not sure if I am on the right forum but I saw a similar request. I have been searching for information regarding my French grandfather who was based at Elvington in 346 or 347 Squadron as ground crew. I have had no luck at all so far. My 90 yr old grandmother is desperate to find any information about him, She tells me his name was Claude Fillon or Filion?? from Lyon. She was a local land girl based near to Elvington and last saw him 70 years ago.
    Could anyone advise me on a good way forward?

Many thanks, Martyn.
  • snafu
    • Aug 2013

Hi, and welcome.
    I think the Historic forum might have been a better place for this question - if a passing, kindly mod could relocate it there I expect some info would be forthcoming a lot quicker than it would if left here...

Comment

• TonyT
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2006

For 346 try searching for Groupe 2/23 'Guyenne'

Here are a couple of sites as starters

http://halifax346et347.canalblog.com.../26220118.html

http://anfas.fr/escadron/guyenne-chapitre-04.pdf

http://www.memorial-genweb.org/~memo...346th+Squadron
      Last edited by TonyT; 25th October 2014, 00:39.

Comment

• TonyT
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2006

I think I have found a picture of him...... scroll down to

http://halifax346et347.canalblog.com...s/p220-10.html

Mcaniciens avions Elvington 1944/1945.

(collection: Famille MALHERBE, "Andr HAUTOT")

De droite gauche:

LAFFONT, Claude FILLION, MONTEIL, MANIVERT, SABOUL, SALAS, FERNANDEZ, OUDOT, ESCLAPEZ, BRUTAIL, DESCOTEIX, WACK, HUGUET, CANTIVA, ESTRUCK, PEREZ, DUFOUR, COQUET, Adjt COURTOT, VETWILLER, BLANC, MALHERBE, PEPE.

Comment

• maj
          maj
          Rank 1 Registered User
          • Oct 2014

Hello, thanks for that info. I know of this site and I have seen this picture before, unfortunately this is not him. I contacted the site and told them my position and they put 2 and 2 together and got 5! The name on the photo was just 'Filion' they added the 'Claude' when I contacted them. But it needs removing, I have been told that his records may be in RAF archives, not sure if that's true.

Many thanks.

Comment

• Sabrejet
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2010

Try RAF Archives then? Or more likely, RAF PMA at Innsworth. Should be able to help any next-of-kin.
            Last edited by Peter; 30th October 2014, 00:43. Reason: pointless quote removed

Comment

• Ant.H
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

As far as I'm aware, records are no longer kept at Innsworth. The RAF disclosures department is now at RAF Cranwell, here's a link to the RAF website where you can submit an access request online.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/community/supp...icerecords.cfm
              "Talking about airplanes is a very pleasant mental disease." Sergei Sikorsky

Comment

• maj
                maj
                Rank 1 Registered User
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Sabrejet View Post
                Try RAF Archives then? Or more likely, RAF PMA at Innsworth. Should be able to help any next-of-kin.
                Thanks for that info. Do you know what area I should submit my request into on this page please?

Thanks,Martyn.

Comment

• Moggy C
                  • Jan 2000

Royal Air Force personnel records are held in the MOD archive and disclosure provided via the RAF Disclosure section. Personnel record information will, unless DPA 98 and FOIA 2000 regulation dictate otherwise, only be divulged to the person to whom it refers, or, if deceased to their immediate next of kin (25 year exclusivity period from date of death). Anyone else must obtain written permission from the person about whom they are enquiring, or from the next of kin if falling within the 25 year period, before any information can be given to them.

Those requiring information from a Service record should submit an application in accordance with the MOD FOIA Publication Scheme. An administrative charge of 30.00 is applied per deceased record requested and if cheques are submitted with queries, they should be made payable to 'HMG Sub-Account 3627'. The only people exempt this charge are the widow/widower, civil partner or parent if the other categories are not applicable.

Requesting Records of Deceased Service Personnel

The RAF Disclosure address is:

RAF Disclosures
                  Room 6, Trenchard Hall
                  RAFC Cranwell
                  Sleaford
                  Lincs NG34 8HB

Hope this helps

Moggy
                  "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• avion ancien
                    Long ago and far away ...
                    • Aug 2007

Martyn, might I suggest that a post on one of the French aviation history forums might be worthwhile? If you're interested, I can provide you with the requisite hyperlinks.

Comment

• Alan Clark
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2005

He would not have been in service with the RAF / RAFVR, he would have been FFAF within one of their squadrons, it is just they were under the command of the RAF, your record search will have to be with French military records.
                      Peak District Air Accident Research

www.peakdistrictaircrashes.co.uk

Aircraft Wrecks: The Walker's Guide

Comment

• maj
                        maj
                        Rank 1 Registered User
                        • Oct 2014

Thanks for the help, I have been given a lot of advice. I need to sit and think what is the best way forward. I did post on the French Halifax forum mentioned above, nothing came from that. If you could send a hyperlink that would be great. I did read a request like mine and the chap had no reply from the French records people after sending payment and many request?? I suppose I have to try every option, and hope one strikes lucky.

Many thanks, Martyn.

Comment

• avion ancien
                          Long ago and far away ...
                          • Aug 2007

The French aviation history forum that I use is http://www.aerostories.org/~aeroforu...hist/index.php. There you'll find a goodly number of people who are very knowledgeable on their subjects. Even if they don't have the answers you want, I suspect that they'll be able to point you in the right direction to find them.

Comment

• Aerial
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Nov 2007

Maj, there was an earlier thread for someone looking for one of the aircrew and it might give a little more background information: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...halifax+france
                            Here is another: http://forum.keypublishing.com/showt...nt-Chef-BIAGGI
                            Good luck!

Comment

• maj
                              maj
                              Rank 1 Registered User
                              • Oct 2014

Thanks for all the help, I will look into all of them. It seems a mixed view that 346/347 squadron at Elvington were RAF or FFAF?? I have had this problem before!

Comment

• maj
                                maj
                                Rank 1 Registered User
                                • Oct 2014

I now believe the surname is spelt - Fillion

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                X