Questions about Spitfires MH434 & MK297

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 7 months

I am wondering if parts of MH434 (G-ASJV) and MK297 (G-ASSSD) were mixed and matched at some point, as I've heard in the past. I was digging through a box of stuff tonight and came across the engine, airframe and propeller logs, and a bunch of other stuff, from a Spitfire. I've always believed these were all from MK297 that burned up in Canada several years back and I still believe that.

The airframe log says MH434/SM43/G-ASSD/SN 188721. Is that just a mistake of the G-number? The original airworthiness certificate after it came to the US also says MH434. The airframe log mentions the return flight from France on 22-25 August 1968 but I don't remember which of the two airplanes made that trip.

The logs are all from the 1964-1969 era. The propeller log mentions that the prop was removed from G-AWGB and installed on G-ASSD after a ground accident, which goes along with what I've always heard.

Was the identity swap for a reason or was it the typical paperwork mixup? Anybody have an idea?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Brad73/photo1.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Brad73/photo5.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y81/Brad73/photo3.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

This has come up before. No mix and match of components just the RAF serial identification interchange....a clerical error.

The reason....

The bit that is missing in the identity line up of both airframes is the service with the Netherlands Air Force both in Holland and the Dutch East Indies. So RAF serial, two serials whilst with the Dutch, Belgian Air Force, Belgian civil registration (COGEA), British Civil registration...and US registration.

The error in compiling the new UK documentation in the late 1960's is the tie up between the Belgian Air Force Serial (SM) and the RAF serial. MH434 was SM41 and MK297 was SM43.

You will then ask but how do we know that 'MH434' in the UK is in fact the original MH434. Here a study of the aircraft construction number plates in the cockpit confirms all. These plates do not reveal the RAF serial but do establish the pattern and position in the build programme. The numbers are complex for the whole Spitfire production but a 45 year study of physically reading and logging of the plate details leaves no reason for doubt in this case.

The cockpit plate for MH434 is CBAF IX 552 in perfect harmony with adjacent survivors MH350 and MH415.

The cockpit plate for MK297 is CBAF IX 1514 in perfect harmony with adjacent survivor MK356.

..and to put this in context some 1300 Spitfires were built between MH434 and MK297.

Mark

Member for

15 years 1 month

Wow that was good that you could clarify that mix up Mark12, otherwise it would certainly have put the cat amongst the pigeons. Very interesting though.

Member for

18 years 11 months

...a 45 year study of physically reading and logging of the plate details leaves no reason for doubt in this case.

Maybe you need to 'get out' a bit more Mark, some might say you are a bit too much of an anorak especially where Spitfires are concerned .... :highly_amused::highly_amused::highly_amused:)

Is there anything you don't know about the examples that are still around...? (And no,I'm not going anywhere near asking about THAT Spitfire project

Still, it's just as well there are a number of aviation "anoraks" around with detailled knowledge of their own pet type who are happy to help us lesser mortals when we ask.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Thanks Mark, I knew you would have the answer. I'm coming across some interesting stuff in this box of paperwork and records from the late MK297.