"Tekarek" and "Hammock" safety cells for gliders?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years

While digging deep into the development history of the Horsa glider I came across a curious reference.

In January 1944 a letter discusses trials by the RAE of the "Tekarek type II" safety cell in the form of a seat versus the "Hammock type V" cell. The latter being considered more suitable than the former.

I cannot find any evidence of these items being fitted operationally and can't even find any other reference to what exactly they were and what they looked like.

Anyone ever heard of them? (one for Aeronut maybe?)

Original post

Member for

16 years 3 months

You may well be correct.
I recall seeing a RAE report about an idea for a personell safety cell for bomber crews written by a Polish pilot. I may have a copy in my collection its just a case of finding it.

Member for

16 years

You may well be correct.
I recall seeing a RAE report about an idea for a personell safety cell for bomber crews written by a Polish pilot. I may have a copy in my collection its just a case of finding it.

Bingo! We have a winner.

As soon as you said Polish pilot I realise it might a persons name and it's Zdenek Josef Pekárek. From Flight 16th July 1954:

"It is not certain when rearward-facing seats were first thought of as a method of increasing passengers' chances of survival in an accident. However, G/C. Dudgeon has referred to a paper on the subject written as early as 1942 by a F / L . Pekarek at Farnborough. Both these officers were closely concerned with the introduction in 1946 of aft-facing seats, as a semi-experimental measure, in aircraft of No. 46 Group, Transport Command."

So now I just need to figure out how these "cells" would of looked like and been fitted in a glider.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Well if I can find the report I'll scan the photos it contains. I'll admit I've not looked at it for several years so I can't remeber where I've put it.

Member for

16 years 3 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]232414[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]232415[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]232416[/ATTACH]
Well I found the reports (there are two) and here is a chunk of the second one, as it has the better illustrations, which should satisfy your curiosity.

Attachments

Member for

16 years

Wow. Thanks for that. I see in the document it mentions the Type V also being listed as for the Hotspur.

Is that all you have or any chance you could mail me the whole document? :D

Member for

16 years 3 months

Can do but it may have to be next week. I have internet problems at home and my work's firewall would have a fit at some of the words on the documents if I tried to send it from there, plus this weekend I'm on a reunion in Coventry.