Now the Blenheim has run (ARCO)

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 10 months

Now the Blenheim has run at ARCO I am sure we all have moist anticipation of its exit from ground zero to slip her surly bonds into the blue, just one question, who would be current on a type like this? or can it be someone with DC3 experience? obvoiusly I am thinking it will be John Romain.

A hats of to the Guys n Gals who have put so much effort into this project, now part 3 what a long journey it has been and in some ways I think this is the prettiest the Blenheim has looked through all her restorations and dressings.

Thank you all for a gorgeous girl soon to have the freedom of flight once again.

Original post

Member for

14 years

It's going to exit from Ground Zero? Should be interesting to see.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Area 51 then, ps the ground is zero on your altimeter at the time before lift sucks you into the sky

Member for

16 years 5 months

At a guess, although I'm not privvy to any actual information, but John Romain would be an obvious choice - seeing as he has successfully flown the type previously and probably knows the Blenheim inside out!

Rob

Member for

17 years 10 months

I would guess at JR, I just cannot think of anyone who has the hands for such big Bristols !

Member for

17 years 6 months

What about when the Blenheim was originally brought into service with the RAF? The services weren't that keen on dual-control trainers at the time and the average service pilot would have been required to 'solo' on type with possibly far less experience that a modern display pilot...

...mind you, a bloody awful accident rate back then!

Member for

17 years 10 months

and no HiViz jackets in sight !

Member for

11 years 5 months

Whoever's at the helm I can't wait to see her airborne next year!;)

Member for

24 years 2 months

re;

It would be fantastic if she could drop into East Kirkby. What a contrast, parked next to Just Jane.

Member for

18 years 1 month

What about when the Blenheim was originally brought into service with the RAF? The services weren't that keen on dual-control trainers at the time and the average service pilot would have been required to 'solo' on type with possibly far less experience that a modern display pilot.

Concerning learning to fly the Blenheim, Tony Tubbenhauer (pilot with 244 squadron at Sharjah in 1942) told me about his introduction to Blenheims at 70 OTU in Kenya in 1941. He had 4 duel flights (3 hours) with an instructor in the Blenheim I in 3 days, then soloed on the Mk IV the next day.