Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acquisitions & Disposals

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • avion ancien
    Long ago and far away ...
    • Aug 2007

I know it's pedantry but........

Originally posted by TwinOtter23 View Post
    One of the new 'buzzwords' (buzz-phrase) in the museum world is de-acquisition
    What a horrible fabricated noun. But even it is not as bad as the following:

'it was decided at the time to accession these into the collection'

which is taken from the Bentley Priory Fine Art section of the RAFM website, to which TwinOtter23 provided a hyperlink at the outset of this thread. Whilst I accept that the OED identifies accession as a transitive verb, I have no experience of it being used as such and I suspect that its use, as quoted above, is an example of the modern trend indiscriminately to employ nouns as verbs.

I wonder what other objects that have been accessioned to the RAFM collection are in line for de-acquisitionisation - or should that be unaccessioned!

Comment

• Snoopy7422
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by David Burke View Post
      I would argue that the Messerschmitt Me410 could quite happily be sent back to Germany and the Kawasaki Ki100 to Japan and the space freed up used for the likes
      of the Cotton Lockheed Electra Junior.
      Indeed you could, - but you might be sat in the corner of the bar on your own

Comment

• TwinOtter23
        NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by avion ancien View Post
        ...I wonder what other objects that have been accessioned to the RAFM collection are in line for de-acquisitionisation - or should that be unaccessioned!
        That's what I'll be keeping an eye on in the future!

To be honest the real aim for starting the thread was to make people aware of the webpage, so that they can also keep a look out in the future. With all of the fuss that's been created I'm beginning to wonder whether I should have bothered.

As for the Venom NF3 - I'm not aware of any approach to loan it back.
        Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
        Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• David Burke
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

Snoopy- I doubt I would! The days of having our past enemies technology for the sake of it should be really over! The Ki-100 isn't massively significant in our air war in the Far East -an intact Zero would be far more significant.

As to the Me410 - as the sole survivor there should be no question that it belongs in the place of its construction .

In terms of our ability to fight back at the Nazi's the first months of the war the Cotton Electra is far more interesting .

Comment

• Snoopy7422
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Oct 2011

DB;- I know about Sid's Electra. So do you....but how many other people..? Pitifully few I'd warrant. Not only that, as far as I'm aware, it's still airworthy, although I doubt it still has it's mods. Better as a Shuttleworth a/c, perhaps, or at Duxford...or anyway based in the UK so that it can be displayed flying, rather than collecting dust in Hendon.

Conversely, most enthusiasts will know both of the other machines. Anyway - wasn't the '410 used against our bombers... (I make no claims to be an authority on such matters.)...just what does an a/c have to do to become 'relevant'.....? I'm sure we aren't about to be petitioned by Mrs.Merkle over the '410.

This does, however, remind me of something sadly lacking in the UK, and that is a dedicated museum for Civil machines - light, aviating for the use of. OW aside, the civil stuff does sit a trifle incongruously within what are in reality, often military collections, such a Hendon. I''ve often mused that it'd be great if OW was extended to include a static section, artefacts et al. At the very least, it'd be nice if the RAFM/IWM made a heap of all the civil stuff, say at Cosford.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              wyvernfan@gmail.com
              • Oct 2007

Wasn't there a civil aircraft based museum at Wycombe Air Park at one time?

Rob
              Facebook page
              https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• Snoopy7422
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Oct 2011

I think that was Tony Bianchi's 'Blue Max Museum'.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                  • Jan 2006

Slightly off topic but I may as well join in - there’s a bit of a civilian thread that runs through NAM’s collection, the list is in here http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/aircraft_list.html albeit the Taylor Monoplane is currently not listed!

These are covered by this part of the collecting policy:

“Aircraft flown privately if they are significant to the development of the type and represent unique examples which otherwise would be destroyed;”
                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• David Burke
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2000

The Electra hasn't flown for a number of years - the father and son of the familiy were killed in the crash of an aerobatic aircraft . As to the story itself - if you don't show and inform of the contribution it made to the British war effort the public are hardly likely to ever know!

Comment

• DaveF68
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Snoopy7422 View Post
                      D
                      This does, however, remind me of something sadly lacking in the UK, and that is a dedicated museum for Civil machines - light, aviating for the use of. OW aside, the civil stuff does sit a trifle incongruously within what are in reality, often military collections, such a Hendon. I''ve often mused that it'd be great if OW was extended to include a static section, artefacts et al. At the very least, it'd be nice if the RAFM/IWM made a heap of all the civil stuff, say at Cosford.
                      East fortune probably has the best collection that I can think of.

Comment

• Tin Triangle
                        Bright Young Thing
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by David Burke View Post

As to the Me410 - as the sole survivor there should be no question that it belongs in the place of its construction .
                        http://airandspace.si.edu/collection...m_A19600329000
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/71709766@N00/400080432

Not quite the sole survivor!
                        I wouldn't necessarily mind the Me410 going back to Germany, but it had a pretty major role in combatting the British and US strategic bomber campaign - so it has a good deal more relevance than the Ki-100.
                        Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                        X