Ju 87 R-2 Stuka wreck found in the Adriatic

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 6 months

Great find and remarkably complete all things considered. Question is whether it would hold together if raised?

Rob

Member for

24 years 3 months

An incredibly rare find, thanks for posting Sage. Let's hope it can be raised.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Quite good condition compared to the one on display in Sinsheim.

Someone must have known its was there or the engine would still be on the front.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Someone must have known its was there or the engine would still be on the front.

I suggest that is by no means certain. The engine bearers are the part most liable to corrode and fail, as they are still under significant load. A bit of tidal movement over 70 years could easily shift the airframe some distance from the engine. Or perhaps a trawler pulled it off.

Anyway, I hope they can salvage it.

Member for

13 years 5 months

I can donate some lemons, hose pipe, WD40 and a 20 foot car tow rope for the recovery. Just kidding, but this is the most complete Stuka that might ever be brought up again. It even looks like its standin on its "feet" in the sand. There's some fishing net damage but without the boats we would probably never have seen it again. I say bring it back up and do and awesome static wreckstoration.

Profile picture for user 1batfastard

Member for

11 years 2 months

Hi All,
Sage the owl,
Many thanks for posting this great article like many here I think it would make a great restoration project for someone with a bit of loose change.

Geoff.

Member for

24 years 3 months

How do we know it's not a Ju88? ?

Member for

15 years 6 months

According to Tomislav over on the Hyperscale forum this aeroplane was assigned to 239 Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica and was lost on April 12th 1941 while attacking Royal Yugoslav seaplanes at Jadrovac. Here's to a successful recovery and conservation. Lots to work with there !

Member for

11 years 1 month

According to Tomislav over on the Hyperscale forum this aeroplane was assigned to 239 Squadriglia Regia Aeronautica and was lost on April 12th 1941 while attacking Royal Yugoslav seaplanes at Jadrovac. Here's to a successful recovery and conservation. Lots to work with there !

and maybe it's a grave.

Member for

14 years 8 months

and maybe it's a grave.

Judging by the open canopies, probably not.

Member for

11 years 1 month

Judging by the open canopies, probably not.

In the attack of that day a crew was lost, if this is that particular aircraft the remains of the crew may have been destroyed by the sea or by the time or scattered by the current or englobed by concretions but it would remain a grave.

Member for

16 years 7 months

Nice video, lots of detail visible at full 1080 resolution. Some parts look clean & bright whilst others are full of holes, still, looks more sound than the Dornier 17 at first glance.
Hopefully that's the case so that a recovery is practical as it's too rare a type to be left to dissolve into the ocean.
With regard to any physical remains I personally would'nt have a problem with it being raised as it would enable the crew to be given a proper burial, however, if relatives are found and they object then that's a different matter.