Any ideas - Mystery propeller?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 7 months

Hi Guys,

I have the propeller in the attached pics:

The propeller measures 131cm in height, 28cm across at its widest point while the diameter of the connecting base is 14.5cm.

There does appear to be some faint lettering to the base, the only legible lettering/engraving however is : R.I.A.D.
The propeller blade came from the family of an ex member of the South African Air force who saw action in the Korean war.
More than this I'm afraid i'm at a loss.

Monte chase from www.notplanejane.com suggested the following:

'The propeller blade is not USA made, I believe it is a ROTOL manufacture for a Spitfire or a Hurricane.
The black finish has been removed during restoration. a british ROTUL, possibly off a Spitfire or Hurricane that has has been partially restored and had any metal coating or edging removed.'

If anyone is able to confirm that this is in fact a variable pitch propeller blade from a Spitfire (as used by the South African Air Force), or a Supermarine Spitfire (as apparently used in the early stages of the Korean War), it would be much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Richard
Cape Town
South Africa

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

It appears to be a left hander so it's not going to be from anything with a Merlin. Could be for a Griffon though.

Anne

Member for

16 years 3 months

An unusual one that. With that (presumably) fixed inner race it's not like anything I've seen before. It would probably have to be a split barrel hub to be able to fit the bearings when it was assembled. It's sort of a cross between a Curtiss and a Ham-Stan design, perhaps drawing on the designs of both? It uses a row of roller bearings outboard for thrust and two rows of ball bearings below for blade rotation so it's definitely a VP prop.

The Italians and the French designed and manufactured a few props, I wonder if it's one of theirs?

It looks as though the blade has been re-shaped. Perhaps it has some damage and that was done when the covering etc. was removed.

Anon.

Member for

18 years 2 months

The Rotol R4 adapters look like that, and possibly the R5 as well. I don't have one to measure, but I know someone who does. I'll ask

Pete

Member for

16 years 3 months

I have attached some information regarding Rotol R4 and R5 propellers, and a photo of an R5/3 adaptor for reference. OD of the fat end is 180mm, OD narrow end 160mm, ID of narrow end (bottom end of the wooden blade) 135mm.

DAI

Attachments