Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A salutary warning over visiting sites and collecting bits and bobs.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trolly Aux
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • May 2006

As I said, Guilty until proven Innocent and this man is 100% innocent of any crime.
    SMOKE SMOKE GO!
    TA out

Comment

• Creaking Door
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by snafu352 View Post
      Well you keep building them. I'm not going to respond to your fantasy versions of my comments.
      But we're all anarchists.....right?

The number of allegations of the Police being a gang of sorts is interesting.

Presumably those that alledge that would prefer to be walking the streets themselves administering their own version of justice or simply wish to live under a regime of anarchy...
      Er, strawman?

Hello, pot.....this is kettle!!!
      WA$.

Comment

• Creaking Door
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by redhillwings View Post
        This update sent by a friend...
        This isn't the St Albans case...

...but shows perfectly the approach that many here were advocating.

With regard to the St Albans case we still do not know if anything illegal was being held by the collector or if he was involved in any other illegal recovery actions.
        WA$.

Comment

• windhover
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2014

There's an old saying that has been used since the days of Robert Peel...

The public gets the Police Force it deserves...

and when I was in the force, we still wore proper uniforms and pointy helmets... quite a different breed to today's quasi-military uniforms. All we had were ten inches of mahogany truncheon, Hiatt "Darby" type handcuffs; a whistle... and common sense.

Comment

• Bunsen Honeydew
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Mar 2011

What's a straw man? Or, as Twin Otter suggested, a straw woman?

Re the point someone made about contacting the local firearms licencing officer to make him aware of the collection, one of the people wrongly raided was a licenced firearms dealer, can't say they weren't aware of him.

Comment

• Creaking Door
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by windhover View Post
              The public gets the Police Force it deserves...
              Surely the 'public' get the Police Force that the criminals deserve.
              WA$.

Comment

• Flying_Pencil
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by redhillwings View Post
                This update sent by a friend - seems in this case all inert and safe, at least it seems that someone with a brain was present and knew what they were looking at. I think 99.9% of peoples collections are most likely the same (inert). Afterall who wants things that can go bang around the house putting their families at risk, what would the point be?
                Thats great!
                Police came in with a "trust but verify" attitude, or that they expected a careful law abiding collector.
                Do17 recovery fund
                Since 2004 dedicated to researching Do-17, 1000+ period photos, manuals, history, technology to put aircraft in perspective.

Comment

• J Boyle
                  With malice towards none
                  • Oct 2004

I take it you will be equally happy to see the authorities take similar action agains anybody going about any other completely legal activity but that any one of us sees as 'perverse'!

I take you gain pleasure from creating strawmen?

Name any hobby or interest and I'm sure someone is against it.
                  I'm sure some environmental activists are against flying warbirds...polluting, dangerous, noisy etc, etc.
                  I have vintage autos, so the same could be said about my hobby.

I personally don't share his interest, but I'm always a bit concerned when some are willing to take away some other guy's freedom.

You maintain there is a legitimate need for action on this guy's hobby...but who will we elect as our hobby "czar"?
                  There are two sides to every story. The truth is usually somewhere between the two.

Comment

• snafu352
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Creaking Door View Post
                    Err... reading comprehension? "Presumably."
                    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                    Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Meddle
                      Rank Bajin.
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by J Boyle View Post
                      I take it you will be equally happy to see the authorities take similar action agains anybody going about any other completely legal activity but that any one of us sees as 'perverse'!

Name any hobby or interest and I'm sure someone is against it.
                      I'm sure some environmental activists are against flying warbirds...polluting, dangerous, noisy etc, etc.
                      I have vintage autos, so the same could be said about my hobby.

I personally don't share his interest, but I'm always a bit concerned when some are willing to take away some other guy's freedom.

You maintain there is a legitimate need for action on this guy's hobby...but who will we elect as our hobby "czar"?
                      You only managed to get one freedom into your hysterical spiel. You are letting your country down and failing in your duties in conforming to the standards required by your wonderfully free nation!

I see it as fairly cut and dry. There are a few things I would consider collecting; vintage guitar effects pedals, obscure off-brand Japanese bass guitars from the '70s and '80s, vintage HH Electronic guitar amps etc... these are not designed to inflict damage or kill. The vast majority of things people collect, as a hobby, are not designed to damage or kill. If the Police get a tip off that some basement dweller has a massive collection of weapons then it would be foolish of them to assume automatically that they were deactivated historic relics. In fact, I wager a 'look what the stupid pigs did this time' thread would appear in General Discussion faily quickly if some junior plod gets shot having been sent round to the next Tony Martin's house because the postman spied a few grenades through the letterbox.

As for a 'perverse' need to collect old weaponry, and your apparent freedoms to do so, I wager the bulk of these guys are autistic. Look at Ken Ward as the posterboy for these guys.

Comment

• stuart gowans
                        Not a real Spitfire
                        • Dec 2005

[I" these are not designed to inflict damage or kill".][/I]

You've obviously never had an H&H on full volume then!
                        Why be your own worse critic, that's what the forum is for.

Comment

• Creaking Door
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Sep 2006

Err... reading comprehension? "Presumably."
                          I take you gain pleasure from creating strawmen?
                          Er.....reading comprehension: 'I take it...'?

Do you seriously want to keep doing this?
                          WA$.

Comment

• Meddle
                            Rank Bajin.
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by stuart gowans View Post
                            [I" these are not designed to inflict damage or kill".][/I]

You've obviously never had an H&H on full volume then!
                            I really want to get a clean example of an IC100 S head. I tried one a few years back with the studio/stage switch, through an old Burman 412 cab. Loud enough to stun a whale!

Comment

• snafu352
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jan 2008

Er.....reading comprehension: 'I take it...'?

Do you seriously want to keep doing this?
                              :-) It is the entirety of your inaccurate rendition of my comments that i'm describing as a strawman. The entirety of my prior comment with presumably in front was not an inaccurate rendition of your thoughts. Your comment is of mine however.
                              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                              Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Creaking Door
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Sep 2006

Really? Where, exactly, does anybody on this thread advocate anarchy?
                                WA$.

Comment

• smirky
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Oct 2008

Really? Where, exactly, does anybody on this thread advocate anarchy?
                                  Don't feed the trolls, it only encourages them.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                  X