Possible RAF UXO

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 6 months

I've been made aware and I quote "we have dug up drums 45 ish gallon size when with rails poss to make rolling easier on them when broken the contents a gel crystallise and harden" Alarm bells rang with me,can't think of a lanc ordinance matching this?

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Was that meant to be 'UXB' ?

Moggy

Member for

14 years 11 months

I've been made aware and I quote'weve dug up drums 45 ish gallon size ish when with rails poss to make rolling easier on them when broken the contents a gel crystallise and harden"alarm bells ring with me,can't think of a lanc ordinance matching this?

When in doubt, call the bomb disposal team. I'm sure they don't mind.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wot ericmunk said ^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the Cookie was in sections of about that diameter.

(The Mark 1 4000 lb bomb was a welded, cylindrical shell, made of 0.31-inch (7.9 mm) thick steel. The body of the bomb was 30 inches (76 cm) in diameter )

Always better safe than sorry.

Moggy

Member for

11 years 11 months

Isn't UXO (= UneXploded Ordnance) just the modern version of UXB (= UneXploded Bomb) ?
It's 'inclusive' - covers incendiaries, cannon shells, anything that might go BANG...

Member for

24 years 3 months

That would make a certain amount of sense, but I'm old fashioned enough to prefer the B version. Wasn't Judy Geeson in a prog called Danger UXB?

If you think deeply about it it the 'unexploded' bit is superfluous, since if it had exploded it would be called 'shrapnel'

Moggy

Member for

24 years 3 months

Wasn't Judy Geeson in a prog called Danger UXB? Moggy

She was indeed Moggy.

You can watch the whole series on youtube too.

Member for

18 years 5 months

If you think deeply about it it the 'unexploded' bit is superfluous, since if it had exploded it would be called 'shrapnel'

Moggy

Which is, of course, incorrect. Shrapnel is the contents of the shrapnel shell, bits of shell or bomb casing are fragments.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Several sources I have (just) looked up confirm that shrapnel can refer both to specific contents of a shell or bomb, and fragments of the case.

However I am happy to concede a pedantry score of 1-0 to you Sir :)

Moggy

Member for

18 years 10 months

Several sources I have (just) looked up confirm that shrapnel can refer both to specific contents of a shell or bomb, and fragments of the case.

Moggy

Depending on whether the use is by the general public or by someone speaking about ordnance in an accurate technical manner.

Member for

17 years 11 months

This song springs to mind for me

Member for

20 years 8 months

When in doubt, call the bomb disposal team. I'm sure they don't mind.
Definitely call bomb disposal. They would much rather be called to something which turns out to be harmless than someone get hurt because they weren't called.