Vickers Valiant construction numbers

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

Hi

I'm trying to find information about Valiant production - in particular a match between RAF serial and c/n. I have searched on-line for several days (not full-time!) in all the usual places that I know of, but have drawn a blank. If someone on the forum could possibly help out with information or ideas of where to look - then I would be very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation,

Steve

Original post

Member for

13 years 11 months

They did not have contruction numbers the serial number is used for all construction. When the Victor B2 was converted to the K 2 HSA/BAE used "SET" Numbers. I presume that the Valiant and Vulcan were using similar system
Having been associted with the Victor for many years I could not find anything concerning Contruction numbers.In any publication or service correspondence only the relevant Serial numbers were used

It was stated many years ago that British military aircraft do not have construction numbers. (Source Unknown). Things to-day are probably different?

Member for

15 years 9 months

UK mil aircraft do and always have had construction numbers where a manufacturer's policy would have been to allocate them, irrespective of customer.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Consruction Numbers for Handley Page Victor

UK mil aircraft do and always have had construction numbers where a manufacturer's policy would have been to allocate them, irrespective of customer.

Thanks for the reply looks as if was given wrong info 45 years ago by the then HP rep at RAF Marham (Now deceased) Any ideas?

Member for

15 years 9 months

Just looked in my Putnam books for Handley Page and Vickers, no listing of c/ns for Victors or Valiants but other HP and Vickers military types had c/ns. It would be unusual to not have a c/n.