The Hindenburg...

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 3 months

hi,
just happened on a programme in German about the Hindenburg, but what impressed me was the size and openness of the re-construction from blue-prints of some of the passenger and crews accommodation in the museum at Friedrichshafen. Unlike todays "modern" travel choices unless you can afford first/business.

regards
jack...

Original post

Member for

14 years 10 months

Was really impressed by the Museum at Friedrichshafen when went in 07 or 08 :) Surprised they had a smoking room aboard though

Member for

11 years 10 months

I don't think there was any danger to the craft because of passengers smoking. If there had been a leak of hydrogen it would not have escaped downwards as the gas is lighter than air.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I don't think there was any danger to the craft because of passengers smoking. If there had been a leak of hydrogen it would not have escaped downwards as the gas is lighter than air.

I remember reading that the Zeppelins were a surprisingly safe mode of transport with a good safety record.
Yes the Hindenburg was a disaster but try to think of another that wasn't shot down?

Member for

16 years 2 months

Yes the Hindenburg was a disaster but try to think of another that wasn't shot down?

The Graf Zeppelin wasn't.

I'd also recommend the Friedrichshaffen museum as one to visit and if you can combine it with a trip on the Zeppelin NT all the better.

Member for

10 years 7 months

R101?;o)

Member for

15 years 3 months

hi,
did,nt the USN loose Shenendoah and also its parasite fighters, I remember seeing a dive programme where they found some of the airships girders and one of the fighters...

regards
jack...

Member for

10 years 7 months

No indication that the Shenedoah had parasite fighters.
The Macon and Akron both crashed - the Macon still has four F9C-2 fighters in its wreckage, which is probably the one you're thinking of.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]231281[/ATTACH]
Sky hook visible on the remains of one of Macon's F9C-2 biplanes (2006)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Macon_(ZRS-5)

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

hi,
yes that's the picture I remember, my mistake on the airship!, an agey thing I,m afraid...

regards
jack...