Biggles Biplane visits Headcorn

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Fame for our very on low'n'slow!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28757569

Will it be hanging around until Combined Operations at the weekend, or does it have to head back to Sywell? Actually, that might be a silly question as I think Sywell's 'do' is this weekend too...

Adrian

Original post

Member for

15 years 1 month

Its leaving Headcorn tomorrow weather permitting.

Member for

24 years 2 months

A little bit of a shame, as I'd have liked to see her, but hopefully she's well on the way to Capel-le-Ferne by now.

Three nice photos in today's Times too...

Adrian

Member for

16 years 9 months

Any news on the Channel crossing? Has she made it to Amiens?

Member for

24 years 2 months

There's also a pic in the Grauniad, with low'nslow and Blue Max, boht of this parish, in it as well as the real star.

Adrian
(if I knew anything, DR, I'd let you know. Nowt on the Beeb)

Member for

17 years 6 months

Sadly. No, we didn't get to Amiens. We got within sight of France yesterday, as we flew along from Capel le Ferne to Dover and overhead Swingate Down, from where the first aircraft departed for France on 13th August 1914.

However the gusting winds and storms on our planned route from St. Omer to Amiens and Arras where the Western Front Association commemorative events were being held, meant discretion had to form the better part of valour.

Half a dozen or so hardy souls in Tiger Moths did apparently battle through. However the slower speed, smaller fuel tank and poorer controllability of the BE in gusts were our limiting factors. Based on the predicted headwind yesterday, our ground speed through France would have been just 45 knots! As you'll see from the BFBS clip here, landing at Headcorn was quite sporting enough!

Member for

24 years 2 months

Are you back at Sywell now Steve? Looking a bit windy for Sunday! :(

Member for

17 years 6 months

Yes thanks Mike. After the short trip around Dover and Swingate Down, Blue Max and I bounced our way back to Sywell yesterday, again bucking a headwind (ground speed 48kts).

Hopefully wind and weather will allow a fun-packed Sunday at Sywell!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231034[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]231032[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]231033[/ATTACH]

Attachments