Combined Ops Show Headcorn Aerodrome 16/17 August

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

Less than one week to the Combined Ops Military and Air Show at Headcorn Aerodrome, Kent on 16th/17th August 2014.

Lots to see and do for all the family.

Lashenden Air Warfare Museum’s rare Fieseler Fi103-R4 Reichenberg will be on display outside the Museum over the weekend subject to fine weather.

Flying display to include (subject to weather and serviceability):-

The only two Lancasters flying in the world today;
Spitfires;
Hurricane;
Mustang;
Harvard;
Tiger Moth;
Piper L4 Cub;
Sea King Helicopter; and
Dragon Rapide

Dragon Rapide Pleasure Flights and Vintage and Classic Aircraft

Living History displays, military vehicle displays, arena action, tank rides, militaria stalls; jive dancing lessons, food stalls and beer tent

www.combinedops.co.uk

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks Aero, tickets booked as it may be the only chance that I (and my very patient wife) will have to see the two Lancs flying together.

As access to the airfield looks to be via narrow roads, which route do you suggest, and how much time should we allow to queue? (We're traveling from Suffolk)

Do you have an ETA for the Lancasters? (don't want to see them in a queue!)

Thanks to anyone who has answers.

Member for

15 years 2 months

Take the M20 to junction 8 (Leeds Castle) follow the signs for Leeds castle drive past the castle & follow the road to its junction with the A274 at the Plough pub turn left stay on this road through Headcorn village stay on the A274 towards Tenterden. The airfield is about 3 miles on the left turn left for the airfield (well signed) parking will be on the right with the show on the left.

The gates will be open from early & queuing is not normally much of a problem. Get there early & have a full day lots to see & do. Dont forget to visit the museum at the eastern end of the airfield by the large green hangar. I will be talking all things Reichenberg for the 2 days of the show!

We are awaiting a time for the Lancasters to display at this time.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thank you Aerohistorian for your help, I hope others find it informative. Looking forward in particular to viewing and talking to members of historical reenactment groups. Not everyone's cup of tea but I find the attention to detail, knowledge, and equipment fascinating.

A review of the 2012 show is here:

http://www.globalaviationresource.com/reports/2012/airshows-uk-headcorn-combined-ops-review/

It'll be good to go to a small scale show with character!

Member for

15 years 2 months

In that case you will have a good day. I look forward to meeting you.

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have to mention this for 2 ship Lancaster photographers: Headcorn crowd line is north facing, Eastbourne crowd line is...
:)

Member for

15 years 2 months

For those that had trouble finding he museum at last years Combined Ops the museum is at the eastern end of the airfield, the show is at the western end. When you enter the airfield from the car park you will have Wings bar on the right and a large silver hangar in front of you. If you turn right instead of entering the show & follow the line of the silver hangar go through the gate into the field by the parachute club/cafe/flying school/ATC there is a large green hanger behind the Thurston Helicopter building in front of you the museum is located by the green hanger. If you wish to visit the show before visiting the museum you can have your hand stamped so that you can get back into the show after visiting the museum

Member for

15 years 2 months

The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum will be open from 9am both days. Those of you that get to the show early can visit the museum before the show site opens at 10am. We look forward to seeing you.

Member for

24 years 3 months

The Lashenden Air Warfare Museum will be open from 9am both days. Those of you that get to the show early can visit the museum before the show site opens at 10am. We look forward to seeing you.

Given that we're coming from Oxford I doubt we'll make it at 9, but the invitation is very welcome!

Adrian
(many, many, years since I visited Headcorn, and a good many more since I was at the museum!)