Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dominie Being Acquired

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TwinOtter23
    NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
    • Jan 2006

Dominie Being Acquired

Newark Air Museum has finally acquired a Dominie!

Basic details about this long-awaited acquisition are outlined in this weblink on the NAM website http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/newsItem.php?id=866

Delivery is expected in September!
    Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
    Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum
  • Seafuryfan
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jan 2000

Great news TwinOtter...any corrosion might just as likely be from student sweat as from the elements! A valuable addition to the nation's aviation heritage.

Comment

• Jack Ruskin
      Key Troll-aux magnet
      • Nov 2006

Oh no, not another.....

Oh no not ~another~ separate thread about Newark (the unfriendly museum) !

Comment

• Bruce
        Independent analyst
        • Jan 2000

Let me know if you need a hand loading. It's not far for me!

Comment

• TwinOtter23
          • Jan 2006

Thanks Seafuryfan – it’s taken a while to get this sorted and it’s already causing a great deal of excitement around the place, plus it’s another one off the ‘target list’!

Thank you for that offer Bruce – the move and partial reassembly is part of the deal, so we should be OK with that part of the operation. The site moves at NAM are a slightly more complex part of the project, but at least we have a plan for that as well!!

I understand that at least one missing piece of avionics has already been offered via a helpful forumite, which is also nice to see.

Comment

• Tin Triangle
            Bright Young Thing
            • Dec 2009

Hooray! Well done to all concerned-presumably this is the only other outside Cosford preserved so far?
            Is it one of the last few service aircraft retired a few years back, or has it been used for GI?
            Armchair enthusiast, but also a fan of sofas and recliners.

Comment

• Consul
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Aug 2004

For just a moment I got all excited as I thought you had got a Dragon Rapide

Only joking - well done on getting this - presumably it retains the red and white scheme which Dominies sported for most of their lives, which if so is nice as the RAFM example has the later black scheme

Tim
              "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

Comment

• Newforest
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Consul View Post
                For just a moment I got all excited as I thought you had got a Dragon Rapide
                My thoughts too!!
                http://www.flightmemory.com/ I have been round the world 11.83 times!

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                  • Jan 2006

I am pleased to respond to Tin Triangle, Consul and Newforest.

I believe that the Hawker Siddeley Dominie T1 XS726 will retain its current red, white and grey and is also in the original rear facing training seat configuration. Its final training role was as an instructional airframe (9273M) at RAF Cosford.

Sorry for any type confusion!
                  Last edited by TwinOtter23; 10th August 2014, 08:06. Reason: typo!

Comment

• RPSmith
                    ex Midland A.M. member
                    • Mar 2005

Great news TO - congrats to NAM and we should add OUR thanks to the two members that made it possible.

Roger Smith.
                    A Blenheim, Beaufighter and Beaufort - together in one Museum. Who'd have thought that possible in 1967?

Comment

• Bruce
                      Independent analyst
                      • Jan 2000

I hope you have a spot for it indoors - believe me, these things corrode like mad. I'm sure I could hear the DH Museum 125 fizzing when it rained....

Bruce

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                        • Jan 2006

Roger thank you for your kind words, I will ensure that Mike and Kathy are made aware of your comments.

Bruce, the eventual display location is under active consideration and this will be in-line with the main aims, as stated in the Collecting Policy; I believe that due reference will also be made to the status of other Dominies in collections around the UK i.e. I don’t think that any are currently displayed inside!

Comment

• RWSSCARB
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jun 2010

Dominie inside

Your forgetting XS735 she happily sits inside. Lol

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                            • Jan 2006

Apologies RWSSCARB – you know that I would never wish to offend your good self!

I may well have forgotten XS735, but I did also choose my original words quite carefully – “I don’t think that any are currently displayed inside!”

We need to touch bases sometime re Tribute to the TSR2 Day, which is developing nicely!!

Comment

• RWSSCARB
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Jun 2010

You know I'm only messing lol. Let me know when you want a chat and i will pop across to the museum. I have lots of Dominie spares so I'm sure I will be able to help a little.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                • Jan 2006

I did presume that to be the case, but experience has taught me that one should take anything for granted – hence the post!

The spares situation might be useful as well, but we will need to reassess things once the delivery has been completed.

I’ll let you know about the TSR2 meet-up; a couple of things need to fall into place then it would be good to go on that project as well.

Comment

• Binbrook 01
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Dec 2004

I presume that Cranwell still has one outside???

As for spares, the is one on the dump at Shawbury and luckily they aren't allowed to burn it nowadays, assuming that it wasn't stripped before it went as I think it was wfu before the rest of the fleet finished IIRC.

Tim S

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                    • Jan 2006

Tim, I believe that there’s still one on the gate at Cranwell.

Another helpful forumite has already been in touch regarding the Shawbury airframe!

Comment

• mistyar66
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2009

Hi there . . chatting with a very excited Mike at NAM last Thursday, it sounds like the only bits and pieces missing are a few instruments, which I think have now been pretty much sourced - Richard and myself have a fair old collection of parts �� indeed, having had chance over the last few years to have already seen the interior of 726, pretty much complete, just in need of a lot of tlc!!! Looking like we can now look forward to a Dominie event at the museum soon!! Lincolnshire can now boast a cockpit, a fuselage and complete airframe . . all under cover!! ��

Comment

• Toddington Ted
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Tin Triangle View Post
                                        Hooray! Well done to all concerned-presumably this is the only other outside Cosford preserved so far?
                                        Is it one of the last few service aircraft retired a few years back, or has it been used for GI?
                                        Indeed, very well done! I'm always impressed with the collection at Newark especially as several airframes are representative of the RAF's training fleet during the years. The Dominie was always a "missing link" in the collection in my view and so I'm really pleased for you. We have had a Dominie (XS727) on external display at Cranwell since Sep 13.
                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20130912-2-Cranwell GG Dominie XS727-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	3656231

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                        X