The prospectus is out for the Leuchars lightning and phantoms.... Get your bids in.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Link

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/341253/Phantom_aircraft.pdf

Go get em.....

Original post

Member for

13 years 7 months

Wrong link I think (unless I'm missing some obscure joke!!).

Member for

17 years 6 months

Oops finger problems, corrected :)

Member for

13 years 1 month

Who's going to run the sweepstake on who will obtain them?

Member for

19 years 9 months

I suspect the Lightning will end up as a cockpit project

Member for

24 years 3 months

I have been privy to one of the bid amounts - its very substancial with the aim of keeping it in one piece!

Member for

19 years 9 months

I hope they do, but having had a look at it last year, it's not in a good condition

Member for

17 years 6 months

The MOD are 'allowed' to sell Phantoms now, then?

Member for

11 years 11 months

I am hoping Black Mike is saved in one piece. And perhaps with a couple of engines popped back in.

The Lightning canopy has been hacked off with an angle grinder. The bang seat has been partially taken apart. Lots of dings and pigeon poo. Pretty sorry state but probably recoverable if kept under cover.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Suprised the canopy has been hacked off ! I understood the Bruntingthorpe guys helped in the cockpit access .

Member for

24 years 3 months

Strange that !

Member for

13 years 2 months

Indeed not, if this link gets support!

http://www.lightningpilots.com/XR713appeal.html

Let's hope that the people who flew Lightnings can secure her - I don't want to see it hanging upside down in a gallery in London then smelted into ingots!

GYD

I suspect the Lightning will end up as a cockpit project

Member for

24 years 3 months

Its the strange world where the RAF is getting rid of its heritage and enthusiasts who wish to have her on display to commemorate her RAF past with the help of the Army are having to dig very deep to try and make it happen !