Senior RAF officer captured in Sicily, 1940?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 8 months

Interesting biography found - as usual - when I was actually searching for something else:

Air Vice-Marshal Owen Boyd CR, OBE, MC, AFC

AOC 93 (OTU) Group, 1944

Of all Bomber Command's wartime group commanders, Owen Boyd spent the shortest time in command of his appointed group. His life was cut tragically short at the age of fifty-four in August 1944, six months into his appointment as AOC of 93 (OTU) Group.

Owen Tudor Boyd was born on 30 August 1889 and educated at RMA Sandhurst before entering the Indian Army in 1909. He saw service in the First World War with the RFC and RAF, and commanded 66 Squadron. In 1938 he became C-in-C Balloon Command and two years later in 1940 was promoted to Air Marshal and appointed Deputy to the AOC-in-C Middle East. On his way out to Egypt the aircraft in which he was a passenger was forced down over Sicily by enemy fighters and he became a POW in Italy. When Italy capitulated in September 1943, Boyd and two British Army generals {Neame and O'Connor, who had been captured in North Africa in 1941) made a bid for freedom and finally reached Allied lines. Life was not easy for Boyd on his return to England. In July 1944 his wife divorced him and little more than a week later on 5 August he was dead from a heart attack.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/history/bombercommandcommandersofworldwarii.cfm

Anybody got the full info on what on earth happened that a senior officer's aircraft should be flying close enough to enemy territory that it could be forced down? Navigation error, maybe, or is it possible that Britain wasn't at war with Italy when the flight set out? And what was the aeroplane anyway?

All these questions I tempt you with...;o)

Original post

Member for

10 years 8 months

Ok, for reasons I can't now remember - although possibly to do with lateness - I didn't search for his full name, just Air Marshall Boyd - which didn't bring up a great deal. Hence finding a whole Wiki page on him now causing me a little surprise!

On his way to Egypt, Boyd was to stop in Malta. However, the aircraft in which he and his staff were passengers was forced down over enemy-controlled Sicily by a group of Italian fighters. After destroying his confidential papers by setting his own aircraft on fire, Boyd became a prisoner of war (POW). He spent much of the war in the Castle Vincigliata (Castello di Vincigliata) camp near Florence, Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Tudor_Boyd

This apparently came from an article titled Prize Catch in Time Magazine, 2nd December 1940, which seems to be unaccessible on its website.

So I suppose all that is needed is the aircraft he had been flying in when forced down...

Member for

15 years 4 months

Reading the books about Malta by Chris Shores et al, it seems that the Italians were active in radio measures and countermeasures to lure the unwary RAF aircraft being ferried to the Middle East, and this could be but one example or their trawls. It may of course have been a simple navigational error.

Member for

10 years 8 months

Thanks all. Guess I was hoping for something a little more exotic as transport than a Wellington when it mentioned Boyd and his staff being passengers, with me thinking of more than just him and one other...

Member for

17 years 11 months

In the 'Malta story' film, it was a Hudson carrying Peter (Alec Guinness) on his way to the Middle East.