Newbie and some recent finds on the beach

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hello there. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi to everyone.

I have been reading the forum over the years and thought it time I should join.

I am based in Selsey in West Sussex, UK, and walk on the beach every day. I often finds scraps of alloy washed up along with the odd bullet or cannon cases.

This morning whilst walking the dog I came across a piece of a tail wheel tyre which is intriguing me.

It's only a partial piece and is marked Palmer P.A. 9-9. I presume this stands for Palmer Aero as well. The inside diameter of the tyre is 3 1/4 inches.

It is also marked as Electrically Con.... so I also presume that makes it a tail wheel tyre.

I researched Palmer Tyre Ltd and they have a long history starting in 1895 and ceasing production of aircraft tyres in 1956 after they were acquired by BTR (British Tyre and Rubber).

I have found photos online of a PA 19 tyre but not anything relating to a PA 9-9.

Therefore I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts or ideas on the origin and use of such a tyre?

I cant seem to upload files at the moment even though they are below the maximum size, so I will keep trying to upload the photo.

I always get curious when I find stuff like this on the beach. Seeing as Selsey saw a lot of activity during the Battle of Britain and WWII, I am always interested in the history relating to this period.

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards

John.

Original post

Member for

17 years 11 months

John, welcome. Your finds sound fascinating, any chance you could show some photos? There is usually someone on here with the ability to identify just about anything :)

Member for

9 years 9 months

Anyone any ideas why I can't upload files? The size is correct (IE under 300kb), but the uploaded just sits there with the little indicator going round and round but the status bar doesn't actually move and nothing gets uploaded.

Many thanks.

John.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Strange, you should be able to upload pictures... Keep trying..

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hm, still can't add files, when I press the add file button on the upload section I get the little icon going round and round but nothing uploads still. Will reboot my laptop as well.

John.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Rather than the 'add file' (attachments?) button, you can try uploading your pictures to one of the free services such as Flickr or Photobucket and then show them here with the 'Insert Image' button

Moggy

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hi Guys

Apologies for the late reply. I tried a different computer, so here we go.

Cheers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229725[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

14 years 11 months

You sure that's 3 1/4, not 3 1/2? Looks a lot like 4.00x3 1/2 Palmer slick tyre, which was a fairly common tailwheel for a wide range of aircraft from WW2 (including I believe some marks Spitfire, Hurricane, Anson, etc.). I see them quite regularly re-used on vintage gliders.

Member for

9 years 9 months

Hi Eric, I just remeasured it and I think as it's only a partial piece of tyre it's slightly distorted over time, so it does expand out a bit and that makes it 3 1/2 as you rightly said.

Member for

14 years 11 months

4.00 x 3 1/2 slick was fitted to (amongst others) Hurricane, Hector, Martinet, Master, Proctor and I believe some marks of Spitfire.