Thai scrapyard

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225906[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]225907[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]225908[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]225909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]225910[/ATTACH]Finally got round to getting pictures of the right size!!Things seem to change quickly here,its a month since I was here and there are some radial engines here now ,possibly from a Fairchild provider .Also a couple of APU type turbines and some Lycoming flat sixes .Apile of scrap with some sikorsky pieces amongst itand indoors lots of mil uniforms and odd bits .plenty MREs as well!!!

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

Interesting stuff.
The radial in the foreground is a later type P&W R-2800, right type for the Provider.
The turbines are not APUs, they are Allison 250s which are widely used in helicopters, and some turboprops.
EDIT: The Allison 250 was used in the Fantrainer you can see in the background too.
Pete

Member for

20 years 1 month

Some interesting stuff there. What's the "US Army" single type? Is that a Fantrainer in the first picture? Questions, questions.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Its a much modified Chipmunk!

Member for

20 years 1 month

Good heavens. I suppose the next question is "why"? The prop is mounted at an interesting angle.

Member for

16 years 8 months

The fantrainer has a German reg number probably spurious,D-EATP. It is essentially complete .There are the remains of a helicopter (sikorsky bits labeled)and various engines ,mainly flat four and flat six Lycomings.Various wings and other bits lying about.I can only assume they come from Thai airforce sources.U-Tapao is just down the road and was a major base during the Vietnam "conflict".The US Army plane has been pointed out as a version of the chipmonk with a flat four engine.It however has been stripped inside and only the shell remains plus the engine.Seems like things change quite frequently there ,I shall keep an eye on it!!

Member for

24 years 3 months

I think I'm correct in saying that the Chipmunk is a RTAF-4 Chantra, a local conversion of Chipmunk airframes dating from the 1970s.

Member for

20 years 1 month

Thanks chaps.

Member for

17 years 6 months

The fan trainer was built for the Germans and bought by Thailand also as trainers, indeed I believe Thailand assembled them after the first couple were delivered, they then changed the fibreglass wings to metal versions.

Member for

14 years

There are 2 Fantrainers in the museum at Don Muang and 2 in the scrappies outside.

Where is the scrapyard in these pics?

Member for

20 years 1 month

I think I'm correct in saying that the Chipmunk is a RTAF-4 Chantra, a local conversion of Chipmunk airframes dating from the 1970s.

Well I never ! First I have heard of those. I wonder if the squared off fin made any difference, with spinning for instance.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Thailand---Air/RTAF-4-Chandra/1652190/M/ (photo of Chantra)

Member for

16 years 3 months

There are two C-series R-2800's and what looks like a P&W Twin Wasp R-1830 or a B-series Double Wasp R-2800 in the first picture. It's probably a Twin Wasp as there were very few, if any, B-series 2800's in use by the fifties. Twin Wasp was, of course, widely used in the DC-3/C-47.

Nice scrappy. I wish there was one like that down the road from me!

Anon.

Member for

19 years 5 months

With Faux US markings from a film?

Member for

18 years 7 months

Correct; RTAF-4 Chantra (Moon) Photo taken at RTAF museum several years ago-

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225957[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

Probably. There were only a dozen built and I'm pretty sure none ever made it beyond Thai airspace Maybe the paint scheme was done for some local tv or film production

Member for

18 years 11 months

The same aircraft features in this thread started 5 days ago by the same poster (note the same metal structure in the background).

ID was established there as well.

Member for

15 years 9 months

Any news on where the scrapyard is in Thailand?

Member for

16 years 8 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]226002[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]226003[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]226004[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]226005[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]226006[/ATTACH]
Heres a few more from the yard.Its location is about 10k south of pattay on Sukhumvit road,on google earth it shows a Avro 748 but this is long gone.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 9 months

Ta :eagerness:

Member for

24 years 3 months

Are you not tempted to buy any of this?

Member for

15 years

Are you not tempted to buy any of this?

Ditti. I'd grab that Fan-trainer asap 'cause it's going to be a very rare plane in the near future.