Interested in Bf-109s? You Should Definitely Have A Peek Here

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

Just today a new Bf-109 project was published by MeierMotors on their FB and website. Without telling too much, it is quite a step forward, and will be a one of a kind, but see for yourself:

http://www.meiermotors.com/de/news.html

or here: (even more info)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/MeierMotors-GmbH/196699400376090

Michael

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

...and the FB link takes you to...

"We have order to repair and convert the Messerschmitt Bf109 (Licence Hispano Aviacion Buchon) D-FMVS after the taxiing incident some moths ago to a Messerschmitt Bf109 G-12. The doubleseater will be powered with a Daimler Benz DB605 engine. We are very glad and proud about this fantastic project in our shop. After the conversion is done, this will be the only doubleseater Bf109 worldwide. Perfect for pilot-trainings and of course joyrides "

Some joyride! Assuming of course the passenger can fit...'lol'

Great news, Mathius.

Member for

11 years 3 months

Flying the G-12 Two-seater

A two seat Me 109 G-12. Now as the Welsh might say, "There's intrepid, isn't it?"

Captain Eric Brown, arguably the world's greatest test pilot, wrote in "Wings of the Luftwaffe" the following:-

"One of my rashest ventures was to fly the Bf 109 G-12 tandem two-seater from the rear cockpit with no one in the forward cockpit. I was interested to ascertain what sort of a view the instructor had for landing. The answer was none! I had to make three very frightening attempts before regaining terra firma. The periscope sight in the rear cockpit was of no use whatsoever in the vital final stage of flare, touch-down and landing run. One can only assume that Luftwaffe instructors finding themselves in a Bf 109 G-12 acquired a fatalistic acceptance of an inevitable reliance on their pupils for the finale of each training flight. I would certainly not recommend the ultimate solution that I adopted of a split-S turning dive at the runway and then a burst of power to avoid cratering the tarmac, and tail-up contact on the mainwheels. After the tail dropped it was anybody's guess as to the direction in which the aircraft was heading. I certainly had not the vaguest idea."

Member for

20 years 8 months

Interesting.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Ambitious. I suppose Meier, restoring 4 DB-engined 109s at the moment, are working on the same basis that EADS do. That is, if you have enough of them, you have at least a chance of having one of them working at any given time.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Wasn't there a 2-seater Hispano one in Texas that was used in the Battle of Britain film. What happened to that, is it still there ?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Still in Connie Edwards' hangar. However the configuration of the Bf 109G-12 is very different to that of the two-seater Buchon.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Ok thanks Mike, didn't realise they were different configuration, but nice to know it's still there. As an aside if it's not to difficult to answer briefly, what are the main differences in configuration between the two? Thanks

Member for

19 years 3 months

Here is an Avia CS-199 two seater (Bf 109G-12)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 3 months

The G-12 has a different configuration, with tandem, sideways-opening standard Bf 109 canopies.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hmm, standard Buchon is a bit 'neither fish nor fowl'. Buchon with DB engine and dual controls - nice project, I just don't see any value in it!

Member for

13 years 11 months

Ambitious. I suppose Meier, restoring 4 DB-engined 109s at the moment, are working on the same basis that EADS do. That is, if you have enough of them, you have at least a chance of having one of them working at any given time.

Mike, there are 3 different customers there. E-1: Robs Lamplough, G-4: Jerry Yagen (MAM / Fighter Factory), G-6 and G-12: Air Fighter Academy / Hangar 10, none of those planes / projects is owned by MeierMotors AFAIK. BTW the canopies of a G-12 are not standard Bf-109 canopies, they are modified ones. The left and middle parts are pivoting to the right, right side of canopy is fixed (due to stability reasons of the cockpit area?). And all G-12´s were modified from standard G-models (G-2 to G-6 IIRC), none were newbuilt fuselages.

Michael

Member for

20 years 7 months

Flying the G-12 Two-seater

A two seat Me 109 G-12. Now as the Welsh might say, "There's intrepid, isn't it?"

Captain Eric Brown, arguably the world's greatest test pilot, wrote in "Wings of the Luftwaffe" the following:-

"One of my rashest ventures was to fly the Bf 109 G-12 tandem two-seater from the rear cockpit with no one in the forward cockpit. I was interested to ascertain what sort of a view the instructor had for landing. The answer was none! I had to make three very frightening attempts before regaining terra firma. The periscope sight in the rear cockpit was of no use whatsoever in the vital final stage of flare, touch-down and landing run. One can only assume that Luftwaffe instructors finding themselves in a Bf 109 G-12 acquired a fatalistic acceptance of an inevitable reliance on their pupils for the finale of each training flight. I would certainly not recommend the ultimate solution that I adopted of a split-S turning dive at the runway and then a burst of power to avoid cratering the tarmac, and tail-up contact on the mainwheels. After the tail dropped it was anybody's guess as to the direction in which the aircraft was heading. I certainly had not the vaguest idea."

Blimey,that reads like some sort of horror story especially from such an experienced ,highly trained and gifted pilot.I hope the new owners/pilots have good insurance.

Member for

13 years 11 months

Blimey,that reads like some sort of horror story especially from such an experienced ,highly trained and gifted pilot.I hope the new owners/pilots have good insurance.

Well, I do believe the pilots wanting to get conversion training today will definitely have clocked more hours than the rookie Luftwaffe pilots. In early 1944 the average fighterpilot had 160 hours total flying time when transferring to the operational unit, later in ´44 that was further reduced to 112 hours average. This consisted of 2 hrs. gliders, 50 hrs. primary training, 40 hrs. advanced training, and only 20 hrs. operational training (average timeframe then: 5 months). So when flying a G-12 they had around 92 hours. And the trainer might not be the best around either. I believe anybody trying a conversion training today, will be better suited, having a lot more hours on high performance taildraggers. And a trainer today would not fly the G-12 singleseated from the rear seat. And the additional idea is, to be able to offer joyrides. Though they will not be cheap, one or another might want to experience the 109 from the rear seat as a passenger as well.

Michael

Member for

12 years

Wow!
I think this will be one of the most interesting warbird projects for the next two or three years. I didn´t expect a two seat "BF 109" to get airborn again.

Member for

20 years 10 months

2 seat Me109 taken at Augsburg 1945

Something like this I believe.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]224535[/ATTACH]
photo courtesy of Jack Johnston

Attachments

Member for

12 years

Hmm, standard Buchon is a bit 'neither fish nor fowl'. Buchon with DB engine and dual controls - nice project, I just don't see any value in it!

But where´s the value to build up the 45th (or so) flying Spitfire or Mustang around the only remaining part of the aircraft, it´s data plate? I think we should be happy with any interesting Warbird, which will fly again. And the G12 will be interesting for shure. Just my opinion.

Member for

24 years 3 months

It does make a Spitfire TR.IX look like Marilyn Monroe in comparison! I would have thought it would be easier to speak to Connie Edwards and ask to use his Buchon two seater as a template to convert another Buchon to twin stick.

Member for

12 years

I think it would even be cheaper to buy this aircraft from Mr. Edwards, restore the fuselage, take the still fully intact wings and tailsection from the damaged Buchon and after two years of work you will have an aircraft which nobody wants to have- a two seat Buchon! (Of course, I would like to have one). So I think the option to convert this aircraft into a G12 is the better one. If this project will leave the hangar, it will be a high standard airworthy replica of a BF 109 G12, which was built at much higher standards than the original coverted G12 aircrafts. Not more and not less.

Member for

20 years 8 months

Or just use the parts from the Edwards stash to make a complete aircraft...?

As has been said, the M4L and the G-12 are quite different.