24 years 3 months

Thread for all 2014 ebay finds!

Original post

Member for

15 years

Whitley undercarriage leg ebay 191024143345

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the heads up Varsity - it's not from a Whitley though i'm afraid... It doesn't look WW2 to me either.

Member for

15 years

Looks like Meteor main leg to me after a second look.

Member for

19 years 2 months

It's Meteor nose leg.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Lol, I had it down as a nose leg, but didn't know what for.

Member for

16 years 3 months

Blimey, that's rough. Must have been found in a scrapyard. Strange the bearings are still on the axle.

Anon.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Worth more as a Whitley leg. Has he changed the details?

Meteor looks right.

Member for

19 years 10 months

I'm normally a big fan of ebay (the arguments of this is another story!) Anyhow what gets my goat is when people advertise something as "rare" without knowing what it is. Last week there was a listing for " A very rare control yoke" The seller went on to say "I am not sure what type of plane this came from so if you know please feel free to message me so I can let everyone else know." . Well first point is how does the seller know it's "a very rare" item if he does not know what it is from? I've seen this phrase used so many times. When I told the seller what type of aircraft the yoke came from, in this case it was a business jet, did he complete his promise of letting everyone else know? Of course not, because the rarity of the item had gone out of the window and it no longer suited his purposes. He ho! Just a gripe, I wish people were a bit more honest and responsible!

Member for

19 years 3 months

Understand what you mean FB old chap. Another gripe I have has just cost me the loss of a lovely aircraft part and over £100. PLEASE make sure you either get tracking or adequate insurance. Ebay love their small print. My small print said insured only if requested by buyer. This apparently counts for nothing in Ebay terms. Even though I have that in my item details and the proof of posting, I am apparently still liable for the lost item. Expensive lesson. I am now considering whether Ebay is where I want to be to sell my stuff. Ebay own Paypal and insist sellers take it. Therefore, they get fees on listing, selling and payment method. Ebay have now also added that they will also take 10% of postage fee (since September). Ebay buyer protection puts everything on the seller - Ebay/PP dont have any risk. I guess none of this really matters as long as sellers are fully aware of potential pitfalls.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Tony,

According to the rules, everything should be sent tracked, which of course, costs a fortune and puts buyers off buying in the first place.

You need to build the postage, packing and fees costs into your initial opening offer. If you were going to ask a minimum of a fiver, but it will cost you another five for postage and fees, then start it at a tenner.

Ebay isn't perfect, but there isn't really anything else right now.

Bruce

Member for

19 years 3 months

Sage advice Bruce. I usually use Royal Mail....they have changed compensation recently which sellers need to be aware of. Not being a 'dealer' I just use it to prune my stupid hoarding habit!! and am not aware as I should be of pitfalls. Thought I'd share with others in my position. As you say....it is only thing out there - other than AJs and I still do those and enjoy them!!

Member for

13 years 1 month

There are a couple of alternatives but nothing with the coverage of ebay, I can spend hours a week searching for Tornado bits .5% worthwhile!

- a shame a museum couldn't run a sales/want board and take a small cut of price as a 'fee'

Member for

17 years 6 months

And I wouldn't out it past some folks saying it never arrived.... Incidentally i have a photo not turn up and despite raising an issue they cancelled it at a set time, so I'm both out the goods and the cash, even though they make a big thing of the refund guaranteed, peeved about the picture as it was an RAF VC10 original print

Member for

15 years 5 months

Pilots seat from a Percival Pembroke. Neither WWII or USAF. :)