FW 190 D-FWMV (ex-Tom Blair) flies again, 2nd maiden after being grounded

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 11 months

Flugwerk FW 190 D-FWMV (formerly with Tom Blair at Duxford) took to the skies again at Braunschweig Airport on Tuesday, 05.11.2013. After a rebuilt and new silver paintwork at MeierMotors there was an issue with very shabby and faulty riveting on the wings. After only few flights the aircraft was grounded by the LBA. Now the FW 190 is airworthy again, hope to see her regularly in future. Below is the link to pics taken before, during and after the first flight in Braunschweig on 05.11.2013.

http://forum.luftfahrtclubbraunschweig.de/05-11-2013-flug-werk-fw-190-d-fwmv-1-take-off-bwe-t3458.html

Enjoy,
Michael

Original post

Member for

20 years 7 months

I find it worrying to think a new build already had " shabby and faulty riveting on the wings" .Nice to see it back safely in the air.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Good photos, plane looks great. Thanks for the link redvanner.

Member for

11 years 3 months

The polished engine cowling and prop spinner looks Fab. The polished rudder though seems to show up the imperfections. Is its engine a Jumo 222d ? Overall I think I prefer the original Camouflage Livery. Seems to give the aircraft that more fierce look. Great to see its flying, well done to all involved.

Member for

13 years 11 months

The polished engine cowling and prop spinner looks Fab. The polished rudder though seems to show up the imperfections. Is its engine a Jumo 222d ? Overall I think I prefer the original Camouflage Livery. Seems to give the aircraft that more fierce look. Great to see its flying, well done to all involved.

No, engine is an ASh 82T, in fact the Chinese licence production of it, used in many Russian and Chinese planes, like the Ilyushin Il 14 and several other transport and passenger planes.

Michael

Member for

20 years 1 month

Not too sure about the "salute" in the third picture down. Fine job though.

Member for

13 years 11 months

If it were, what you might suspect, it would be totally wrong. Left arm instead of right, so not to be misunderstood. I take it as a friendly wave to the onlookers, nothing else to be seen there IMHO.

Michael

Member for

18 years 2 months

Great to see this aircraft back in the air again. Although a standard Luftwaffe scheme would look good, the silver look is pretty stunning and reminiscent of some works prototype finishes.

Have to say though that I had to double take the last photo...I thought he had bellied in during the landing!!

Regards;
Steve

Member for

24 years 3 months

It looks like a straightforward wave to me and I think any suggestion otherwise is distasteful.

A nice looking machine, well done to all!

Member for

12 years 1 month

What a wonderful looking aircraft.
On another note I spent 19 years in Germany, and remarks like the one a few posts above, make me ashamed to be a "Brit", this forum is about enjoying aircraft, keep the political remarks out.

Member for

24 years 3 months

So the FW190 was designed as a tool of the Nazi regime and undoubtedly used slave labour in the construction of the genuine article .Therefore we should celebrate the warplane and condemn anyone who mistakes an arm wave as a salute ! What a strange world we live in!

Member for

17 years 11 months

So the FW190 was designed as a tool of the Nazi regime and undoubtedly used slave labour in the construction of the genuine article .Therefore we should celebrate the warplane and condemn anyone who mistakes an arm wave as a salute ! What a strange world we live in!

OMG David Burke.............you need to get out more.............an aeroplane is an aeroplane, good or bad, lovely or ugly, iconic or 'just another one. Kurt Tank could have come from any country. It happened to be Germany and...yes we know all the bad things etc..etc. But D-FWMV is a fantastic aeroplane in its own right... wave, salute or whatever...get over it !!!!

Member for

11 years 3 months

What a wonderful looking aircraft.
On another note I spent 19 years in Germany, and remarks like the one a few posts above, make me ashamed to be a "Brit", this forum is about enjoying aircraft, keep the political remarks out.

Couldn't agree more. Its all about the engineering aspect, but as with some threads, politics seem to creep in and spoil it. Would we have progressed this far technically had it not been for the War machine? I suppose we may have done by now. What do you think?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Confused - where's the Lang Nasen? Were there short nosed Doras?

[Edit] Ah oops - the D is part of the registration?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Xtangomike -I couldn't care less if the pilot did any kind of salute ! I think the reality is that we glorify some parts of the Nazi regime and find other parts distasteful . The aircraft (FW-190) was a part of that regime -it wasn't designed by Kurt Tank for air displays -so whether you feel it's completely separate or not -it isn't !

Member for

12 years 6 months

I think you put too much milk on your breakfast cereal young man. Go and stand in the corner.

Member for

12 years 6 months

Give us a break FFS.

Member for

12 years 6 months

As We Were Saying....

AAaaaaanyway;- Great photos and great to see such a mammoth project back in the air where it belongs. :)

Member for

20 years 1 month

Glad you think I'm a young man Snoopy. I bet I've got a few more grey hairs than you. You will note that I didn't make any comment about the salute/wave and I'm sure it was the latter. However, having worked in Germany, I am aware of how sensitive the Germans are about anything that even vaguely reminds them of the Nazi regime and who can blame them. That is why I was surprised to see this photograph published and that is all! I do remember going to an airshow in Bavaria when a Ju 52 arrived from the UK with a swastika on the tail and the comments in the crowd which amounted to "das is verboten in Deutschland".

Member for

24 years 3 months

Having worked in Gemany as well - its a strange paradox that the swastika is banned yet at places like Sinsheim you can see an aircraft painted in Luftwaffe wartime markings that has no connnection with Germany at all!

Member for

12 years 6 months

Amongst mature, intelligent adults, none of these thing should require comment frankly. It's 2013. Anyone left alive now is going to have been too young to have been a serious player and they'll all be dead soon too. The younger Germans do not deserve to have these things brought-up childishly and frivolously. It's insulting. Aren't Germans allowed to raise their arms above their waste before some daft twerp makes a comment?????
As for the Swastika on a/c - my personal view is that outside Germany, it's offensive not to include them, as it panders to the PC brigade and is tampering with history. History isn't a pick & mix counter. As for what happens within Germany - that's their bag alone.
Do we raise our hands in horror when a bunch of 're-enactors' dress-up as Romans and wave an Imperial Standard around...? No, it's old news, and frankly, as the last survivors die off, so is he Second World War. Time everyone moved-on and grew-up. Why am I even having to say this in 2013....... :sleeping: