Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suppose to be fair to Hendon, we don't actually know if the P-40 has been brought back to UK and RAFM just haven't said!

Comment

• jeepman
      infrequent poster now
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Mike J View Post
      Cart before horse?
      or perhaps cart in preparation for the horse.

Whatever the raison d'etre, the planning application seems to mark the end of the upper galleries - which I always thought were worth a lengthy wander and were full of interesting smaller items like the pressure suit from the Bristol 138, the RRAC and other artefacts.

PS Anybody read the new FP on the subject?......
      Last edited by jeepman; 25th February 2014, 13:27.
      JM

Comment

Is this still the P40 'secure storage' does anybody know? It was supposed to be its 'home' immediately post-recovery.
        Attached Files

Comment

• David Burke
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2000

Its fine ! They didn't put one of those cheap Chinese padlocks on the container !

Comment

• Zidante
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Feb 2013

I can only agree with Jeepman. The loss of the upper galleries is a sad one: will the artifacts that were in them be displayed in a new place? I've always been fascinated by the displays there (when they've been accessible), ever since the Museum opened and I was only about 6 or 7 when I first visited. Whatever happened to the dioramas? They fell out of favour and got removed. I saw the WWI trench one, sans aircraft, in a corner of The Graeme White Hanger a few years back, maybe they are in a hut somewhere.

If 'modern museum visitors' want hanging aircraft and no uniforms, flying suits, medals etc, etc then they have to be catered for. But some concession to those of us who do would be nice, I hope that comes to pass too. (Along with a decent display of the nose art in the BC hall...)

P.S. I REALLY like Hendon, for all its niggles it does do so much so well.

Thread creep over, back to the more important matters.

Comment

• WebPilot
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Originally posted by jeepman View Post
              or perhaps cart in preparation for the horse.
              It's generally best to build a stable before getting a horse :-) Very interesting news; I share the concern as the the remains of Flt Sgt Copping

Comment

• dko
                dko
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Nov 2012

Please could I know where I can find the photographic documentation relating to aerial
                reconnaissance made in North Africa (Tobruk-El Alamein) in the period 1941/42 ?
                Thanks

Comment

• Whitley_Project
                  If in doubt apply heat..
                  • Jan 2000

Cart before horse?
                  The RAFM do already have a Kittyhawk on the books. http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/research...-kittyhawk-iv/

It could always be for that...

Comment

• l.garey
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Feb 2006

I was at the RAFM last weekend. I asked the attendant whether they had yet received the Egyptian P-40. Yes said he, it's over there, indicating THEIR P-40. Not that one, said I, the one from the desert. Oh you mean the one that crashed and the pilot walked away and was never found. Yes, said I. He then needed to speak to someone higher in the pecking order, and came back with the word that no-one knew anything else about what I was asking about ... but he was very charming with it!
                    Laurence

Comment

As far as we know, and following RAFM's exchange of a Spitfire to their contractor in return for getting the P40 out of the desert, the P40 is still sat in Egypt. Unless it is in that vast and very secret government repository alongside the crate marked:'Ark of The Covenant'. According to other sources the Spitfire is with 'RAFM Reserve Collection North Weald'.

Comment

• D1566
                        Needs retiring.
                        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dko View Post
                        Please could I know where I can find the photographic documentation relating to aerial
                        reconnaissance made in North Africa (Tobruk-El Alamein) in the period 1941/42 ?
                        Thanks
                        Might be worth looking here; http://www.raf.mod.uk/ahb/sourcesofi...rialphotos.cfm
                        Martin

Comment

• dko
                          dko
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Nov 2012

Martin thanks for the link !

Comment

• airmanual
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by D1566 View Post
                            THANK YOU Martin!!!

Had wished for years to find old aerial photographs of my house and neighborhood (I'm living in the North of Brussels) but had given-up. Now, thanks to this link, two perfect 1944 photos were just a few clicks away.

Laurent

Comment

• qattara
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • May 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	3654490Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0064.JPG
Size:	243.1 KB
ID:	3654491dear all
                              now the story of p40 is in the public domain, of course not in its original form, but mystified by malicious false leads.
                              what we had to say we told you all stakeholders as possible, but we have always had an answer and a thank you enough.
                              Our vice president has been questioned by Egyptian secret services, has provided guidance to the British authorities dopodiche we only had problems emormi: Website blocked, telephones intercepted obstacles.
                              the bones have disappeared at some point, someone had secretly recuparate (not us) and I do not know what has been done.
                              The wp of the resort were not known to anyone, but obviously a spy or an interception nullified the subsequent work of a DNA test. (we had already contacted the family and we had the available sample).
                              RAI has a dedicated transmission to P40 and to our discovery, but unfortunately we had to stop due to force majeure.
                              Also the container is gone from Alamein and do not know what happened
                              Last edited by qattara; 9th June 2014, 11:42.

Comment

• Moggy C
                                • Jan 2000

This is all getting more than a little murky.

Thanks for posting.

Moggy
                                "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• qattara
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • May 2012

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090950 red.JPG
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	3654492

this is the area where we found the bones in June 2012
                                  Last edited by Bruce; 9th June 2014, 20:50.

Comment

• GrahamF
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Oct 2007

So has the Spitfire (a Mark 22 I believe) been traded to Kennet themselves or is it destined for the Egyptians?
                                    Doesn't seem like a good trade? A rare Spit 22 for a P40?
                                    "The 262's most dangerous opponent :- Hawker Tempest - extremely fast at low altitudes, highly-manoeuvrable and heavily-armed."
                                    (H. Lange, 262 pilot)

Comment

• l.garey
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Feb 2006

Qattara
                                      Do you mean that someone has "stolen" the bones that you found? Remember also that there were reportedly a second set. What happened to them, if they ever existed?
                                      I don't quite understand what you imply by "a spy or an interception nullified the subsequent work of a DNA test. (we had already contacted the family and we had the available sample)."
                                      Do you mean you kept a sample from the bones you found for DNA analysis? I had understood that you left all the bones "in situ". Were, then, samples taken? And who was to do the DNA? Remember that I had arranged for the analysis to be carried out, but I was never able to obtain specimens, as only you seemed to know where they were. We too had the family's agreement for recovery and analysis.
                                      I should be grateful for more information, either in the thread or privately.
                                      Ciao
                                      Laurence

Comment

• Bruce
                                        Independent analyst
                                        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by GrahamF View Post
                                        Doesn't seem like a good trade? A rare Spit 22 for a P40?
                                        Err, not that simple!

Comment

• Mike J
                                          • Jan 2000

Indeed, as there is still no sign of the P-40 in the UK. The trade would appear to have been a Spitfire in exchange for facilitating the packing and moving the P-40 to a more secure location (feel free to correct this if I have been misinformed).

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X