Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dko
    dko
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Nov 2012

Since the discovery of the wreck of the P40 was a media event that has affected the whole world.
    I propose to use the same channel to sponsor the search for the remains of Dennis Copping!
    Parachute or abandon an experienced competitor in the same spot landing of 70 years ago,
    with a reserve of food and water for 4 days and entrust to him the instinct of salvation (a kind of reality)
    The White Desert is the environment, the man and the survival kit are the ingredients .....
    all controlled and taken up by the camera!
    The challenge could be extended to three attempts and if not will be found the remains of Copping,
    all gains paid by the media will be strictly invested to new targeted searches, controlled by a special commission.
    This is just a different idea to move something and do everything possible to bring home Dennis!
    I hope that BBC or other media will be interested in a project or format like this!
    Comment with criticism and suggestions ....... at this point everything is constructive!
    Last edited by dko; 30th June 2013, 20:54.

Comment

• jack windsor
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Dec 2008

hi,
      I wish you luck with your proposal, at least it will nudge the media who hopefully will pressure the aurthorities to pull there finger out.Although your "survivor will do his best,at the back of his mind he will know a surport crew are at hand.
      In the case of the Lady be Good,her surviving crew of 8 travelled 85mls on only 1/2 canteen of water,then 3 carried on, 1 for a extra 21mls,and a second a further 26mls.

But something needs to be done,so I hope you succeed.

regards
      jack...

Comment

• dko
        dko
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Nov 2012

Jack thanks for the encouragement, I hope others can support this idea !
        First of all for such initiative must have the consent of the family of Copping so who
        is in contact with the family could seek advice.
        For the competitors we have to find three RAF pilots,young and brave that lend themselves
        to a voluntary search of their old colleague.
        The aim is noble ... then by all means are justified !

Comment

• 467 sqn RAAF
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ked01 View Post
          The contrast I've witnessed between the UK and the USA in their attitudes towards their deceased war heroes is a revelation.
          its disgraceful, the American's have a unit called JPAC (Joint POW/MIA Accounting Command) dedicated to finding service personnel who are still missing in action/killed in action body not recovered. Its just a shame that our government don't seem to take the same pride in finding/bringing home the remains of our personnel who gave their lives on active duty.

Comment

• l.garey
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Feb 2006

I second that. In spite of all our attempted openings to the diplomatic and ministerial services, we are getting nowhere (officially). That said, to go exploring the Egyptian desert in today's social climate in that country would not be easy, or recommendable.
            Laurence

Comment

• dko
              dko
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Nov 2012

The "Arab Spring" began in 2010 and since then it has been found the P40, "visited" by several expeditions and it was dismantled and taken away. Tourism in Egypt has continued without any restrictions!
              So I think that today's social climate is not different from that of yesterday and that is not the main issue for this type of search.

Comment

• jack windsor
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by l.garey View Post
                I second that. In spite of all our attempted openings to the diplomatic and ministerial services, we are getting nowhere (officially). That said, to go exploring the Egyptian desert in today's social climate in that country would not be easy, or recommendable.
                hi,
                is this not a ready made excuse, for our embassy doing nothing? I wonder what help they gave to the a/c recovery,?

regards
                jack...

Comment

• l.garey
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Feb 2006

dko: by "today's social climate" I was referring to the widespread unrest in Egypt over the last few days. That is, indeed, different from what happened in the "Arab Spring". It may even be difficult to get permission to look for remains in the desert, let alone export them legally. The idea of "three RAF pilots,young and brave" being "abandoned or parachuted" in the desert would be hard to sell at this time.

Jack: "is this not a ready made excuse, for our embassy doing nothing?" I was already told last year that the Embassy was busy with other problems, presumably related to the Arab Spring. If you remember what I said a few months ago, the Defence Attach informed me that the case was "closed".

I however applaud any legal attempt to recover Dennis Copping's remains.
                  Laurence

Comment

• jack windsor
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Dec 2008

Jack: "is this not a ready made excuse, for our embassy doing nothing?" I was already told last year that the Embassy was busy with other problems, presumably related to the Arab Spring. If you remember what I said a few months ago, the Defence Attach informed me that the case was "closed".

I however applaud any legal attempt to recover Dennis Copping's remains.[/QUOTE]

So the D.Att. was doing dogsbody duties then,helping sort the other problems ,but I wonder if he knows of the saying "chickens coming home to roost",if he thinks this case is closed...

regards
                    jack...

Comment

• dko
                      dko
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Nov 2012

Laurence,
                      if we do not find in the RAF three young pilots available
                      we will have to fall back on three brave pensioners, I'm there ... who else ?

Comment

• l.garey
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Feb 2006

It's a bit warm out in the desert now, but later .. I'm on! (Note my avatar photo of me recording some tyres I found in the Arabian desert!)
                        Laurence

Comment

• Mark12
                          MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                          • Jan 2000

I would have a very serious discussion about all this with the Italians first.

All may not be quite as it seems.

Mark
                          "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Some very serious discussions have been had with the Italians.

All is certainly not as it seems.

However, the facts remain; Flt Sgt Copping is still missing, somebody (possibly more than one somebody) has not been playing with a straight bat and the British authorities have been shambolic in delivering facts to the family which have been, variously, misleading, incorrect and untruthful. It needs all players to be open and honest about all that has gone on. That includes factual information from the P40 salvor.

Comment

• dko
                              dko
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Nov 2012

Mark, I agree with you, but we have to start something!
                              Perhaps the idea of the pilots or pensioners is curious but it is important
                              to join forces and do something with our own strength because no other
                              is more interested in the research of Dennis!

Comment

• dko
                                dko
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Nov 2012

It is funny how the people today care more about planes buried rather than trying to bury their pilots!
                                (Spit Burma over 3000 posts - Pilot unburied in the desert less than 500 posts)

Comment

• ZRX61
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • May 2005

saw a pic yesterday of the P40 being dismantled, the wing was separated from the fuselage.
                                  If anybody ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me: It's all balls. RJM.

Comment

• David Burke
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Jan 2000

dko -I think the 500 posts have a high value . The majority of the 3000 posts are of little consequence -just hunting shadows!

Comment

• Mark12
                                      MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by ZRX61 View Post
                                      saw a pic yesterday of the P40 being dismantled, the wing was separated from the fuselage.
                                      It was dismantled by a team of professional Warbird engineers at night under flood lights. Top Job.

Mark
                                      "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

Not sure if the video here has been seen before:

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/whot...an-desert.html

Comment

• DavidIsby
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Apr 2012

Unfortunately, as this article shows, the US government continues to fail in similar issues to those discussed in this thread, despite having made vastly more resources (and rhetoric) devoted to the task than the UK government.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-im...-dysfunctional
                                          sigpic author of THE DECISIVE DUEL: SPITFIRE vs 109

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X