Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firebex
    North Yorkshire
    • Jan 2010

Originally posted by David Burke
    Not in one go! Two trips yes ! However you need to get the Chinook to the P-40 !

Dobbins -why would it discredit the pilot to restore it? I don't think every pilot has in the front of their mind that if they ever damage an aircraft they would wish it to remain in that condition as a memorial to them ! The P-40 was doing a job out in the desert -to restore it isnt drastic -its just repairing it to the condition prior to hitting the sand.

As for the RAFM -they have the Hampden to finish and the Dornier depending on what comes out of the sand ! I think people are maybe expecting too much of the nationals when it seems our country cannot even manage to recover a P-38 on a beach in North Wales!
    On th elast point I offered to go out and help recover the P38 and give it space but no one on this forum was interested or so it seems.

Comment

• piston power!
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jul 2009

The condition of this p-40 is beautifull just think of all those other military vehicles scattered about left there, lets have a few panzar tanks brought back, all they will need is some fuel and a oil change and there up and running.

Any pictures of these other vehicles left in the desert?

Comment

• TonyT
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2006

just think of all those other military vehicles scattered about left there, lets have a few panzar tanks brought back, all they will need is some fuel and a oil change and there up and running.
        That will be Afghanistan, the majority of our 12000 vehicles in the field will simply be left there.

Comment

• David Thompson
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Jan 2011

In response to TonyT's post above and I don't want to go off thread but this story also featured in the press last week , The Times possibly ? , so perhaps more equipment will come back to the UK than is left ;
          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ghanistan.html

Comment

• David Burke
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Jan 2000

Piston Power -in all fairness it would be great to bring a few Panzers back ! However my 'back' means a trip for them that terminates back home in Germany!

Comment

• walshlee
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000

Updates from Canada.....

This just aired on the CBC today. Sadly haven't watched it yet as my workstation will not run the flash player needed. No IP filtering on this CBC so everyone should be able to watch this.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/World.../ID=2234239198

Comment

• Peter
                • Jan 2000

Can we try and stick to the topic of the thread and not repeatedly drift off onto other topics??
                Cheers,Peter
                "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

• Pat Murphy
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Aug 2004

CBC Interview

I would think that a TV interview from a former 260 Sqn pilot who flew with Copping and was an eye witness to the events that lead up to Sgt Coppings last flight would be on topic. I'm pleased that link was posted.

Comment

• teejaymac
                    Rank 3 Registered User
                    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Pat Murphy
                    I would think that a TV interview from a former 260 Sqn pilot who flew with Copping and was an eye witness to the events that lead up to Sgt Coppings last flight would be on topic. I'm pleased that link was posted.
                    But We don't know for certain it WAS Copping . I'm starting to regret I ever mentioned him in the first place.

Comment

• Dobbins
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Feb 2012

IF they are serious about looking for human remains and IF they find any then the pilot will be confirmed that way, instead of identifying the airframe. If it was definitely Copping then surely someone will have confirmed it by now?

Comment

• Sutts
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by walshlee
                        This just aired on the CBC today. Sadly haven't watched it yet as my workstation will not run the flash player needed. No IP filtering on this CBC so everyone should be able to watch this.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/World.../ID=2234239198

Thanks for the link. Great to see a vet speak about the incident. Those news readers are so dumb though.....fighter jet from WWII! LOL

Comment

• Bmused55
                          Aaahh Emu!
                          • Oct 2003

Apparently some Canadian aviation forum has tagged this P40 as the steed of a former RAF pilot now living in Canada.

I commented on a video of this P40 on Liveleak and was told so.
                          Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
                          My Designs

Comment

• TEEJ
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bmused55
                            Apparently some Canadian aviation forum has tagged this P40 as the steed of a former RAF pilot now living in Canada.

I commented on a video of this P40 on Liveleak and was told so.
                            It comes from the following link. The webpage has been continually updated. Remember it is all speculation until the true identity of the aircraft is determined.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNe...iscovered.aspx

... If this is HS-B Serial Number ET574, then it seems possible that Stocky Edwards did fly it.
                            ... Richard Allnutt and I have played with a couple of the photos to try to bring out the serial number on the back of the aircraft. On the right side, we were able to distinguish a letter T, a numeral 4 and part of the numeral 7. On the left side, we can barely see the remains of a letter E. With these clues, we are quite certain that this will finally be identified as ET 574.

Comment

• Bmused55
                              Aaahh Emu!
                              • Oct 2003

Of course its only speculation. I was neither for or against the story told on that website, I was just mentioning it here.
                              Bmused55

Keep thy airspeed up, less the earth come from below and smite thee.

My Blog
                              My Designs

Comment

• John Kerr
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • May 2004

Doesn't ET-574 has the US Military Number of 41-35928?

Comment

• teejaymac
                                  Rank 3 Registered User
                                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by John Kerr
                                  Doesn't ET-574 has the US Military Number of 41-35928?

Yes John thats the A/C

Comment

• Bob
                                    Bob
                                    Aerophile
                                    • Jan 2000

Reading the Times while having my Costa Flat White I note a letter from the nephew of the suggested pilot of this aircraft. I just hope his wish to repatriate the remains of his uncle, if found, are not dashed when it turns out not to be his aircraft....

Until such time as the ID of the a/c can be confirmed by "data plates", the identity of the pilot should be left 'open'?...
                                    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• TonyT
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Oct 2006

Would they do that? I thought the norm was to inter them in a Commonweath war graveyard in the country. Only reason I could see for that to differ would be to bring them home identify the remains before intering them.

Comment

• Bob
                                        Bob
                                        Aerophile
                                        • Jan 2000

Maybe they meant "repatriate" in a the sense of giving him CWGC marked grave?...
                                        Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• David Burke
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Jan 2000

Bob - 100% spot on -if the aircraft was flown by one of our own relatives and possibly we had been waiting seventy plus years for closure -the thought of speculation without having a little bit more patience to confirm 100% the aircraft identity would be a touch insensitive.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X