Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    Bob
    Aerophile
    • Jan 2000

Dig out the KD and pith helmets, some camel riding experience preferred - aircraft guards required by the RAFM....
    Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• Steve Newman
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Aug 2010

Completely agree Andy, even if nothing is going to happen by them at least if that was known others may be able to step up to the plate. I have recovered a lot of historic vehicles (non aircraft) from around the world and often people stand aside waiting for someone 'better placed' to do something and by the time its realised they aren't/wont do anything the opportunity has gone.

Surely in this day in age we aren't going to be left looking back on an opportunity to perhaps find an MIA and recover a time capsule?

Steve

Comment

• Bob
        Bob
        Aerophile
        • Jan 2000

If this was a US operated aircraft and pilot you can bet your bottom dollar there would be a JPAC team crawling all over the site by now....
        Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

• 43-2195
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • May 2012

Buzz,
          Can you confirm what you said about the stamping in the lower left longeron not being the constructors number applying to all Curtiss P-40s(H-87's)? I only have experience with "N" models, and have always believed this number to be the CN. Also you mention a USAAF IRC form what is this? Are you refering to the "Individual Aircraft History Card"(IAHC) held at The National Air & Space Museum?

Andy,
          That's a very good point about the engine serial number being on the front of the cylinder bank. I have a -115 model and I can confirm there are numbers stamped into those blanks in front of the cylinder block, however I'm going to have to take a pencil rubbing because they are very dificult to read. The Engine Data Plate and Modification/Overhaul Plate are on the rightside of the crankcase, the mod/overhaul plate is forward of the data plate. Being brass, I'm certain they would make great souvenirs.
          SEEKING LOCKHEED P-38 PARTS, WILL BUY OR SWAP.

Comment

...and the brass plate(s) are probably being beaten into Benares trays, minature camels and miniature pyramids even as I write this!

Comment

• H-87A-2CU
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Mar 2004

Curtiss Numbers

Hi 43-2195

The IRC is the Individual record card, or later as they became IAHC's, this depends on the Model and time the aircraft was built.

To the numbers, in my experience the number stamped on the Longeron is not the C/N but the ship number. This has been born out by numerous cross referencing between wrecks found, and Serial number/C.N.....

Please see PM for further details.

Buz

Comment

• Dobbins
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Feb 2012

I'm surprised the IWM don't seem to be interested?

Comment

To be fair, one national museum (the RAFM) have expressed an interest. Thus, I cannot imagine that IWM would want to barge in and also express an interest.

In any event, it all the begs the question; whether RAFM (or any other party) can negotiate for this to leave Egypt. It is on Egyptian soil, and it is not "ours" by right although there already seems to be a general assumption that it will come to the UK. If the Egyptians ultimately do not want it to leave the country then they should be offered assistance to get it to a place of safety. If the UK have negotiated for its release, we do not yet know that.

Again, to be fair (to the RAFM) we do not know if any credible plan exists for its retrieval in any case - and that is assuming it will be released. There is clearly mounting press interest, and a pending TX by BBC World Service (TV) tonight - hence more and more people across the globe are getting to know of the story and the P40s existence.

Comment

• shepsair
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Oct 2009

P40

Heads up

Tonights ITN evening new by the sound of it.

regards

Mark

Comment

Will be watching....!!

Does this mean RAFM have broken cover?

(Mark - you might be getting a call from the BBC, too. You can blame me!)

Comment

• shepsair
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Oct 2009

P40

Haha Andy,

Had ITN, BBC and BFBS text and phoning me all day.

BBC wanted me in the London Studio by 5pm! Informed them its a hobby and not a job and getting up and leaving on a Friday afternoon was not on.

Been putting your name forward and you like your face on TV but hear you are skipping the country!

Have a good time in France!

regards

Mark

PS - Believe ITN's report includes speaking with Director of RAFM so I think the cover is broken!

Comment

Mark

Ah! It was the BBC who wanted you at 5pm. Perhaps they should get hold of Peter Dye at RAFM instead?

As I told the newspapers, and the BBC, I cannot offer anything but opinions and what has been posted all over the net, anyhow. I'm not the person they need to talk to about this but they have beaten a path to my door - but if RAFM can't/won't, then I suggested you were the man for the job!

Comment

• skeeler
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Jul 2008

Surprised it's taken the BBC so long. They could've had a scoop last Sunday. I spoke with a BBC film crew at Bruntingthorpe. They were filming for a 2 part documentary that will be aired on BBC4 in either September or October this year. It's entitled 'the Golden Age of Aviation'. The crew assistant told me that it wasn't 'within their sphere of interest'. Maybe he didn't realise that the Documentary they were making was about Aviation and Peoples connection thereto? Clearly he won't be joining BBC news unless his nose for a story develops. I'll post some pics of the crew filming with the LPG later on a new thread.

Comment

• 43-2195
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • May 2012

Andy/Mark,
                              If the opportunity arises, tell them the full story will come out when the RAFM download the black box.
                              SEEKING LOCKHEED P-38 PARTS, WILL BUY OR SWAP.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by skeeler
                                Surprised it's taken the BBC so long. They could've had a scoop last Sunday. I spoke with a BBC film crew at Bruntingthorpe. They were filming for a 2 part documentary that will be aired on BBC4 in either September or October this year. It's entitled 'the Golden Age of Aviation'. The crew assistant told me that it wasn't 'within their sphere of interest'. Maybe he didn't realise that the Documentary they were making was about Aviation and Peoples connection thereto? Clearly he won't be joining BBC news unless his nose for a story develops. I'll post some pics of the crew filming with the LPG later on a new thread.
                                WADR the ‘Golden Age of Aviation’ BBC4 item relates to post-war British aviation and the film crew is very focused on its brief!

Plus news crews and the documentary units have very little shared output!
                                Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Stuart H
                                  Big boys did it
                                  • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Stuart H
                                  Vey nicely done. The difference in contrast between the subject and the background could have been better rendered though, especially in the long distance shots. 7 out of 10 for photography, 10 out of 10 for modelling skills.
                                  Oh well, it's looking like I'll have to eat my words.
                                  The reason there is so little crime in Germany is that it's against the law.

Comment

• Mark12
                                    MEANS MOTIVE OPPORTUNITY
                                    • Jan 2000

Originally posted by Tangmere1940
                                    Mark

Ah! It was the BBC who wanted you at 5pm. Perhaps they should get hold of Peter Dye at RAFM instead?

As I told the newspapers, and the BBC, I cannot offer anything but opinions and what has been posted all over the net, anyhow. I'm not the person they need to talk to about this but they have beaten a path to my door - but if RAFM can't/won't, then I suggested you were the man for the job!
                                    The BBC have been on to me about this today. I referred them to Andy & Mark Shep.

So heads up as something definitely on the TV tonight.

Mark12
                                    "...the story had been forensically examined and was deeply impressive. I knew that the whole story was a load of myth and baloney"

Comment

• SimonDav
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • May 2007

its on the bbc website now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18038650

Comment

• Oxcart
                                        Rank 5 Registered User
                                        • Nov 2007

They'll be a piece about it on BBC London news between 6.30 and 7pm
                                        Give a man a fish and eat for a day. Give a man a fishing rod and he'll eat for a lifetime. Give a man religion and he'll die praying for a fish!

Comment

• TonyT
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Oct 2006

Ooooooohhhhhh errrrrrrr Andy's getting all excited

http://news.uk.msn.com//blog/trendin...ce067d&_nwpt=1

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X