Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flt Sgt Copping's P-40 From The Egyptian Desert

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Propstrike
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Mar 2004

The internet works both ways, and it is likely that the 'finders' know about the great interest in their discovery, and with satellite connections may well be reading threads such as this one.

It has seeped into the public consciousness that ' Warbirds = big bucks ' so they are unlikely to damage/destroy their asset. Also, as the ones who found it ( if they are ) they will probably feel a sense of ownership/protection , and given its ultra remote and hostile environment, it is not available for every passing idiot to tear a lump out of it.

If they are discrete as to its whereabouts , and sensible, the outlook should be encouraging.

Comment

• H87A-2
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Peter
      I don't know my P40's lads but could this be her serial number??
      Hi Peter

Just a quick look I would say possibly, however it would a non standard position and size for a Kittyhawk Serial.

Normally positioned a little further down towards the Mid fuselage line and further back towards the tail (not by much), I think you'll find what is shown is a small removable panel situated in that position.

Buz

Comment

• H87A-2
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Worcs Aviation
        Hi,

After seeing the massive interest in this thread I wondered if all the P40 experts could help me I.D this aircraft, maybe someone has records of the type.

All I have is RAF Maiduguri, Nigeria 1940-1

Also on the picture is written 'Drak's Tommahawk'

Remains of what could be a 6 on the fuselage.

Dont know if it will help with the big debate but any info would be great.

Cheers

Ant.

[ATTACH]204904[/ATTACH]
        Hi Ant.

Its likely to be either AK512 Damaged when aircraft landed in sand storm and swung at Maiduguri (Fltl Araszkiewicz) 16/6/41 or AK553 which swung on landing at Maiduguri 22/6/41 (SGT G.R.Bowerman). The number 6 on the fuselage is a Takoradi Route marking as is the white area on the upper spine of the aircraft.

Buz

Comment

• Desoto
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Dec 2008

Hi All,
          Peter what you have highlighted in the still is an access panel and the four dark areas are Dzus fasteners.
          Cheers,
          Ash.

Comment

• Bruce
            Independent analyst
            • Jan 2000

Different P40 Steve - keep up!

Comment

• John Aeroclub
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jul 2006

While I'm as fascinated as anyone by this and the possible ID I think we should perhaps be aware of the consequences of this being spattered all over the internet. For all we know (and I hope) some offical body and some of our well connected members is trying to identify the pilot and the outcome of his forced landing. Lets hope he made it but it's a long way out in the 'Blue'.

It would be nice if the Egyptian Goverment were to gift this to the RAF Museum or any resonsible authority so that no one will make any money out of what may well turn out to be a grave marker.

John

Comment

• Mark V
                Steve Atkin
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Bruce
                Different P40 Steve - keep up!
                I'm trying, but obviously not hard enough!
                www.warbirdcolour.co.uk

Comment

• Snoopy7422
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Oct 2011

Did I see tyre tracks..?

The photos in the original Link seem to have gone now. I did notice however, when I originally looked at them, that there seemed to be some old tyre-marks, filled-in with sand close to the a/c. This may well mean that the pilot was picked-up. I rather doubt that the RAF would have bothered to recover a possibly tired and quite badly damaged a/c from so deep into the desert anyway.
                  Lets hope the a/c survives it's current custodians...

Comment

• Peter
                    • Jan 2000

Thanks Buz and Ash, like i say I don't know my p40's so....
                    Cheers,Peter
                    "Merlins always drip oil, when they don't....worry!"

Comment

• Dobbins
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Feb 2012

If the pilot was picked up, would they not have at least salvaged the ammo and anything that could be easily detached?

Comment

• Beaufighter VI
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Sep 2005

What is interesting is that the radio is missing. Maybe, maybe after contact with base using the radio LRDG or others picked up the pilot and took radio so it would not fall into the wrong hands.
                        The a/c was not destroyed as it would have attracted attention to the possible rescuers.
                        Lets hope that was the scenario, but who knows?
                        " I'm not young enough to know everything." - J M Barrie 1903

Comment

• David Burke
                          Rank 5 Registered User
                          • Jan 2000

Dobbins - a couple of days ago numerous people didnt believe this was a real aircraft . Its hardly worth speculating on whats in the aircraft or otherwise -what we see is what there is.
                          Undoubtedly shortly there will be more information on the aircraft and the fate of the pilot.

Comment

• Peter
                            • Jan 2000

Just wondering how stable ammo would be after dry storage for 70 years?
                            Cheers,Peter

Comment

• Dobbins
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Feb 2012

I heard somewhere the other day that Spitfires had a mechanism to destroy the radio in such circumstances, so if it is missing then that's probably a good sign.

Comment

• Moggy C
                                • Jan 2000

It doesn't matter greatly.

Even if it was as unstable as hell, once clear of the breech it can happily pop itself off with little or no danger to anybody standing more than a foot or two away.

The powder will have lost some of its oomph, the detonator might have given up the ghost altogether.

We are talking here ball and tracer in 30-50 cal. Not explosive-headed cannon rounds.

Moggy
                                "What you must remember" Flip said "is that nine-tenths of Cattermole's charm lies beneath the surface." Many agreed.

Comment

• James D
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Oct 2003

The powder used on the Iowa class battleships into the 1990s was manufactured in WW2.
                                  Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

Comment

• Peter
                                    • Jan 2000

Wonder why they didnt open up and remove the ammo leaving the cans inside the wing.. guess we will enver know..
                                    Cheers,Peter

Comment

• James D
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • Oct 2003

Wonder why they didnt open up and remove the ammo leaving the cans inside the wing.. guess we will enver know..
                                      Convenience, Id guess.
                                      Have YOU used the "Will it be at Legends" joke yet today?

Comment

• Peter
                                        • Jan 2000

True.. it looks like they have been careful top properly open up wing access panels for the ammo.maybe a good sign for her final recovery?
                                        Cheers,Peter

Comment

• D1566
                                          Needs retiring.
                                          • Apr 2006

Somethinig handy to carry it in?
                                          Martin

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X