Aircraft wrecks in the sea

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi all

I am a scuba diver with an interest in aviation and was wondering if anyone has details of aircraft wreck sites that may be diveable in the uk.

I have heard of a few and would like to receive details of more.

Also, does anyone know the serial number and history of the Sea Vixen that has been sunk in Portland Harbour for some considerable time?

Many thanks

Ken aka Mutley5030

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

RE: Aircraft wrecks in the sea

This could be Sea Vixen FAW2 Tail No XS 581 (893 Squadron Fleet Air Arm)which crashed at night on 17 MAR 1966 killing both crew members.

PETER E HAMLIN

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the info Peter. However, I am under the impression that this particular aircraft was sunk for training purposes rather than as a result of a crash.

Regards

Ken

Member for

24 years 3 months

That's unusual Ken, because aircraft disposal even for 'bent' airframes was usually through MOD.Why would a Sea Vixen be deliberately dumped in the sea for 'training'unless the RN were using it for their own divers? Twenty SVs crashed between 1966 and 1973 so unless it went down earlier, then XS 581 was the only crash in the Portland area that I know of.

PETER E HAMLIN

Member for

24 years 3 months

Thanks for the info. I have been taking mine from a web site that deals with diving in Portland Harbour so maybe it was one that was sunk to train Navy divers. I think that I will have to ask in the Portland area dive shops and dive it myself.

Many thanks

Ken

Member for

24 years 3 months

Surely an airframe to be sunk would have been a time expired FAW1, not a brand new FAW2?

Member for

24 years 3 months

Hi Ken...

Looking for a dive buddy? I PADI advanced and would love to dive a/c in the channel.

Cheers

Elliott