BCWM's Jaguar GR.1 Roll-Out

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 4 months

The Bentwaters Cold War Museum's Jaguar GR.1 XX741 was rolled-out today after restoration and will be put on display outside the museum by next weekend (the museum is open on the Bank Holiday Sunday & Monday)
It looks immaculate, a credit to the restoration team.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

18 years 2 months

WOW! That looks amazing!

Member for

24 years 2 months

That looks fantastic guys, well done!

Member for

15 years 7 months

Seems a shame to leave it outdoors.

Member for

24 years 2 months

It does look amazing! However, is there a shortage of Jetpipes/reheat units as it just doesn't look right at the back. It seems daft to go to all that trouble yet not bother with a major component.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Jetpipes/reheat modules are integral with the engine so the only way to mount them would be to install the complete engine unit

Member for

14 years

Indeed, especially after all of the work which has been done on it.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Jetpipes/reheat modules are integral with the engine so the only way to mount them would be to install the complete engine unit

Ah I see! Forgive my ignorance. What a shame. Lets hope they can fit some expired units at some point!

Great job anyhow!

Member for

17 years 5 months

You could get round that no problem, simply make up a frame, cannot ever remember putting a pin in the chute with a flag on it, on the hook yes, but not the chute... Looking good.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Who said anything about it being left outdoors?

Member for

14 years 4 months

However, is there a shortage of Jetpipes/reheat units as it just doesn't look right at the back. It seems daft to go to all that trouble yet not bother with a major component.

Daft ?????? , its not a case of not bothering with the engines, if any are sourced they can be fitted at a later date. I will tell the lads who were working on the Jag over winter freezing their butts off in a un-heated hanger they should'nt have bothered as its daft !!.

Member for

13 years

brewerybod, that looks superb and many thanks to all who froze their nether regions of to produce that, you should all be very proud of yourselves!

Member for

14 years

It certainly looks as all the effort has been worthwhile, how complete is the cockpit ?

I seem to remember that the other Jaguars on the airfield are also without their engines.
I wonder why they were removed , are they in storage at Bentwaters or were they sold off separately ??

Do the Phantom and Jaguar both have roofs over their heads ?

Member for

18 years 6 months

Cockpit is 90% complete and she is electrically live.
Yes, both are under cover at present but the Jaguar will be towed outside when the museum is open.

Graham

It certainly looks as all the effort has been worthwhile, how complete is the cockpit ?

Do the Phantom and Jaguar both have roofs over their heads ?

Member for

20 years 10 months

I seem to remember that the other Jaguars on the airfield are also without their engines.
I wonder why they were removed , are they in storage at Bentwaters or were they sold off separately ??

A lot were sold off separately. There is value in them due to all the Hawk operators around the world.

Member for

11 years 9 months

The Bentwaters Cold War Museum's Jaguar GR.1 XX741 was rolled-out today after restoration and will be put on display outside the museum by next weekend (the museum is open on the Bank Holiday Sunday & Monday)
It looks immaculate, a credit to the restoration team.

My Dad used to be a civilian worker there until the base closed and made things in the control tower he worked for a company called PSA ? he still has his security passes may bring him along on Monday. what time are you opening ?

Member for

14 years 4 months

My Dad used to be a civilian worker there until the base closed and made things in the control tower he worked for a company called PSA ? he still has his security passes may bring him along on Monday. what time are you opening ?

Chris, We have a small display about the PSA (Property Services Agency) inside the museum. On Monday we open at 10am and close at 4pm.

Member for

17 years 3 months

You could get round that no problem, simply make up a frame, cannot ever remember putting a pin in the chute with a flag on it, on the hook yes, but not the chute... Looking good.

Jags had TWO different types of brake chute housings. One was the "pointy" cone shaped one (as pictured), which came out along with the chute. The other was a hinged (downwards), much "stubbier" and "flatter" cover which DID have a pin (in the port side) to prevent the spring loaded chute door from opening inadvertently.

Member for

17 years 5 months

Jags had TWO different types of brake chute housings. One was the "pointy" cone shaped one (as pictured), which came out along with the chute. The other was a hinged (downwards), much "stubbier" and "flatter" cover which DID have a pin (in the port side) to prevent the spring loaded chute door from opening inadvertently.

Yup I know, thats why I couldn't understand the pin being in.. the only pin the early one had held the can in, well most of the time, had seen the complete can deploy and drop onto the runway before, indeed the trailing edge of the port stabilator has a hole in it for stowing the pin while you pop the can in.

:)

You know what's it missing though, an Aircraft Armed plate on the steps.... She does look good though, even for a ****ty six machine :D