BCWM's Jaguar GR.1 Roll-Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HaveQuick2 View Post
    Jags had TWO different types of brake chute housings. One was the "pointy" cone shaped one (as pictured), which came out along with the chute. The other was a hinged (downwards), much "stubbier" and "flatter" cover which DID have a pin (in the port side) to prevent the spring loaded chute door from opening inadvertently.
    Yup I know, thats why I couldn't understand the pin being in.. the only pin the early one had held the can in, well most of the time, had seen the complete can deploy and drop onto the runway before, indeed the trailing edge of the port stabilator has a hole in it for stowing the pin while you pop the can in.

You know what's it missing though, an Aircraft Armed plate on the steps.... She does look good though, even for a ****ty six machine

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
      She does look good though, even for a ****ty six machine
      Agree with that (41F)
      HQ2 out

Comment

Originally posted by brewerybod View Post
        Daft ?????? , its not a case of not bothering with the engines, if any are sourced they can be fitted at a later date. I will tell the lads who were working on the Jag over winter freezing their butts off in a un-heated hanger they should'nt have bothered as its daft !!.
        If you had cared to read my other post, once it had been explained to me that the jet engine, jetpipe and reheat are integral and possibly hard to get hold of, I repeated what a good job it all is. I wasn't aware that the reheat section couldn't be fitted without everything else but now I am.

Thank you.

Comment

I think it looks d-a-m-n spiffing - the Jaguar was always one of my favourite fast jets - had the air of a sports car when compared to other jets of the era...
          Under my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...

行雲流水

Warbirdskies Blog

Comment

Hi All,
            brewerybod pass on my congratulations to all the team involved in an excellent restoration, all you need now is ' Michael Rondot ' to give you a promotional painting and issue prints, signed by the Aircrafts crew who flew her through her service life if that's possible it's good way to make cash for the engines.

Geoff.

Comment

I think it looks d-a-m-n spiffing - the Jaguar was always one of my favourite fast jets - had the air of a sports car when compared to other jets of the era...
              That'll be the MG Metro then, a car dressed up as a sports car but not that fast

Agree with that (41F)
              We all have our crosses to bear..
              ( 20 Sqn and 14 Sqn Jags.)
              Last edited by TonyT; 19th August 2013, 22:56.

Comment

The BCWM guys have done wonders in restoring this frame to its external, cockpit and electrical condition. They have been logical in their planning of the project, working to their strenghs. The next stage is hopefully to get some of the hydraulic systems operational via the electro hydraulic pump, a task made easier that the generation system for the number two hydraulics is largely intact. Graham has got myself and another ex Jaguar rigger involved, so hopefully some progress can be made to getting tail controls and airbrakes moving with the EHP. Unfortunately the wing sold to BCWM was not from XX741 and had been robbed completely, sometime before that is likely to Spoilers/Flaps/Slats moving. As for engines, if you could get 106s, they will not fit.. Its 102/104s only.
                BCWM Jaguar GR1A XX741 restoration

Comment

You sure the 106 won't fit?

Comment

To all those involved in this project well done. Its great to see the aircraft in camo rather that the all over grey scheme of more recent years. I look forward to coming to see it.

Comment

Having lived within a few short miles of RAF Coltishall all my life the Jaguar is very close to my heart, and its good to see one so beautifully restored. Well done to all involved.
                      Work! You don't know what work is. When I was a boy...

Comment

You sure the 106 won't fit?
                        106 powered aircraft went to St Athan for modification, that included changes to the air conditioning system and of course the engine control system (well the protection fuel control subsystems, the 106 wasn't a FADEC powerplant.) I always thought modifications were made to the airframe mounts for the 106 too (however I never saw all what Saints did). BCWM hope if possible to get her as a ground runner.. Aircraft is a GR1A so only 102s and 104s will do in the end.
                        Last edited by Canopener Al; 10th December 2013, 20:56.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3084.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	326.6 KB
ID:	3649949

Saw this in XX741 and smiled.. Rudder bay is similar..

Comment

Yup I know, thats why I couldn't understand the pin being in.. the only pin the early one had held the can in, well most of the time, had seen the complete can deploy and drop onto the runway before, indeed the trailing edge of the port stabilator has a hole in it for stowing the pin while you pop the can in.

You know what's it missing though, an Aircraft Armed plate on the steps.... She does look good though, even for a ****ty six machine
                            The chute inside is a post mod 1148 chute (yes the one for the sprung loaded door). The pin flag is for the wire that is holdling closed the sprung drogue used to extract the chute (pre mod chutes used the cone AKA noddy cap to do that). The post mod fairing was also pinned on the ground as it moved with head splitting speed and force, when the chute handle was pulled.

The hook and chute teleflexs haven't been connected yet.. One of my next jobs..

Comment

Well done for saving the a/c and looking after her... always had a soft spot for Jaguars...
                              pb::

Comment

XX741 is progressing well on phase two of the project. The hydraulic systems have been the major focus of restoration during this winter with Harry and I helping out. Multiple pipelines and components have been refitted in the correct positions. Several major components still need sourcing, Spoiler PFCUs, Roll Dampers, Slat and Flap motor/brake (Control) units, some of the pipes for the later (+ the 8 fuselage to wing pipes) and rear door jacks for the main gear doors. However we have managed to source pressure blanking solutions for the open lines and as from Sunday number one system was filled with Fluid 41 (Civvy OM15) and was pressure tested by the hand pump with minimal leaks. Number two is awaiting a delivery of some more fluid, the charging of the PMV and main/brake accumulators with nitrogen, pressure testing first by the hand pump and ensuring that the rams and surfaces of all jacks driven surfaces are clear to move. With that the functional EHP can be used to demonstrate the rear control surfaces, the air brakes and with the bleeding of the brake lines for the emergency/parking circuits, a functional brake system.

Hopefully this will be complete before the aircraft is towed out for the season.

Of even greater interest is the embryonic possibility that 104s may be able to be sourced. However that is way in the future if it happens.

One thing we have found out is that the spine was not fitted with the centre Teleflex cables when it was finally installed by the team, not obvious. Finding such will be difficult.
                                Last edited by Canopener Al; 19th March 2014, 09:48.

Comment

Nice update, I saw on another forum that you hoped to source and install engines in the old girl! I take it there's no chance of sourcing the missing parts form the many jags at Bentwaters?
                                  Last edited by peppermint_jam; 19th March 2014, 23:35.
                                  "If you kick a Tiger in the ass, you'd better have a plan to deal with it's teeth!"

Comment

That is definitely our long term plan but sourcing potentially serviceable engines is still a pipe-dream at the moment. We may have a potential lead so who knows.

The Everetts have assisted us with our project to date and for that we are extremely grateful.
                                    Regards.

Graham

Originally posted by peppermint_jam View Post
                                    Nice update, I saw on another forum that you hoped to source and install engines in the old girl! I take it there's no chance of sourcing the missing parts form the many jags at Bentwaters?
                                    Last edited by ghaynes; 21st March 2014, 16:39.
                                    Graham Haynes
                                    Bentwaters Cold War Museum
                                    www.bentwaters-as.org.uk
                                    www.bcwm.org.uk

Comment

Excuse my ignorance but what the connection to SAC K Kornick, and why is his name on the aircraft?

Comment

No dedicated open day this year ?
                                        I would have thought that a good fund raiser ?
                                        Engine Failure:.... A condition which occurs when all fuel tanks mysteriously become filled with air.

Comment

Or they could bring back the Bentwaters Airshow held 3 years ago ,was told it wont be back as too expensive to hold ,but i still think it was more about a few locals moaning about the traffic and Joe Public ,that was a very very Popular Airshow in an ideal Location ,bring it back with cheaper Displays and you have a Winner !!

Comment

Working...
                                          X