East Fortune Improvements

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 4 months

Following on from some of the negative comments about East Fortune - my own included in This Thread.

It's only fair to publicise good news for East Fortune with the announcement of a multi-million pound refurbishment of some of the hangers.

STV News

"We can now work up more detailed plans for the restoration of our two Second World War hangars and their transformation into two vibrant new display spaces, worthy of our internationally significant collections.

"The work will ensure that the National Museum of Flight remains one of the major aviation museums in Europe."

Colin McLean, head of the Heritage Lottery Fund in Scotland, said: "These iconic WWII hangers are at risk of being lost.

"Their restoration will not only ensure their long-term survival but will transform the exhibitions within them with new contemporary interpretation and displays. We are delighted to give our initial support to a project which is set to make the National Museum of Flight even more popular with visitors who are keen to explore Scotland’s fascinating aviation history."

Lets hope that this brings back new interpretations of some of the displays we used to enjoy.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Much as I love the sight -it needs a significant input of money for a large 'superhangar' to house the likes of the Vulcan and Comet. For a museum that represents Scottish aviation history it could do far better . Deals should be done to get things like a Single Pioneer , Canadair Sabre and Shackleton in the collection and dispose of some of the random machines that would be better placed with other museums.

Member for

24 years 2 months

.......dispose of some of the random machines that would be better placed with other museums.

Concorde, perhaps? :D

Member for

16 years 4 months

Much as I love the sight -it needs a significant input of money for a large 'superhangar' to house the likes of the Vulcan and Comet. For a museum that represents Scottish aviation history it could do far better.

Perhaps a modern interpretation of an airship hanger as this would be in keeping with East Fortunes pre WW2 past. The trouble as always is that they would have to buy land as well as planning and building costs.

Member for

19 years 11 months

The biggest single improvement for me would be to restore the Beaufighter

Member for

9 years 6 months

I was impressed with East Fortune the last time I was there, as I visited a lot when I was a kid. Back then it was two hangars, and the Vulcan and Comet outside, and that was about it. However the last time I went it did feel slightly cluttered, especially the fast jet hanger with the Spitfire lobbed in a corner next to a Mig 15. The restoration hanger was good to see inside, but it did look a bit like a rogues gallery. There was another hangar with the Scottish Aviation twin pioneer, and the newly acquired Nimrod fuselage section, that seemed a bit fusionless. The restored parachute hut was interesting as was the East Fortune exhibition itself, covering the WW1 airship and WW2 Beaufighter roles at the site itself.

What they really need to work on is getting the Viscount! The fuselage is indoors, but the wings are loitering up by the bins.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Meddled/L1010933_zps71a4bc32.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Meddled/L1010932_zpsee52e585.jpg

Member for

15 years 3 months

I visited about 18months ago and really enjoyed it, for me the "orderly museums" ie Hendon and Cosford, are fine, but like here where you don't know what's round the next corner, bits and pieces leaning against the back wall, makes it for me. NEAM and the MAM, are others.
The airfield itself could do with tidying up a bit, but they provide a road-train to go from hangar to hangar.

regards,
jack...

Member for

24 years 2 months

"Hangar" please chaps, coats go on hangers.