Coltishall consultation

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 11 months

Norfolk County Council have opened a consultation on what to do with the RAF base now that they have outbid the private sector for it...

Anyone interested can look on www.norfolk.co.uk/rafcoltishall or email suggestions to [email]FutureofRAFColtishall@norfolk.gov.uk[/email].

Would be nice to see some provision for GA and heritage use - or maybe even let a private company that wanted to store and maintain airliners there actually create some local employment.

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

Interesting.

The main covered with solar panels and the dispersals used as a heritage trail, presumably so we can watch exposed airframes corroding gently?

Moggy

Member for

11 years 11 months

This was my suggestion:

Thank you for inviting alternative suggestions for the future of the former RAF Coltishall site. As you know, this is a very important RAF station in terms of it having been the longest serving fighter command station, having defended the people of Norfolk through WW2 and the Cold War era.

The heritage of the site deserves to be protected. I believe that the Jaguar simulator still exists on site and this, along with the control tower, could form the basis of an excellent museum based on the history of Coltishall and the contribution Norfolk made to air defence and offence – currently often overlooked in favour of Lincolnshire where the council are working to develop their own centre at RAF Scampton.

Parts of the site could be used for agriculture and/or solar power generation – but I strongly suggest that the main runway is retained. Aside from the historical reasoning that an airbase without a runway is always incomplete, I believe that the Council could make short and long-term revenue from this facility.

Norwich Airport is increasingly busy, and the General Aviation side of the operation is gradually being squeezed out. In the county there are only two main airfields, Tibenham (devoted mostly to gliding) and Shipdham (unlicensed, trapped in a dairy farm and conflicted with Norwich ATC). Encouraging the GA operations to relocate to Coltishall, paying rent and landing fees to Norfolk County Council, would bring in a steady income.

I am also aware that the air cadet gliding facility at Watton is threatened, and the option of encouraging them to relocate to Coltishall could be investigated.

Currently a number of airliners are stored at Norwich Airport. If the NDR is built the location used for this storage will be lost. Coltishall, with a long runway and decent site security, could be a viable alternative – with the fees for the storage of these aircraft going into the Council coffers. One or more hangars could also be offered for lease by aircraft engineering companies, such as the one outbid by NCC, bringing extra income and jobs into the area. Being an isolated location, Coltishall would be ideal for this type of operation.

Investigation could also be made into whether the Norfolk and Norwich Aviation Museum could be relocated to Coltishall, as their current site is also threatened by the NDR. This would be a challenging operation due the size of some of the aircraft, but is possible as demonstrated by the removal of an airliner from Norwich to Flixton as an airborne under-slung load. Access to Coltishall would be easier and safer than reaching the current site, and would draw additional visitors into the North Walsham area, which currently has few attractions.

The runway would also be available as an emergency diversion facility for Norwich International should an incident take place.

In short, I see the runway as the most valuable asset on the site and strongly encourage Norfolk County Council to follow Lincolnshire's lead and develop a premier GA aviation centre for the County.

Member for

24 years 2 months

In the county there are only two main airfields, Tibenham (devoted mostly to gliding) and Shipdham (unlicensed, trapped in a dairy farm and conflicted with Norwich ATC).

In no way wishing to detract from the (good) points you have made there are three when you include possibly the busiest - Old Buckenham.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 3 months

Air Cadet gliding ceased at Watton in April last year. The VGS is relocating to Honington and converting to Vigilants...

I also think that the Officers' Mess should be preserved as one of the few remaining Battle of Britain messes extant. Steeped with history.

Member for

11 years 2 months

And Seething being the other one and probably busier than Shipdham.

Member for

12 years 3 months

Shipdham (unlicensed, trapped in a dairy farm and conflicted with Norwich ATC).

Trapped???? Conflicted with Norwich ATC ????
How?

Member for

24 years 2 months

You kind of have to go there. Its rather difficult to describe.

Member for

17 years 5 months

I often wonder if its safe to go back, I visited the place twice in my RAF career several years apart and the guy in the NAAFI wagon not only recognised me, he knew I owed him something like 63p from the previous visit and had it off me before he would sell me anything else, not to be outdone I departed for a second time several weeks later owing him about 74p :D

I bet the blighter is still awaiting my return :D

Member for

12 years 3 months

You kind of have to go there. Its rather difficult to describe.

Its not trapped or conflicted.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Well, entrance is through a dairy farm; I don't think we need argue over that! Its not an ideal position!

Member for

15 years 9 months

They had quite a good Airshow at Shipdham about 4 years ago ,only the one ,i wonder why only the one ? i guess its all these slip or trip people floating about making false claims for falling over ,same thing for Bentwaters,Rougham, Biggin,Lowestoft,

Member for

11 years 11 months

Oh yes, I did forget Old Buck and Seething. Rats!

Shipdham was a lovely, friendly airfield but, as Bruce says, driving down a rutted peri track, then right through a large dairy unit (last few times complete with liquid cattle slurry all over the track) is not really a great access route.

The airfield sits directly beside the approach for Norwich and last time I was there (and saw anybody to talk to) they were concerned about the effects of the controlled airspace proposal. If that has been solved, fantastic. Sadly I can't say as out of the last three times I attempted to visit the airfield it was closed twice (and on the third I was verbally attacked by someone "in case I was a thief" - who then walked away (actually stormed off while I was still replying) once he found that I was not leading me to assume that it was no longer open to the public).

Member for

24 years 2 months

The concern at Shipdham has always been the state of the runways. It takes some nerve to risk a £9,000 prop on the very frangible surface there.

Bourn is headed that way too.

Moggy

Member for

15 years 6 months

Shipdham

Several things:

1. Access is not necessarily through the dairy farm - I turn right and then go down the runway side. No problem.

2. Access - the fear is travellers. The gate is locked to prevent them and to keep the farmer happy. If we are operating then ring the number on the website - we'll come and let you in

3. Surface. The main part of the runway has been resurfaced and is smoother than most you find.

4. Airspace is not a problem - we are outside Norwich zone even after the massive (and unnecessary) airspace grab. Not sure what conflicts you are mentioning.

5. Aggressive locals - unsure who that may be, most of the people seem OK. I've had equally hostile receptions at various airfields. You have to speak as you find................

hopefully this sets the record straight.

Fly in for a visit. We don't bite, honest.................... Circuits to the North side please

Arc

Member for

24 years 2 months

3. Surface. The main part of the runway has been resurfaced and is smoother than most you find.

That's information I didn't know. I'll take a drive up one day and have a look.

Oddly, in 25 years of flying I have never had Shipdham in my logbook.

Moggy

Member for

12 years 3 months

Shipdham also has two grass strips.

Member for

11 years 11 months

In the past I always found it a very welcoming airfield (and the resurfaced main was smooth as a baby's posterior). I'm glad to hear that the impression I gained last year may have been a false one - but I'm sure that you can see where it came from.

If there still any gliding going on, as there seemed to be a slight lack of them when I was last there and the gliding site seems to have gone (although that may just be me)?

Member for

18 years 2 months

Ok that's Shipdam sorted, what about Colt?

Member for

11 years 11 months

Norfolk CC have replied that they are still totally open to suggestions - so the runway may not be lost if enough interest is expressed. One can only hope, anyway.