Picture of the day (2) 14/01/02

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 2 months

Just found this tonight whilst doing some slide sorting, goes back to a discusion late last year when we were talking about various K5054 reps. Is this the Spitfire society or the Clive du Cross version ?
Attachments:
http://www.keypublishing.com/forum/importedfiles/3c43551d9a038393.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 2 months

RE: Picture of the day (2) 14/01/02

Nice

When push comes to shove, don't stand near a cliff

Member for

24 years 2 months

I think it's the Spitfire Society replica...I know it's a Duxford shot...taken at what I'm presuming to be the Spitfire Anniversary Show in May 1996...I seem to remember the Society bringing their replica up for the show...if I'm right that's the Booker Mark I Spit next to her...wasn't the intention to get as many marks of Spitfire on the flight line as possible in order of mark starting with the replica and ending with a MK XIX...I think some hoped that the IWM would pull their MK XXIV out but it's not as easy to pull the static aircraft out of the big hangers at Duxford as some of you might think!

Ashley, Duxford Correspondent

Member for

24 years 2 months

The Mk.24 VN485 was there at the show if I remember rightly,although at the time it was not in the IWM's ownership.I think it was part of the RAF's Exhibition Flight.
To confirm,yes this is the Spitfire society's replica,and she is now on show at Tangmere in West Sussex.The Clive Du Cros example was painted silver and also had a polished metal spinner and a variable pitch prop rather than the one piece wooden one seen here.

Member for

24 years 2 months

Hmmmm...I'll have to check my sources on that one Ant...but I can tell you that the IWM Spitfire is on permanent loan from the Royal Hong Kong Airforce and has been since she arrived in this country.