Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

Nice! That's a lot of engineering attached to a tiny little grip!

Member for

13 years 3 months

V7289 Hurricane

I know it isn't a stick, but to go with post 10#
Here is the most amazing bit of provenance.
(and I know you are interested)
Guy

Attachments

Member for

19 years 3 months

Some lovely grips there chaps. Delighted to see one of my plastic 109 grips being put to such a good use Ian.

Grips against posters is good....but a Hurri against a Spitfire!!!
The Lightnings are cool.....

Member for

15 years 5 months

Grips

Ian

I have had the poster a long time now, i bought it at Tangmere aerojumble. The column i got about five or six years ago, it was an absolute steal on ebay. I don`t collect American gear but i do like your P38 grip.

Tony
I take your point but i don`t have an early Spit grip/column to put in front of the Spit poster or a Hurricane poster to put behind the Hurricane column so you see my problem.

A couple more pictures for you. Sorry about the quality, i`m shocking at taking photo`s.

Spitfire, Typhoon, Typhoon relic (the covering was completely missing on this so i had a go at doing it myself).
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/marmster1/DSC013341_zps0411961b.jpg

Later Hurricane grip.
http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab130/marmster1/DSC013371_zps57b5c693.jpg

Hope you like them :)

Member for

19 years 3 months

Totally understood Bananasplits old chap, the poster is cool anyways. Very nice balanced spadey collection you have there.

Member for

13 years 2 months

Things go from flippin good to even better!

Tony T, thanks for the info re. your B8A grip, the 53C 4017 matches the grip on my F86D/K column and the style of buttons would indicate a mid sixties time period, my F86E/F grip/column though, has the number 50C 4064 as does an F100 Super Sabre grip I have in my collection too. However, good possibility of it hailing from the NA stable though! (The style of buttons will usually give the relative age of the grip).

Ian, I am ever so slightly (intensely) jealous of your P38 yoke, I narrowly missed one on e-bay a few years ago, I ran out of bidding power (money), some things are meant to be I suppose!

However, (Fmk6) John your collection of Lightning grips is awesome! I thought I was doing well with two Lightning grips! Can you expand a little more on the two rather (extremely) banana shaped grips on the right of your picture?

I am also mega impressed by the 'Spadey' brigade, sadly a huge void in my collection however, this virtual collection makes up for it, brilliant chaps!!

I almost forgot, I've been up in the loft and dug these out for display, from Russia with love!

Mig 25, Su 24, Mig 21, Yak 28 and L29 (this last one, top left in picture, was sold to me as a Mig 15/17 but I believe it to be from a 'Delfin' due to the style of the (thumb) push button).

Martyn

GYD

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Re. my last post!
Turn the picture round 90 degrees anti-clockwise to read 'top left' !!

GYD

Member for

19 years 3 months

Cracking collection of Russian grips GYD!

My Mig17 looks like your top left.
I too am very jealous of Ian's P38 column....
I am impressed by FMK's Lightning grips.....esp rare ones on right!

These are my mirror ones:

Attachments

Member for

18 years 2 months

Thank you for the compliments on my grip collection gents, it's taken a while to pull together but worth it in the end:D, a little more info on the 'banana' style grips.....

This one was fitted to the DB (development batch) of aircraft and the three P.1B's making it quite rare as only 23 of these airframes were built, it has a single four way trimmer hat. gun cam and PTT buttons and also autopilot and 'feel' switches.....

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/fmk6john/photo2-1_zps21c3906e.jpg

This 'ergonomics' grip was an existing removed from an airframe and modified in house at Warton, it dispensed with the autopilot/feel switches and had in place mock ups of the new locations for autopilot and a two pole trimmer arrangement, this clearly shows the development for the later F.1/F.6 grip that went on to the production aircraft......

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i226/fmk6john/photo1_zps06198b83.jpg

Imcidentally these grips according to the data plates are 'sisters' on the production run having consecutive numbers.

Nice pair of grips Rocketeer and the P38 yoke look purposeful, keep em coming gents.

Regards,

John.

Member for

15 years 3 months

A group of German WWII stick grips (knüppelgriff [KG]). Variants of the main three models used throughout the war in fighter and attack airplanes are shown; namely, KG12, KG13 and KG14. These examples were "captured" by U.S. servicemen during or following the war. Such souvenirs were popular, and a good number retuned home. Many still exist, now mostly with collectors.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Love your Kg sticks sfp54, a valuable collection. Not really my area but is first left, second photo Hs129? The Lightning grips are all objects of desire. There will be a mis listing one day! Impressive selection of spade grips Banasplits, what a variety of additional buttons. Is there any more history with the Typhoon example beyond Kent? The P38 was lucky, listed in the States as 'warbird grip' and although more than I'd usually spend was cheap. I've never been so glad to see a customs bill as when it arrived. Liking your Russian stuff Martyn, there's a Mig 25 grip around at the moment but too much. The Luftwaffe lineage is pretty clear there. That's pretty conclusive Hurricane provenance Guy, even better than the Kenley labels with the details pencilled on the back! A very informative thread.

Member for

16 years 11 months

Here are a couple more:

Attachments

Member for

15 years 3 months

Hi Ian,

The left-most grip in the middle photo is a KG 14. It was used in the Fw190 (early A models, later replaced by the KG13B, 13C), Hs129 (throughout I believe), and Me210/410 (along with the KG13). Was not liked by 190 pilots - the weapon-mix selection lever was its undoing.

Steve

p.s., nice grips you have there!

Love your Kg sticks sfp54, a valuable collection. Not really my area but is first left, second photo Hs129? The Lightning grips are all objects of desire. There will be a mis listing one day! Impressive selection of spade grips Banasplits, what a variety of additional buttons. Is there any more history with the Typhoon example beyond Kent? The P38 was lucky, listed in the States as 'warbird grip' and although more than I'd usually spend was cheap. I've never been so glad to see a customs bill as when it arrived. Liking your Russian stuff Martyn, there's a Mig 25 grip around at the moment but too much. The Luftwaffe lineage is pretty clear there. That's pretty conclusive Hurricane provenance Guy, even better than the Kenley labels with the details pencilled on the back! A very informative thread.

Member for

15 years 8 months

I have a grip/stick from Harrier T.4/N XW268, not sure who mounted it but it must have been someone who knew the earlier RAF history of the aircraft, her last years were with the RN, the badges are 1 (F) squadron and 233 OCU.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/milorgman/HarrierGripandplanes-1_zpscf1f08b1.jpg
I'd like to get a Spitfire MkV grip if someone wants to trade?

The other grip I have is an unused RAAF Pilatus PC-9 grip mounted with an unused PC-9 data plate.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/milorgman/RAAFPC-9grip-1_zps8234ff6d.jpg

Great thread and grips!

cheers,

-John

Member for

19 years 3 months

Cracking selection there chaps - do like your KG's SFP/Steve! I thought I had a few - but not 12!!!

Member for

13 years 2 months

I echo what Rocketeer says, fantastic display chaps and what a nice pair of Lightning grips too. I must say, a right hand ‘Tub’ grip is certainly on my Christmas wish list to Santa!.
(FMK6) John, those two ‘special’ grips are indeed extremely rare and indeed unique, brilliant.
SFP54 that is an impressive and most interesting collection of German grips thank you for sharing them with us, it is interesting to see the minor changes in design.
Nice to see a Harrier appear too Flightpath, probably the most bizarre design as far as grips go but, strangely comfortable when you actually hold it!
Ian, question regarding your F4 column, does the trigger have only one indent position rather than the normal two position of B8’s? I have a similar grip in my collection and have been stumped to its application so far. I didn’t think it was from a ‘Toomb’ because the lower switch has been purposely blanked off. Do you know mark of F4 it’s from?

My next offering is what I believe to be a DH Venom NF3. I purchased it from a well known auction site a few years ago, it was said to have come from a ‘crash’ site in the Peak District. It was recovered by the vendor’s son back in the mid to late 70’s. Having scoured all the various sources regarding such crashes no DH aircraft matched the profile. It is an AC10522 grip fitted to a De Havilland column but has no real signs of ‘crash damage. The only aircraft, (putting 2 and 2 together again) was of Venom NF3 WX932 which was once owned by an ATC Squadron in Matlock, Derbyshire. Its fate apparently, after slow deterioration and vandalism was to be dumped in a quarry, in the Peak District! If anyone can help or has any other info regarding 932’s fate, it would be much appreciated.

Martyn

GYD

Attachments

Member for

19 years 10 months

These were posted on a control column thread some months back, so I hope you don't mind me re posting to add some international cold war flavour.

Here is some cannon fodder for the BAC Lightning grips.

The first is the TU95 Bear and the second is the TU16 Badger.

Member for

19 years 3 months

GYD, I used to have a rear stick Toom stick (lots of UK F4s cam with rear stick prior to conversion) and the bottom button was blanked off.

Keeping with FlyB's cold war theme, I love B52 yokes

Just been watching that drivel Pearl Harbor film....never knew the P40 had a Dunlop AC10522 Meteor/Venom/Balliol grip!!!!

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

More nice stuff. Fly.Buy, was that hand luggage from a Soviet holiday? Don't see much of it over here!
Martyn, the grip is supposedly FG1, with a blanked of button due to the lack of nose wheel steering. It came with the knurled attachment ring, the base being bought separately in a job lot of books. The vendor was ex services and thought it was removed from Black Mike during an upgrade. It does have a single position trigger but I think the F4 give away is the lack of wrist rest on the side.
On a smaller scale the button is from Spit BM540, flown by 303 Sqn with some success before being given to the Yanks so they could join in with the war. The pilot abandoned it over Salisbury Plain and it is obvious from the condition just how hard it hit the chalk! The photo popped up in an Osprey book of Polish Aces, BM540 being closest the camera.

Attachments

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hi Ian,

That's interesting to know it being from a FG1, my grip has a letter 'M' crudely carved on the back could this refer to F4M, I wonder, barking up the wrong tree???
I have added a picture of my two Phantom grips and the one similar to yours anyway (a back seater too, especially for Tony D).
However you are right regarding the lack of wrist support on the F4's, the only other B8 grip I have that does not have a wrist support is an F15A/C Eagle, this differs in that all three function switches are totally different and the pins on the connector are completely different to a standard 17 pin B8, much more of them and smaller in size.

All good stuff!

Martyn

GYD

Attachments