Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 2 months

As threatened.....a post for you to post pix of your fav grip etc!

Original post

Member for

17 years 5 months

I do not have a pic of it, in fact I do not have it either, many moons ago a Jaguar Hotas set up appeared on eBay.
When the RAF got the TIALD pod for the Jag they lacked the means to teach simply and cheaply a way to use it, they contacted DID a game maker that did F22 and they brought out some software to simulate a Jags TIALD display on a PC, to this an original Jag side controller and stick top were mounted on a metal columns that allowed it to work as in the aircraft, this was all wired up and connected to the PC. So you could fly it like a real aircraft using genuine controls, the wiring in the base had been cut but was complete so I could have reconnected everything and used it on flight sims etc and keep it as a historical survivor, There wasn't many built, enough for each squadron etc.
Sadly the bidding got up to about 120 and for some reason I bottled out, it going for 130..... I have rued that day ever since, I had the money and would have / should have gone higher, and despite looking have never seen another one..:(

Member for

13 years 1 month

I would like to start off with this little baby! (see pics). I have had this column for a number of years initially thinking it was from an F4D because of the grip, (you can only see the grip on most pictures of the Skyray and I put 2 and 2 together unfortunately, in this case making 5, school boy error)!! Its non F4D provenance becoming apparent when I purchased a correct F4D stick - see the P51 grip post.

I have however, seen a picture of this column fitted to a 'special' U.S. Navy Silver Star but, alas I can't find the picture now! (the picture was on the brilliant but now seemingly defunct US Cockpits.com).

If anyone can offer any other ideas, much obliged.

Martyn

GYD

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

I feel your pain Tony, my ebay watched history is a catalogue of things which could have been. That said, I can eat, pay the mortgage and haven't been thrown into debtor's prison so it was probably for the best. Did a swap to get this Jag grip which cheers me. interesting ergonomics, lots of buttons and now, regrettably, 'historic'.
I've also got no idea with your second grip, Martyn. Your F4D stick was a surprise, the handle looking long even without being extended. Douglas really boxed it in in the cockpit. I can see why you were confused!
The F4D cockpit shot shows the same trim hat as my Maybad Electric grip, hence I hoped it might be. It's a bit of a guess but sufficient to start on my Airfix Skyray to sit next to it. Keep them coming!

Attachments

Member for

17 years 5 months

Think that's the GR3 stick top? The one is was after was a GR1 which I worked on...

I have a couple,

Tonka back seater
Hawk throttle mock up
Sabre supposedly
Wessex x2 p1 and a p2

Member for

19 years 2 months

The Jag GR1/T2 is a fun grip.....I bought one from Bygone Times for £20 in 1987....sadly had to sell it in 2003 (D word). Got another in 2004 which is nice.
I do like your Silver Star stick GYD; you can see its Stang heritage! It has the base of a T33 and P51 but with a kink in the tube.
Ian, nice grips - 2 I do not have.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes, GR3 Tony. They were fitting them at St Athan when I took a school party. Had to ask what was happening to the old stick tops after they had been replaced but none came my way, unsurprisingly. There are a couple of lumps of Jag still decorating my classroom though including a big titanium shield they very kindly passed on.
I bought this grip as Jag, the vendor saying he worked on them. He later sold me the column which he claimed it came with. The overall shape, and particularly the knuckle don't look Jag at all and in a previous post here it was decided as Mirage III. Slightly disappointing but does mean my 'Falklands' collection is coming together.

Attachments

Member for

12 years 11 months

Chaps,

Do get a grip.

Member for

16 years 10 months

:)

Member for

13 years 2 months

Hurricane 303 Squadron, flown by Joseph Frantisek

Here is mine

V7289 Hurricane crashed Blundel lane Stoke D'abernon 27-9-1940.
I watched it being dug up in 1977.

F/O W. Zak baled out at 30,000 ft.
Aircraft was flown on a few sorties during the BOB by Joseph Frantisek.
This was recently on display/loaned to the 303 sqdn exhibition in the RAFM.

If things can be special, this is a special thing.
Guy

Attachments

Member for

19 years 1 month

I liked the workmanship on this stick top :) - in a 1928 American Eagle Biplane...sorry about the pic quality,but was taken a long time ago at this museum...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=american%20eagle%20biplane&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&ved=0CFIQFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wingsofhistory.org%2Findex.php%2Fexhibits%2F97%3FphpMyAdmin%3D126eb28524937d04112be248fa557346&ei=PYz5UOC_NpHY0QWhxYHwDg&usg=AFQjCNEFKJd0IZ0QmYIOMxKW78_MH3AIQA&bvm=bv.41248874,d.d2k

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/img042-1.jpg

Member for

16 years 5 months

Posted by me before but i'm feeling left out :D. My AC1400, reconditioned in 1969 at RNAW Perth (Royal Naval Aircraft Workshop) in Scotland, so good as new. It also came with the tags to support this.
I know its a generic type but it was also fitted to early turboprop Wyvern's, so i just had to have one :).

Rob

Attachments

Member for

19 years 1 month

Took me a while to find my pic of the American Eagle which the above sticktop belongs to ...:)

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/img041.jpg

Member for

16 years 10 months

That really is a special thing Biggles, a lovely assemblage! The Tuck signature does it no harm at all either. The American Eagle looks very streamlined for 1928, another one I've never heard of. Nice Wyvern stick Rob, the beauty of the 'standard' types is that it could be from whichever you fancy.Have you ever seen a column to go with it?

Member for

19 years 1 month

Sorry Ian - I posted the wrong pic LOL...that is a Waco 10 :)
I will post the correct pic later !

rgds baz

Member for

19 years 2 months

Now that is a beaut 266! I love spade grips, particularly those from hurris on them!

I will post some pix of my favourite grip....daresay it will be a spadey!!

Member for

19 years 1 month

Sorry guys...here is the 1928 American Eagle :o

it is captioned as ...

Wings of History Museum,San Martin ,CA - 20/9/97
With OXX6 engine (XX = Dual Mag ?)

Sorry about pic quality...it is a superb little museum but cramped for taking pics LOL

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/img006.jpg

Member for

16 years 5 months

Nice Wyvern stick Rob, the beauty of the 'standard' types is that it could be from whichever you fancy.Have you ever seen a column to go with it?

Sadly not Ian. My other Wyvern related 'top' is this AC10300 which replaced the AC1400 in service. A much better grip in my opinion as everything falls to hand better.
In not quite the same sparkling condition, but that was reflected in the purchase price, so no complaints :)

Incidentally i'm still looking for a Dunlop AH8763 27J/249 grip if anyone has one?

Rob

Attachments

Member for

19 years 2 months

Well, here is my fav spadey....it came from a Hurri written off in 1938 by a sqn pilot. It was a heavy landing. It is actually the best Hurri Mk1 I have ever seen and is frozen in time on the day it was removed. Interestingly, the grip was painted silver. I had not seen that before - I had assumed they were all natural grey anodize, but it would appear at least some were silver grey paint. The column is silver gray too. The gun tube connectors were kept from falling off by bits if paper.

Attachments

Member for

16 years 10 months

Now that really is lovely! I had a much mankier AC10300 but caved in, sanded it down and resprayed it. Came out all right and it wasn't exactly touching up the Mona Lisa. (or should that be re touching:))

Member for

13 years 1 month

Corr blimey!

there are some corking examples and very interesting grips coming out, I too particularly like the ones with a bit of history associated, especially Hurricanes! I must get up into the loft and drag some more of my goodies out of hibernation!

Ian, regarding your Jag/Mirage column, I noticed that the grip had a 'diamond' pattern on the sides of the grip, this would to me at least, indicate a Mirage as far as I am aware the Jag's were plain; well the Jag grip I have is and all the pictures I've seen (at least RAF ones) are plain too. However, I am of course open to all forms of ridicule and correction!!

On to my next though, thought I'd post a yoke this time and probably the scarcest of the Canberra family - collecting wise at least, the PR9.

Martyn

GYD

Attachments