Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still looking to purchase a Lockheed Constellation control wheel / yoke in any condition. Have items for trade also!

Comment

Hi 94thAero:

You'll find what you're looking for here:

https://www.oncealoft.com/control-wh...lumns-for-sale

but they're not cheap. Specifically what wheels do you have to trade?

Comment

I have been to that site many times and have exchanged emails with Nick many times. He has some nice stuff and I have bought some minor items from him but I can't afford the wheels that I need. I have the following for trade. Capt and F/O B-767 wheels and center console panel, Lockheed JetStar wheel, A-10 control grip, F-102 control grips, real DC-8 wheel cap, real Constellation wheel cap.... possibly other items.

I have an original Constellation wheel cap and the switches for a Constellation wheel so I really could use a Constellation wheel that I can restore or a restored one would be OK.
        Last edited by Hatinthering; 3rd November 2017, 05:26.

Comment

HatintheRing: Do you care if the wheel is from a Connie or a P2V-7? The casual observer won't know the difference. See post #753 of this thread for an explanation of the differences.

Comment

It's Russian, but any ideas what this may be from?

Comment

Pic
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd say a Yak, I have one similar but heavier construction that is Yak 11
                Tony Dyer
                https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Russian stuff does lack finesse! PM sent, Swifter.

Comment

Thanks for the possible I'd Rocketeer. Yep Ian there's no finesse with Russian stuff, they just do exactly what it says on the tin.

For those with a B47 control yoke have you seen the hub cap on eBay as a buy it now?! I believe that these are rarer than the yoke itself !

Comment

"For those with a B47 control yoke have you seen the hub cap on eBay as a buy it now?! I believe that these are rarer than the yoke itself !"

I have followed control wheel and cap offers/sales on Ebay for a long time. I can make the following fact based statements: From 2005-2017 at least 22 B-47 caps of four different types have shown up. From 2013-2017, five B-47 wheels have been offered, four of which sold, three to members of this forum. I saw no offerings of B47 wheels from 2005-2012. Anecdotally, it seems the wheels are far less common than the caps.
                      Last edited by Swifter; 16th November 2017, 20:05.

Comment

Hi all, I have used this thread several times to identify various grips that I have acquired, thanks again to all of you that helped.
                        Just a thought, would it be useful if a list of Manufactures AC numbers was made along with the corresponding aircraft that they were fitted to.
                        I know it would be very useful to less knowledgeable people such as myself.

Comment

Hi all:

Thought I had posted some photos of this earlier, but apparently not. A while back I bought a rather ratty (but salvageable) wheel cap for a B-29 bomber. Decided to do an inverse restoration on it. Here are the before shots:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3077.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	794.4 KB
ID:	3677615 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3085.JPG
Size:	794.0 KB
ID:	3677616 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3082.JPG
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	3677617

Comment

And the after shots:

Name:	DSCN3120.JPG
Size:	796.4 KB
ID:	3677618 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3119.JPG
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	3677619

Now I just need another wheel....yikes!

Comment

Good work there Swifter, nice restoration job. There seems to be so many good copies of hub caps out there right now it's difficult to tell the original from the copy, do you have any observations or tips when purchasing hub caps ?

Comment

Hi R06:

Regardless of the make, an original item can usually be discerned from a reproduction. Studying photos of known original items is a good way to build a knowledge base. In the past I've been happy to occasionally buy a "repop" for display purposes till acquiring the original. Some are nicely executed.

Comment

Talking of repro versus genuine parts I attach photos of Flight Engineering's continuing work on a well known Me109 salvaged from the Eastern front some years ago.
                                  "Yellow 12 " is the identity I think.
                                  Peter Grieves is making his usual excellent job of it, and the skill needed to fabricate and blend in missing parts into the remaining fuselage is evident throughout the build.

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	3677623Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1260.JPG
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	3677624Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.JPG
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	3677625Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1262.JPG
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	3677626Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1263.JPG
Size:	892.2 KB
ID:	3677627Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1272.JPG
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	3677628Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1273.JPG
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	3677629

Comment

Brightspark180

I am in the process of producing a collectors guide for the Dunlop Straight Handles with part numbers, aircraft use, descriptions etc, similar to the 'Ring Handles Bible' Alan 'Air Ministry' Hulme has produced. It will probably only be a 'tip of the iceberg' resource as there were so many produced but, hopefully better than nothing! It is still in it's early stages of compilation and it is still work in progress. If you do find a handle with an 'uncertain' use, this forum will do it's best to identify it!

Martyn

GYD

Comment

Lovely cap Nick. Lovely 109 project.
                                      Tony Dyer
                                      https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

Comment

Hatinthering

Here you go!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lockheed-...cAAOSwI8laC1TH

GYD

Comment

"Talking of repro versus genuine parts I attach photos of Flight Engineering's continuing work on a well known Me109 salvaged from the Eastern front some years ago.
                                          Peter Grieves is making his usual excellent job of it, and the skill needed to fabricate and blend in missing parts into the remaining fuselage is evident throughout the build."

That ME/Bf-109 project takes the need for new parts fabrication (and skills required) to an entirely different level. It will be interesting to see whether the owner(s) will attempt to power it with a DB-601/605 or whether they put a Merlin in it...like the ex-Spanish HA-1112s used in the "Battle of Britain" film. Hard to believe it has been 48 years since I went to see that film at a theater!
                                          Last edited by Swifter; 19th November 2017, 16:14.

Comment

Working...
                                          X