Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hi,
    Yes you're right, I was a month out of date, I don't visit these pages very often !
    The photo of the B45 yoke was interesting, but I am still of the opinion that very few B45 yokes were fitted with caps. I did some research a few years ago, looking at every photo and document I could find of the Tornado cockpit. Not one operational aircraft had a cap fitted, either front or back seat.
    Although possibly the same could be said of say C130 or B52 cockpits, and they clearly had plastic caps at least for part of their careers.
    I would be interested to know the whereabouts of the yoke in the photograph.

    Comment


      Originally posted by gabby View Post
      The photo of the B45 yoke was interesting, but I am still of the opinion that very few B45 yokes were fitted with caps. I did some research a few years ago, looking at every photo and document I could find of the Tornado cockpit. Not one operational aircraft had a cap fitted, either front or back seat. Although possibly the same could be said of say C130 or B52 cockpits, and they clearly had plastic caps at least for part of their careers. I would be interested to know the whereabouts of the yoke in the photograph.
      I suspect you are right insofar as that style of cap was easy for crew to remove as a souvenier. And the center of the wheel was a good place to clip approach plates. When new, I suspect the aircraft were delivered with the caps. The control wheel in the photo is owned by a collector up in the northwest part of the US. I've attached a photo (not a good one) of a B45 cockpit with a cap in place.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	RB-45C%20Tornado.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	3670983

      Comment


        Hi, I've stripped down a couple of yokes to bare metal and intend to re paint them. Prior to doing this I was wondering if there was a good primer paint which also acts as a corrosion inhibiter i.e doesn't progress corrosion any further than what might already be on the yoke. Thanks in advance of any information.

        Comment


          Important to use a paint system. If the grip is aluminium or an alloy thereof, use etch primer. Light Aero Spares do this in a spray can.
          Tony Dyer
          https://www.facebook.com/TheAirDefen...homepage_panel

          Comment


            I've had good luck with Rust-Oleum primers & paints.

            Comment


              Thanks Rocketeer and Nick, I'll try and get hold of your recommendations.

              Comment


                Hi all:

                Late yesterday a wheel column (obviously DeHaviland) showed up on Ebay a fairly low BIN price. Did some quick online research and I came away thinking it's out of Dove or Heron. It no longer has the correct (rotary) R/T switch. Looking for verification on which DeHaviland aircraft this wheel most likely came from. Thanks for your help.....as always.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	DeHav 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	3671184 Click image for larger version

Name:	DeHav 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	3671185

                Yes, I did buy it.

                Comment


                  Exactly as you said Nick, it's a heron or dove with a modified R/T button. Both aircraft had the same yoke and column design. Really cannot differentiate the two unless the seller has some history as to where it was removed from.

                  Comment


                    Thanks for the confirmation Darrell. Much appreciated. I was initially hoping it was out of a Comet or some such
                    Am happy to settle for the Dove though...

                    Comment


                      This just showed up on Ebay-US -- A very nice B-47 control wheel. Item # 172410168966. Based on my experience bidding on the last B47 wheel on ebay about three years ago (reserve not met), I'm guessing this one will go quite high. Here's your chance at obtaining one of the key (and rare) control wheels in this hobby.

                      Comment


                        The B47 wheel is only visible on ebay.com. There is some exciting and potentially expensive stuff listed, Swifter, including this P-61 example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2919420799...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                        I'm expecting it to go for more than my piggy bank will stand.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by ian_ View Post
                          There is some exciting and potentially expensive stuff listed, Swifter, including this P-61 example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2919420799...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
                          I'm expecting it to go for more than my piggy bank will stand.
                          It's a nice wheel indeed Ian. But it's almost certainly from a B-45 Tornado, not a P-61. The seller did modify his ad to indicate the wheel could come from other aircraft. The switch orientation and nomenclature is what gives it away.

                          Comment


                            It also looks very similar to the Lockheed Harpoon wheel, albeit with subtle differences.


                            Rob
                            Facebook page
                            https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

                            Comment


                              Thanks Swifter, a quick look further up this thread shows it off well. That's an odd Variation on the Hudson/Electra theme Rob. A quick google suggests that RAF Venturas continued with the Hudson style wheel.

                              Comment


                                PV-2 Harpoon (photo - Reaper6). As I said Ian, subtle differences - to my untrained eye anyway. Maybe I need spec savers lol.


                                RobClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6678.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	3671212Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6680.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	3671213
                                Last edited by Wyvernfan; 17th November 2016, 17:27.
                                Facebook page
                                https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

                                Comment


                                  Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                                  PV-2 Harpoon (photo - Reaper6). As I said Ian, subtle differences - to my untrained eye anyway. Maybe I need spec savers lol.
                                  Gentlemen; it's the same casting for both aircraft (and on others). The photos below are of my PV-2 Harpoon wheel. I installed the correct triggers for the A-26/P-61. I doubt they were present in the PV-2. Ignore the Northrop cap. The Lockheed cap uses the same base with its own logo sticker....that I need to acquire...

                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	PV-2,c.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	3671219 Click image for larger version

Name:	PV-2,d.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	3671220

                                  Oh, and as mentioned earlier in this thread....the wheel that started this exchange is most likely out of a B-45...again, same casting. The thing that varies sometimes is the thickness and type of coating. I have two of these wheels, likely manufactured several years apart in time, and the coatings are quite different.
                                  Last edited by Swifter; 17th November 2016, 23:01.

                                  Comment


                                    Originally posted by Swifter View Post
                                    Gentlemen; it's the same casting for both aircraft (and on others). The photos below are of my PV-2 Harpoon wheel. I installed the correct triggers for the A-26/P-61. I doubt they were present in the PV-2. Ignore the Northrop cap. The Lockheed cap uses the same base with its own logo sticker....that I need to acquire...

                                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]249751[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]249752[/ATTACH]

                                    Oh, and as mentioned earlier in this thread....the wheel that started this exchange is most likely out of a B-45...again, same casting. The thing that varies sometimes is the thickness and type of coating. I have two of these wheels, likely manufactured several years apart in time, and the coatings are quite different.
                                    Hi,
                                    An interesting ebay listing. Does look like a B45, particularly with trim button. However the casting markings on the back of the yoke are different from mine, although I do not know the significance , if any of this.
                                    If I can work out how to post photos, I will do so if anyone's interested.
                                    As already mentioned in this forum, the extra button illustrated on the ebay listing is not correct for the Tornado .

                                    Comment


                                      Hello, guys!
                                      I'm a new one here and English is not my native language, so pardon for any mistakes. It happen so that last month I come across one interesting item. At first I thought it's a C1 formation control grip stick. I regret there was no shield on it. But then I saw some differences. The cover is not solid as in the original, it is made of two parts. There is no plug in bottom, instead there is a wire with a plug. Contacts in the plug are marked with cyrillic letters. I know that soviet TU-4 was a replica of American B-29 but as I know autopilot was not copied. So are there any ideas what and where from it might be?
                                      Click image for larger version

Name:	12429182.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	3671943 Click image for larger version

Name:	12427134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	3671944Click image for larger version

Name:	12403582.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	3671945

                                      Comment


                                        Originally posted by capitanblood View Post
                                        Hello, guys!
                                        I'm a new one here and English is not my native language, so pardon for any mistakes. It happen so that last month I come across one interesting item. At first I thought it's a C1 formation control grip stick. I regret there was no shield on it. But then I saw some differences. The cover is not solid as in the original, it is made of two parts. There is no plug in bottom, instead there is a wire with a plug. Contacts in the plug are marked with cyrillic letters. I know that soviet TU-4 was a replica of American B-29 but as I know autopilot was not copied. So are there any ideas what and where from it might be?
                                        Hi and welcome:

                                        Now that is a very interesting piece!! Given Russia's well documented abilities at reverse engineering aircraft and other items after WWII, I think there is little doubt that it is a copy of the Formation Stick used in the B-17, B-24, B-29 and perhaps other US aircraft. It's very interesting to see an example of the copying taking place at the fairly small component level. I know that Russian engineers would often "improve" on a design if they needed to tailor something. For example, I know that a later version of the TU-4 (B-29) you mentioned was actually powered by four turbo-prop engines. If you're right, and the C-1 autopilot (and its sub-systems) were not incorporated into the TU-4 design, it doesn't necessarily mean the autopilot system wasn't copied. Your formation stick is very convincing evidence a B-17, B-24 or B-29 autopilot and related systems were copied and installed an aircraft. Now it will be really interesting to find out which late 1940s to early 1950s vintage Russian aircraft received the system.

                                        As an aside, the C-1 autopilot disconnect switch was a very functional design. The Russians obtained the design, probably from a B-17/B-24. Now take a look at the switch assembly mounted on the left arm of the (four decades newer) the TU-22M control wheel in the photo. Care to guess the lineage....?


                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Forma Stick - C-1 AP w Disc. Switch.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	3671951 Click image for larger version

Name:	C-1 AP disc sw..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	3671952 Click image for larger version

Name:	A.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	3671953

                                        Comment


                                          Originally posted by Swifter View Post
                                          Now it will be really interesting to find out which late 1940s to early 1950s vintage Russian aircraft received the system.
                                          Well, I now that the previous owner got it as a present when he bought some sort of a military diving suit maybe from a veteran. So it might be that it came somewhere from the navy aviation.

                                          Comment


                                           

                                          Working...
                                          X