Register Free

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favourite Control Column Stick/Yoke/Grip!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Air Ministry View Post
    Hi Martyn,

On that same score, I have AC13642 as a Javelin grip, not AC15642?
    Ah! Your right, I did say the print was a bit blurry!

M

Comment

Thank you everyone, seems like we have settled on it being early Bucc then. I will give it a little clean up and post some more pics soon.

Could I ask some advice, the wires have already been cut at some point but there is still a lot of surplus wires sticking out of the bottom, I am tempted to trim these shorter so it could be mounted on a wooden plinth - what do you guys think?

To be honest I had hoped it was Javelin as it would have complimented my Javelin main instrument panel, but even so I am not disappointed. In case any of you who know me and are wondering why the sudden interest in post war aircraft, these items are for my man cave collection, everything World War Two is either in the museum or being worked on to go on display in the museum.
      WANTED For projects: P-63 / P-39 & A-26 Invader Parts

http://wingsmuseum.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by redhillwings View Post
        Thank you everyone, seems like we have settled on it being early Bucc then. I will give it a little clean up and post some more pics soon.

Could I ask some advice, the wires have already been cut at some point but there is still a lot of surplus wires sticking out of the bottom, I am tempted to trim these shorter so it could be mounted on a wooden plinth - what do you guys think?

To be honest I had hoped it was Javelin as it would have complimented my Javelin main instrument panel, but even so I am not disappointed. In case any of you who know me and are wondering why the sudden interest in post war aircraft, these items are for my man cave collection, everything World War Two is either in the museum or being worked on to go on display in the museum.
        Redhillwings, fear not!

Javelin grips are far, far more common than pre production Buccaneer grips I wager! That is a pretty scarce, unique and desirable grip. I'm just glad it has found an appreciative new home. Thanks for sharing.

Martyn

GYD

Comment

Now, my turn!

I brought this grip off e-bay last year, it looks like a Mason type A4 Skyhawk(ish) grip at first glance but, there are no buttons representing weapon release, the top left hand switch is a radio key the mid thumb switch is for landing light control, centre coolie hat controls trim and the right hand switch is an up/down motion with the word/letters POD next to the switch. There is also the usual, (single action) trigger switch but, no indication of it's use. (The 'connector' pictured with the grip is a bodge and probably has no connection to the grip itself).

My initial thought was helicopter and possibly CH 54 'Sky Crane' given the word/letters POD, (putting 2 + 2 = 4). However, all pictures I can find of the CH 54 cockpit show the B-8 style of grip. Has any one else got any idea?

Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57 (7).JPG
Views:	1
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	3666142

Martyn

GYD

Comment

Just to complete the M148 cockpit pictures, keys attached.
            JK
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Martyn,

Trust me I am not disapointed but I am glad I took advice from this forum as it would have surely been added to the Javilin panel!! Thanks to everyone for their assistance in the ID, you lot know your grips, unlike me!

Comment

In case of interest....B29 yoke and cap on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Boeing-.../121859484448?

Swifter

Comment

An Art Deco treat, Swifter. Oh for unlimited cash!

Comment

Originally posted by ian_ View Post
                    An Art Deco treat, Swifter. Oh for unlimited cash!
                    LOL - I know what you mean Ian. I have many records of actual sales over the last 10 years. Prices vary tremendously for this yoke (sans cap) -- from $760us to $3700 !! If this combo sells for less than $1800 the buyer will have gotten a fairly good buy.

Comment

I guess this could also possibly be a B17 yoke with a b29 cap? As far as I know they were the same yoke and after my recent Javilin / Buccaneer grip saga it makes you look twice at these things.

Comment

Latest piece to my collection. Russian relic Pe-2 control yoke.

Dave
                        Attached Files

Comment

The Pe2 yoke is a nice acquisition, it's great when obscure yokes such as this materialise. On quick glance it looked like a De Havilland pattern yoke but once the eyes focus the differences are apparent. Could I ask where you got the diagram from? I'm just wondering if there is ready literature out there with regards to WWII Russian cockpits and yokes? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by G-ASEA View Post
                            Latest piece to my collection. Russian relic Pe-2 control yoke.
                            Interesting to see the Russian construction of 70-75 years ago; functional but crude by European or American standards of the time. And I agree with your observations FLY.BUY, on the configuration similarities to DH products.

Swifter

Comment

I guess this could also possibly be a B17 yoke with a b29 cap? As far as I know they were the same yoke....
                              Your supposition could certainly be right RedHillWings. But, I have found it's likely that some late production B29s may have been delivered with the same yoke that later was used on the C/KC97. Attached photos are of a yoke that sold on Ebay a couple of years ago. The seller personally removed it from the B29 hulk in the photo. Its the only one Ive ever encountered that had the C/KC97 type mounting pads on the backside, undrilled (for switches), and with no autopilot switch mounted in either stalk. Since no autopilot switch (with wiring routed through the yoke) was mounted, it also doesn't have AUTOPILOT engraved on the front of the yoke, horizontally on the crossbar, on the right or left side, as the C/KC97s did. This yoke style, with the switch mounting pads on the top backside of the stalks, when used on C/KC-97s, would have had an autopilot switch installed on one of the pads in back.

The MICROPHONE engraving in the vertical is also common to the C/KC-97 yoke, not the B17. All F and G model B17s and the large majority of B29s were delivered with the yokes that had MICROPHONE engraved on the front of the yoke, horizontally on the crossbar, on the right or left side.
                              Bottom line: It's probable that Boeing delivered some late production B29s with yokes that were not the same as used on B17s.

Name:	29a .jpg
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	3666183 Click image for larger version

Name:	29c .jpg
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	3666184

Swifter

Comment

Crusader F8 grip anyone? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crusader-F...3D321965942343

Helicopter ? http://www.ebay.de/itm/Steuerknuppel...EAAOSwFqJWkpQ0

F14 Tomcat grip http://www.ebay.com/itm/SURPLUS-USED...QAAOSwwPhWjygB

MIG 15-17 grip and pedals http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soviet-Aircr...5WVe0o&vxp=mtr
                                Last edited by FLY.BUY; 10th January 2016, 20:27.

Comment

That's very interesting Swifter. So would I be right in thinking that the B-50 yoke was basically the same as the B-29 yoke but with different engraving?

Rob Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	3666185
                                  Facebook page
                                  https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

Thank you swifter for the comprehensive explanation. Is there anyway of telling the difference between a B17 yoke and a b29 yoke? I've been advised a stamped V on the casting points towards a B17 but otherwise they could be from either type.

Comment

Could I ask where you got the diagram from? I'm just wondering if there is ready literature out there with regards to WWII Russian cockpits and yokes? Thanks[/QUOTE]

I put it on Facebook, Early Russian and Soviet aircraft and some one put this on, from IC.Pics.Livejournal.com

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
                                        That's very interesting Swifter. So would I be right in thinking that the B-50 yoke was basically the same as the B-29 yoke but with different engraving?
                                        I think it's (probably) accurate to say the B-50 yoke was the same as the late production B-29 yoke and C/KC97 yoke, but with different engraving. All B50 yokes would have at least one of the two back-side pads drilled/reamed for a switch. The photo you chose illustrates that well Wyvernfan.

Swifter
                                        Last edited by Swifter; 10th January 2016, 22:40.

Comment

Is there anyway of telling the difference between a B17 yoke and a b29 yoke? I've been advised a stamped V on the casting points towards a B17 but otherwise they could be from either type.
                                          RedHillWings; a stamped V on the hub of the yoke indicates it mounted to a B17 manufactured under licence by Lockheed's Vega division. B17s were also made under license by Douglas Aircraft. But no unique stamping on them allowing their identification separate from B17s made in Seattle. B-29s were produced under license by Martin aircraft in Omaha Nebraska and by Bell Aircraft in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm unaware of any unique stampings in the hub of those yokes that would make them stand out from B29s made in Seattle. B17s and B29s made under license were often (if not always) delivered with plastic caps that identified the manufacturer though. For example: The Lockheed B-17 cap:

Name:	B17 (Lockheed Mfg) cap.JPG
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	3666186

But there's no way to prove caps and yokes stayed together though.

Swifter
                                          Last edited by Swifter; 10th January 2016, 23:02.

Comment

Working...
                                          X