Bloodhound missile survivors

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years 1 month

Does anybody have information about a couple of Bloodhounds used as background sets in a TV programme which was screened some years ago, possibly in the 90s

Original post

Member for

14 years 6 months

My mate owns an actual Bloodhound missile... might not be what your seeking but thought it might interest :) neverless....

Member for

13 years 1 month

Does he want to sell it? I can give it a good home at North Coates the first Bloodhound base in the UK

Member for

16 years 1 month

theres three lying on the ground at north luffenham, and the control cabin is there too

Member for

24 years 2 months

The TV programme was called Spacecadets and the missiles used for the set dressing at Bentwaters were Thunderbirds from Hanningfield Metals at Stock.

http://www.corestore.org/scrap.htm

Regards
Ross

Member for

24 years 2 months

There is only one missile fuselage left at North Luffenham -the Mk.1 Bloodhound
left a couple of years ago.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Thanks chaps, I presume the Thunderbirds went back to the scrap yard on completion of the TV series?. I can confirm that North Luffenham is devoid of any recognisable Bloodhounds. There must be others out there though.

Member for

17 years 5 months

I remember them all at Gut down one side of the runway pointing East, 'twas a posting one tried to avoid in ones career..

Member for

19 years 7 months

Airfield: Google for the Bloodhound Missile Preservation Group for further information.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Well actually YES last i heard he was seeking interested parties to maybe buy it in the longer term.... but .....it is in Australia and might be $10,000-$20,000.... cant recall the exact price?

Member for

13 years 1 month

bloodhound missile survivors

Thanks for the Info chaps, Australia is a bit too far to go on the tandem. I have looked at the Bloodhound Groups site its very interesting
Thanks for your assistance

Member for

18 years 2 months

Back in October I participated in Aviation Heritage Lincolnshire’s (AHL) Cold War Tour and I learnt a lot about Bloodhound Operations in the county. One of the speakers / guides was Bill Taylor and he provided some great background information about each Bloodhound era.

The tour included a visit to Dunholme Lodge, when some of the Fire Control Buildings are still in existence. The tour also took in parts of Faldingworth and certainly where we visited there was no Bloodhound in evidence (I know this was referenced in the other thread) – whether there is anything located in the ‘other’ part of Faldingworth that you’re not supposed to talk about I’m not sure?

The ‘Bloodhound Radar Cabins’ at Newark also featured in the AHL Cold War Focus Day and again I gained some fresh insight into their functionality and importance; quite a fascinating subject! :)

I almost forgot – there is a good Bloodhound restoration project currently underway at the Thorpe Camp museum, which I was able to photograph back in the summer.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I recall been told the RAAF introduced the Bloodhound to ward off the Russian/Indonesian intrusions into northern Australia via Tu-95 Bears or something in the early 1960s... the CAC Sabre jets couldnt reach the bombers...

The Bloodhounds seemed to work like magic .......alongside the Mirage.....
as the Russians didnt fly as often all across northern Australia afterwards.....

The Bloodhound defended Australia for many years serving along side its personnel in secrecy and silence effectively....

Member for

14 years 6 months

Just been updated tonight.

My mate's Bloodhound missile has been sold to a Australian museum and will be on display next year.

Member for

13 years 1 month

Faldingworth does a have a couple of Bloodhound,one was evident on Google earth a few years ago. Its on the part of the airfield operated by Faldingworth defence Ltd and now possibly underground in one of the very large deep storage bunkers. It was very evident in the background on local TV when the villagers were complaining about the underground explosions there a few years ago.
If you go On Google Earth now you will not find it but there is a tail less Lynx helicopter in its place

Member for

18 years 2 months

:eek: .. watch out for those blacked out Range Rovers!! ;)

Member for

13 years 1 month

Its not the Range Rovers, its the occupants you worry about, if confronted just ask them " is it worth it for the basic minimum wage" They soon clear off

Member for

14 years 8 months

There's one pointing skyward at RAAF Point Cook right now....

Member for

13 years 1 month

There is another one a bit nearer home but its missing a few bits namely the four booster rockets and tail fins, any ideas out there where these may be sourced?

Member for

16 years 2 months

Bloodhound missile

I was at Cosford a few weeks ago and there was one lying at the side of the road to the MBCC hangar.

There may have been two, I'm not sure. I wasn't paying much attention at the time.

Anon.