Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBMF Hurricane PZ865 New Paint

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Robert Edward
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Apr 2008
    • 153

    BBMF Hurricane PZ865 New Paint

    The BBMF have posted some pictures showing PZ865 in the spray booth receiving an SEAC colour scheme:

    http://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Official
  • D1566
    Needs retiring.
    • Apr 2006
    • 2128

    #2

    BBMF Hurricane by martinperry77, on Flickr

    Martin

    Comment

    • 8674planes
      Rank 5 Registered User
      • Jun 2011
      • 1068

      #3
      It looks....Stunning! Hope they do the same standard of work on AB910!
      " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

      Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

      Comment

      • justplanecrazy
        Rank 5 Registered User
        • Oct 2007
        • 14

        #4
        Excellent another SEAC scheme, 70 years have gone by & today not such a 'forgotten air force'!

        Nick

        Comment

        • Graham Boak
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Nov 2008
          • 957

          #5
          Very good: and not the commonly-shown N either. If as a result of this interest, if anyone knows the serial for M, please let me know.

          Comment

          • Black Knight
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • Oct 2003
            • 1909

            #6
            Would far sooner see The Last of the Many markings & leave it alone

            Comment

            • Seafuryfan
              Rank 5 Registered User
              • Jan 2000
              • 2497

              #7
              Exactly what I've been seeking for our wall mounted display of Sixty Squadron aircraft. Sixty flew green/dark earth camoflage aircraft with SEAC so this is a pretty good match, especially if it flies with cannons.

              So I can acquire a high res photo when she flies, I'd be grateful if anyone can connect me (via PM if required) with air-to-air photographers who work with BBMF. Thanks.

              Comment

              • Roobarb
                Rank 5 Registered User
                • Mar 2005
                • 1186

                #8
                Great scheme and very accurate by the look of it. Nice pictures, I think I once bumped into the photographer that's credited on the official page...

                Comment

                • Biggles of 266
                  Rank 5 Registered User
                  • Jan 2011
                  • 102

                  #9
                  When will somebody work out that the older the paintwork gets, the more it looks like a service aircraft!

                  It's a good job the RAF don't own the Mona Lisa, she would be on her 94th repaint, and would look like Joan Collins by now!
                  Guy

                  Comment

                  • DazDaMan
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2003
                    • 18720

                    #10
                    When you have your own Spitfire, etc etc....
                    Daren Cogdon

                    Spitfire fanatic

                    Comment

                    • Yak 11 Fan
                      Rank 5 Registered User
                      • Jan 2000
                      • 4377

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Biggles of 266 View Post
                      When will somebody work out that the older the paintwork gets, the more it looks like a service aircraft!

                      It's a good job the RAF don't own the Mona Lisa, she would be on her 94th repaint, and would look like Joan Collins by now!
                      Guy
                      Surely the point of painting aircraft such as this is firstly to protect the aircraft as a live machine in order that future enthusiasts can enjoy it and secondly to represent and pay tribute to the many different squadrons, fields of operation etc that the type of aircraft served with.

                      I'm sure if the Mona Lisa was exposed to all weathers and was taken from art gallery to art galery it too would need some serious attention, similarly however there are aircraft in museums still in paintwork applied in the 40s (and earlier with some types)
                      www.hardwickwarbirds.com

                      Comment

                      • 8674planes
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Jun 2011
                        • 1068

                        #12
                        http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/inde...A5CC8D0CDB5880

                        PZ865 "Airtest week starting 28 Jan 13 then return to Flight." Not too long now!
                        " Radial engines don't drip oil, they mark their territory"

                        Flickr:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8674planes

                        Comment

                        • Biggles1
                          Rank 1 Registered User
                          • Aug 2014
                          • 1

                          #13
                          I gather that this Hurricane was based for a while at Dundfold? If it was then its the same Hurricane that we used to watch as children belting over the treetops and fields around our Rudgwick house in the late 60's. I well recall the mass exodus from inside that the first hint of the merlin caused. I think it was treated much more harshly back then as it was louder lower and faster than it's (understandably) flown today. I have mixed feelings about the colour scheme, part of me thinks that they should be kept as original as possible but what better way to pay tribute to former squadrons and pilots? I gather that Biggin Hill's Hurricane has just been repainted as Pete Brothers P2962. I remain undecided.

                          Comment

                          • Banupa
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 1025

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Biggles1 View Post
                            I gather that this Hurricane was based for a while at Dundfold? If it was then its the same Hurricane that we used to watch as children belting over the treetops and fields around our Rudgwick house in the late 60's. I well recall the mass exodus from inside that the first hint of the merlin caused. I think it was treated much more harshly back then as it was louder lower and faster than it's (understandably) flown today. I have mixed feelings about the colour scheme, part of me thinks that they should be kept as original as possible but what better way to pay tribute to former squadrons and pilots? I gather that Biggin Hill's Hurricane has just been repainted as Pete Brothers P2962. I remain undecided.
                            Back in the '60's that was the only Hurricane that was airworthy. Yes it was based at Dunsfold as part of Hawker Siddeley's collection of historic aircraft.
                            If you want original, perhaps it should return to its blue civil scheme as G-AMAU?Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawker Hurricane IIC PZ865 RAF. Biggin Hill 1972 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	3657463
                            This was what it was like in the early 1970's at Biggin Hill. Sorry for quality, but it scanned slide fresh!
                            Lee
                            Cap'n Plug
                            www.afac.co.uk

                            Comment

                            • Consul
                              Rank 5 Registered User
                              • Aug 2004
                              • 1772

                              #15
                              I like your thinking Banupa ...would also be nice to see Spitfire G-AIDN in its 1960s light blue racing scheme .....I don't think it would ever happen, but oldies like me can dream

                              Tim
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."(Mary Baker Eddy)

                              Comment

                              • SADSACK
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Jan 2000
                                • 3486

                                #16
                                re;

                                Originally posted by Consul View Post
                                I like your thinking Banupa ...would also be nice to see Spitfire G-AIDN in its 1960s light blue racing scheme .....I don't think it would ever happen, but oldies like me can dream

                                Tim
                                Is she in store or has work began?
                                pb::

                                Comment

                                • Sicobra
                                  Rank 5 Registered User
                                  • Jan 2013
                                  • 71

                                  #17
                                  I loved the "used" look of Hanger 11's P40 that was retained for a short period after film work, it somehow look so much better and would love to see more owners adding a temporary "in use" feel to their aircraft even if it was just for one season.
                                  Look here.
                                  http://www.hangar11.co.uk/p40gallery.html

                                  Comment

                                  • DazDaMan
                                    Rank 5 Registered User
                                    • Aug 2003
                                    • 18720

                                    #18
                                    The Shuttleworth Spitfire Vc looked suitably worn after a few years, before it was repainted.
                                    Daren Cogdon

                                    Spitfire fanatic

                                    Comment

                                    • me109g4
                                      Rank 5 Registered User
                                      • May 2009
                                      • 558

                                      #19
                                      Sadsack, I was informed by a fellow forumite that G-AIDN is being worked on at Booker as we speak.

                                      consul, that was a beautiful paint scheme for G-AIDN, it was a frequent flyer over my house as I lived near the Fairey residence at the time. It was also used as my babysitter when I was taken to RAF Andover where it was based for a time.

                                      Comment

                                      Unconfigured Ad Widget

                                      Collapse

                                       

                                      Working...
                                      X