Warbird recoveries in last week - Australia - P-43 Lancer and P-51 Mustang

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

14 years 6 months

Anyone know anymore about 2 warbirds "found" in Australia recently?

Recovered in Wagga Wagga was a P-51 Mustang and a very rare P-43 Lancer is what has been reported elsewhere.

Said story had misinformation due to high prize catch if indeed true to stop other "owners" getting their hands on such a find.

Original post

Member for

13 years 5 months

Would this be the only surviving P-43 if it proves to be that plane?

btw, I have heard absolutely zilch about this here in Oz, so colour me dubious.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Looking at some of the comments made by people recently on that Warbirdz thread, i think they are a bit rude to whoever has potentially found these airframes....and other warbird owners and collectors. ( i am also glad i left that forum as it only reinforces how rude some "warbird" enthusiasts are there towards others)

As we all know we are awaiting proof. on the Lancer and Mustang find...

That may take time to be revealed.

Nothing has to be done in a rush.

Its up to the owners discretion when they want to reveal...???..... not some individual online poster demanding on a forum for them to "shut up or put up" is it now...

What disturbs me is some of the posters attitude is really not needed and will only cause others warbird owners/collectors to refuse to share information in the future.

Some posters on page 5 and page 6 of the Warbirdz.net thread seems to be desperate for news...... I think they should stand back and await further evidence before jumping in so soon....and making such uncalled for comments.

Common sense is obviously lacking in some specific individuals..... and they obviously dont see what they are writing can damage future warbird recoveries in Australia with their attitudes.

Most people have seen quite a few wrecks recovered around the world lately.. so they need to remember they shouldnt just write off someone because no pictures or evidence was given...

Member for

14 years 7 months

The trail is warm and a bit on the bugle: "taken to a near by Commercial Cement suppliers for high pressure cleaning" :eek:

http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47484

Supposedly, there is a Republic Lancer to be seen in these parts (Victoria) . . . or what's left of it after crashing into the bush along the Great Dividing Range during the war. A bushy took me to a site 30 years ago that may have been it. I remember melted cylinder heads, a crank, scattered aluminium pieces, leeches the size of your little finger and a dozy tiger snake. It's rugged country all right and little wonder that some wrecks remained hidden for years after crashing. RIP

Member for

14 years 6 months

Someone involved in the recovery operation of the P-43 and P-51 at Wagga Wagga has contacted me via email as i am well known it seems, after i made a comment on the WIX forum it seems.

To show their operation is indeed real , all going well, they are going to release to me and have allowed to show others, a warbird recovery they undertook in the past of a Australian Spitfire in a swamp in 2001. Around 50% of a Spitfire was recovered from a swamp in 2001, the remains were less than 250m from a busy road.

Has anyone else heard of this or seen photos will be interesting once i get the photos...Maybe one or two people may have been aware but the owners decided they wanted to keep it quiet,......why? who knows.

But it has been pointed out to me that the owners are quite annoyed by suggestions from other people on forums as already discussed, that their own private affairs should be forced out into the "open" just to feed some "ego's " let alone they have to be told "to put up or shut up".... which is extremely rude.

Seems maybe my approach of being open to any possibilities has opened a door to potential more information maybe..

who knows......

I would suggest other people who were rude or dismissive try this - maybe remain open to what these people may have found......you really dont know what could be "out there".... remember barns and farms hold all kind of things...

Member for

24 years 3 months

Page 192 of 'the boo'?

Mark

Member for

24 years 3 months

Any finds of possible airframes or parts in this day and age is most welcome news! Look forward to updates.

Member for

15 years 1 month

Well done Daniel for being privvy to this gen,always good to hear of a new recovery.Will you post photos?,it would be really great to see them.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Page 192 of 'the boo'?

Mark

Ok so what the story in MA395 then?

Member for

18 years 10 months

As with all things Aussie, I'll believe it when I see the photos. It's like they invented conspiracy theories as a national sport.

Member for

14 years 6 months

I have today been in further contact with the party who is recovering warbirds and they have promised to me about 5 photos relating to this Spitfire recovery in 2001.

No word yet on their P-43 and P-51 photos... but the owners have said they may consider my request WHEN they are ready to share as i have asked politely....

Member for

19 years 7 months

you really dont know what could be "out there".... remember barns and farms hold all kind of things...

They also seem to have a lot of manure too. ;)

Member for

18 years

As with all things Aussie, I'll believe it when I see the photos. It's like they invented conspiracy theories as a national sport.

Hmmmm, an odd thing to say, and while I sincerely doubt that these aircraft will eventuate, seems to me it's a more modest fantasy than 60 Spitfires that have driven this forum and most of the British media - and your PM - into a lather.

Member for

24 years 3 months

Many thanks.

Indeed MA395 / A58-241 taken on 11 November 2002.

Mark

Member for

14 years 6 months

The owners of the photos has told me it isnt that airframe and it wasnt 2002.

It was another aircraft, another location in Australia and taken during 2001.

So how can you prove that the aircraft and 2002?
What other proof?

Member for

13 years 9 months

A Fosters tv advert from years ago suddenly springs to mind:

Aren't any sharks in here are there?
Noooooooo, crocodiles ate all the sharks...........

Member for

24 years 3 months

The owners of the photos has told me it isnt that airframe and it wasnt 2002.

It was another aircraft, another location in Australia and taken during 2001.

So how can you prove that the aircraft and 2002?
What other proof?

Then I must be wrong. ;)

Mark