The Plane Crash

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 11 months

Watched the Channel 4 programme on the Boeing 727 that was crashed into the desert.

Has anyone come up with the reg and construction number of it yet ??

Original post

Member for

24 years 3 months

According to the guys over on Air-Britain it was c/n21348 registered as XB-MNP for the test with previous reg quoted as N293AS.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Ex Singapore Airlines 9V-SGB

Member for

15 years 9 months

I would've been nice if they put in a couple of rows of rearward facing seats and did a comparison!

Member for

17 years 6 months

I thought that as well, the RAF Ten fleet has them, trouble is they would need some Ten seats, as they are stressed differently, you cannot just turn a row around..
I see there is some moaning going on about the virtual booking that channel 4 ran in conjunction with the show, you could book a seat and they would tell you if you would have survived etc.. I thought what a cracking idea to raise awareness, sadly some nimby's didn't agree.

I thought it was an interesting and well made programme, thank gawd they didn't wait for a replacement fuel pump for the Marchetti, I waited 6 months for a new nose U/C trunnion for one, and that was AOG from the manufacturer.

Member for

16 years 3 months

I would've been nice if they put in a couple of rows of rearward facing seats and did a comparison!

Agreed, but I fear all they would have done would have been to turn a row around and as the dummy would produce a higher cg I'd guess that the seat backs would fail or the seats rip out of the floor rail. The dummy would also be likely to get a face full of wreakage resulting in the conclusion that rearward facing seats are not safe. Ignoring the fact that the seats wern't designed for that orientation and the overhead lockers and trim shouldn't be coming loose at g loads which are survivable in the first place.
RC range restricted? well if you will have both transmit and recieve antenna inside aircraft fuselages what can you expect?
And as for leaving the baggage hold empty, even they realised that invalidated some of their results but it begs the question; 'Was the AUW at landing representative?' No freight, next to no pax and how much fuel?

On the whole I feel that this was more a stunt for TV rather than a proper scientific exercise.

Was this an excellent programme ruined for me by my twenty five years of flight trials?:)

Member for

14 years 1 month

RC range restricted? well if you will have both transmit and receive antenna inside aircraft fuselages what can you expect?

My thought's too. Although with these programmes, it's not always a case of what you see is what you get.
They sometimes need some added drama ;)