Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Westland Wyvern Project Thread.

Collapse
X
Collapse
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jasonp51d
    Rank 5 Registered User
    • Jun 2003

Panel looks stunning - can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Congrats.

J
    Jason Webb
    www.bottishamairfieldmuseum.org.uk
    www.361fg.com

Comment

• Wyvernfan
      wyvernfan@gmail.com
      • Oct 2007

Cheers J. I'm only just round the corner so no problem.

Rob
      Facebook page
      https://www.facebook.com/Westland.Wy...tif_t=page_fan

Comment

• Wyvernfan
        wyvernfan@gmail.com
        • Oct 2007

Wyvern

Another cockpit instrument addition is this A.P.I. (Air Position Indicator) unit - complete with key. This would of been mounted just below the port instrument panel together with an external air temperature gauge.

Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to Geoffrey Bussy, who whilst looking for Short Sturgeon photos to help towards an intended article he is writing for a French aviation magazine, was kind enough to send me some scans of Sturgeons - some of which i hadn't seen before.

Rob
        Attached Files
        Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
          Rank 5 Registered User
          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Wyvernfan View Post
          Another cockpit instrument addition is this A.P.I. (Air Position Indicator) unit - complete with key. This would of been mounted just below the port instrument panel together with an external air temperature gauge.

Also i'd like to take the opportunity to say thank you to Geoffrey Bussy, who whilst looking for Short Sturgeon photos to help towards an intended article he is writing for a French aviation magazine, was kind enough to send me some scans of Sturgeons - some of which i hadn't seen before.

Rob
          Nice find Rob,

They aren't that common. I spent a while looking for mine for the Sea Hornet PR.22 panel.

Comment

• ian_
            Rank 5 Registered User
            • May 2007

That's an impressive looking dial! Your panel is spreading

Comment

• Wyvernfan
              wyvernfan@gmail.com
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by dcollins103 View Post
              Nice find Rob,

They aren't that common. I spent a while looking for mine for the Sea Hornet PR.22 panel.
              Cheers David. Yes its only the second decent one i've seen in ages. But this one was better - and cheaper.

Rob
              Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                wyvernfan@gmail.com
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ian_ View Post
                That's an impressive looking dial! Your panel is spreading
                Thanks Ian. Still need a couple of instruments for the panels, and as the API goes just below them it made sense to add it. But i'd really like to find a Type2 Mk.1 retractable GGS mounting, ref 8B/2860, to sit inside the windscreen. I've already got a relevent MK.4E GGS (8B/2912).

Rob
                Last edited by Wyvernfan; 2nd December 2013, 18:38. Reason: spelin
                Facebook page

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                  wyvernfan@gmail.com
                  • Oct 2007

Wyvern

Recent events at home plus volunteer duties at a local museum and lack of free time have meant that my own projects have been forced to take a back seat. Nevertheless I have now 'finally' managed to finish the four instrument panel mock ups (but still minus one elusive switch) and can now get these laser cut onto 3mm ally. A rare free Sunday morning today also meant that I could cut a smaller more manageable sill plate to accommodate the windscreen and ultimately the instrument panels and GGS.

Incidentally I'm still looking for a type2 Mk1 retractable gun sight mounting - ref 8B/2860 if anyone has one kicking around? A Sea Hawk mounting may also be a good substitute if one becomes available!

Rob
                  Attached Files
                  Facebook page

Comment

• No.2 A.A.C.U.
                    Rank 5 Registered User
                    • Aug 2007

Excellent work Rob it is really good to see her coming together.

Tim

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                      wyvernfan@gmail.com
                      • Oct 2007

Cheers Tim, comments appreciated!

Rob
                      Facebook page

Comment

• WV-903.
                        Rank 5 Registered User
                        • Oct 2007

Looking Good rob.

Hi Rob,
                        Looking really good M8. The Sea Hawk retractable Gyro Gunsite mounting unit is,(I'm afraid) an extremely rare item these days. Most Guys with Sea-Hawk C/pits or C/pit mock ups have old unwanted bashed up/ damaged period ones off other aircraft and have cut them down to size to fit.

Here's some pics of what (I think ) is my one and only GGS Mounting for Sea-Hawk WV-903. (Sparky has it all now ) Hope these pics. are useful to you.

All the best with projects Rob and have a good one.

Bill T.

---------------------------

PS:- Poohh !!! Just realized this is a screw thread motorized one, probably ex Javelin. Long gone I'm afraid. I'll keep looking to see if I do have correct pics. and post here if I find em. Incidentally------- Just in case you do locate the correct one, it would be a spring retractor (Short )type. Be aware that when working on them spring might be loaded into full extension and if so will release with one mighty bang when that happens. Chap we know out in N.Z. damaged an eye when that happened, he was restoring a Vampire one that let go and propelled a piece of shrapnel into his eye. So wear good safety goggles !!!!!!!!!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by WV-903.; 7th December 2014, 21:40.

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                          wyvernfan@gmail.com
                          • Oct 2007

Bill, thanks for the advice - compliments and warning. I remember looking at a Sea Hawk mounting in what must be a few years ago now. It looked quite small compared to some other types as I recall but sadly I didn't go for it. Neither did I realise they were on the scarce side. I do have a Type3 Mk3 one for a Vampire T.11 still on its transport frame if anyone needs one!?

Rob
                          Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                            Rank 5 Registered User
                            • Dec 2003

Nice progress Rob,

Will you be bringing it to Newark in 2015?

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                              wyvernfan@gmail.com
                              • Oct 2007

Possibly DC, the only reasons I didn't attend this year was because of a lack of any progress from the previous years - for reasons specified!
                              Also I have to admit to being impressed with your Meteor III cockpit mock up, as it gave me some ideas. Any progress that you can report on it?

Rob
                              Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                                Rank 5 Registered User
                                • Dec 2003

Possibly DC, the only reasons I didn't attend this year was because of a lack of any progress from the previous years - for reasons specified!
                                Also I have to admit to being impressed with your Meteor III cockpit mock up, as it gave me some ideas. Any progress that you can report on it?

Rob
                                Hi Rob,

I passed the Meteor onto a fellow forum member. He was able to take it further than I, and accordingly I have more time for Hornet stuff.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                  NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                                  • Jan 2006

Rob
                                  You’ll be very welcome to attend Rob – all the dates for NAM’s 2015 events can be found in here!
                                  Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                  Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                    wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                    • Oct 2007

You never miss a trick Howard , but thanks for the link. I'll see how things develop from here!

Rob
                                    Facebook page

Comment

• TwinOtter23
                                      NAM volunteer-Plugmeister
                                      • Jan 2006

I do my best, but the sentiment remains the same - you’ll be very welcome to attend!
                                      Find out what's happening at newarkairmuseum.org
                                      Please help move Chinook ZA717 to Newark Air Museum

Comment

• Wyvernfan
                                        wyvernfan@gmail.com
                                        • Oct 2007

Wyvern

Still early days and it certainly won't win any prizes for engineering excellence lol, but the basic forward cockpit mock-up is beginning to take shape!

RobClick image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	3658802
                                        Facebook page

Comment

• TempestV
                                          Rank 5 Registered User
                                          • Dec 2003

Still early days and it certainly won't win any prizes for engineering excellence lol, but the basic forward cockpit mock-up is beginning to take shape!

Rob[ATTACH=CONFIG]234755[/ATTACH]
                                          Really good to see it grow Rob.

These projects evolve over time. Mine started off as a panel "rig" 10 years ago, and every year another piece has been added. You will do the same, and will eventually have the only Wyvern in private hands.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Working...
                                          X